Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 04:18 PM

532 posts, read 1,464,844 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
Looking at Shelton houses online and it appears they are very reasonably priced,based on lot size and square footage of house.
Have read all the posts here regarding Shelton and have not seen any negatives,except some neighboring towns have higher rated school systems.
Any reason not to move here?
We do not have to commute to work.
We do not need the school system, but wouldn't want it to be a negative to drag homes values down in the future.
I would have to travel to Bergen county NJ for work once a week or maybe less.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by beachouse; 10-24-2020 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 07:06 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
The schools not being as good as other towns is already priced in. They’re not so bad that families avoid the town. They’re slightly better than average.

I’d rank the schools in that area 1. Orange/Trumbull, 2. Milford, 3. Shelton, 4. Stratford, 5. Derby. Middle of the pack IMO.

Shelton has low taxes and is a nice town overall. Some neighborhoods near downtown can appear rough around the edges, but overall it’s a nice, safe town. Huntington is a nice, rural-ish area.

I’d certainly spend some time there and surrounding towns before making a decision.

The Bergen drive will not be fun, easily 2 hours with traffic at rush hour, but as long as you know that, I don’t think there are any reasons not to buy in Shelton.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:07 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I lived in Shelton for a time. If you don’t need schools, then it’s a great place to be. Houses are reasonable for Fairfield County, commute is tolerable to major employment centers and it’s close to amenities. The only downside may be the rundown areas surrounding downtown/Howe Ave that had started to clean up a bit a decade ago, but stalled. As long as you avoid that immediate area, you should be just fine. The commute to Bergen shouldn’t be terrible if it’s only once a week. Merritt Parkway traffic can really be tough though.

You may want to also consider the Danbury area (Danbury, Bethel, etc) for what may be an easier Bergen commute.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:51 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
If you may need to be in north NJ every week, look arc Bethel, Danbury, New Milford, or even parts of Newtown before Shelton. The commute to Bergen will probably be easier, or at least more predictable.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:15 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Hello all,
Looking at Shelton houses online and it appears they are very reasonably priced,based on lot size and square footage of house.
Have read all the posts here regarding Shelton and have not seen any negatives,except some neighboring towns have higher rated school systems.
Any reason not to move here?
We do not have to commute to work.
We do not need the school system, but wouldn't want it to be a negative to drag homes values down in the future.
I would have to travel to Bergen county NJ for work once a week or maybe less.
Thanks for reading.
I live in Trumbull which borders Shelton. Shelton is a nice town and the taxes are some of the lowest in the state based on the value of house. The school system is solid/good but not as highly rated as some of the other area towns. A lot of Trumbull residents buy in Shelton for the lower taxes after their kids are finished with the schools in Trumbull.

I think Shelton house prices might have gone up more than Trumbull's over the past year. I think it's a good bet but let's check.
https://www.williampitt.com/communit.../market-report

Shelton House
Median: $423,000 (up 32% from September 2020)
Average: $424,000 (up 26% from September 2020)

Trumbull House
Median: $438,000 (up 12% from September 2020)
Average: $458,000 (up 19% from September 2020)

Shelton looks good. I am originally from Stamford. Some retired people in the Stamford area are selling houses and moving up to the Shelton, Milford, Oxford areas etc. My brother is retired and has a house in Stamford and he is thinking of doing the same thing.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I lived in Shelton for a time. If you don’t need schools, then it’s a great place to be. Houses are reasonable for Fairfield County, commute is tolerable to major employment centers and it’s close to amenities. The only downside may be the rundown areas surrounding downtown/Howe Ave that had started to clean up a bit a decade ago, but stalled. As long as you avoid that immediate area, you should be just fine. The commute to Bergen shouldn’t be terrible if it’s only once a week. Merritt Parkway traffic can really be tough though.

You may want to also consider the Danbury area (Danbury, Bethel, etc) for what may be an easier Bergen commute.
We went to Danbury.
I didn't like the downtown.one of the chain eateries had the bathroom door locked and there were a few people standing outside who appeared to be on something.
Went to the Panera Bread in the shopping center and it was nice.
Was looking for a town close to the highway so the weekly drive would be easier.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The schools not being as good as other towns is already priced in. They’re not so bad that families avoid the town. They’re slightly better than average.

I’d rank the schools in that area 1. Orange/Trumbull, 2. Milford, 3. Shelton, 4. Stratford, 5. Derby. Middle of the pack IMO.

Shelton has low taxes and is a nice town overall. Some neighborhoods near downtown can appear rough around the edges, but overall it’s a nice, safe town. Huntington is a nice, rural-ish area.

I’d certainly spend some time there and surrounding towns before making a decision.

The Bergen drive will not be fun, easily 2 hours with traffic at rush hour, but as long as you know that, I don’t think there are any reasons not to buy in Shelton.
Thanks for the info.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Is this because driving on Route 7 is preferable to 95 east of Norwalk?

Old 10-25-2020, 07:44 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Quote:
Yikes - please talk to a realtor who knows western CT and please take your time to familiarize yourself with traffic patterns and routes before considering a move. Route 7 basically has nothing to do with a commute to Bergen County.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:01 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
No. From Danbury, you would take 84/684/287 (or Sawmill) over Tappan Zee. Danbury area provides an easier commute to lower Westchester and Rockland, and traffic isn’t as bad as coming from Shelton on the Merritt Parkway.

If you didn’t like Danbury, definitely look at Bethel. It’s a tad nicer than Shelton, IMO. But Shelton is a good place to look, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut