U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 PM

15 posts, read 21,765 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the "reverse post," but I figured I'd get more responses here than on the CT board. I've lived in Chapel Hill/Carrboro for the last 23 years, and I'm moving to CT for a job in Westport. Can anybody suggest a town in Fairfield County that has an eclectic, diverse feel similar to Chapel Hill/Carrboro? The closest thing I've been able to find is South Norwalk. Greenwich and Westport seemed too snobby, and Stamford too generic and commercial. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 04:00 PM

1,246 posts, read 3,959,533 times
My husband grew up in Norwalk/Westport and he agrees that the closest you will find to Chapel Hill is probably SoNo.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:02 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,627,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgheel View Post
Sorry for the "reverse post," but I figured I'd get more responses here than on the CT board. I've lived in Chapel Hill/Carrboro for the last 23 years, and I'm moving to CT for a job in Westport. Can anybody suggest a town in Fairfield County that has an eclectic, diverse feel similar to Chapel Hill/Carrboro? The closest thing I've been able to find is South Norwalk. Greenwich and Westport seemed too snobby, and Stamford too generic and commercial. Thanks!
My sister lives in downtown Norwalk (in fact she has for the last 20 years or so) and works in Stamford. We grew up in Wilton. My brother and his family live in Milford (definitely don't recommend that area). I can't think of too many areas that I would consider eclectic or similar to CH/Carrboro. Most of that part of CT you might find snobby. I would definitely consider Norwalk, especially if schools aren't your first priority. Ridgefield might be another possibility--seems to have less of a snobby feel, at least when we lived there.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:08 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,872,850 times
Moved from the NC forums.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:15 PM

15,777 posts, read 22,061,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
My sister lives in downtown Norwalk (in fact she has for the last 20 years or so) and works in Stamford. We grew up in Wilton. My brother and his family live in Milford (definitely don't recommend that area). I can't think of too many areas that I would consider eclectic or similar to CH/Carrboro. Most of that part of CT you might find snobby. I would definitely consider Norwalk, especially if schools aren't your first priority. Ridgefield might be another possibility--seems to have less of a snobby feel, at least when we lived there.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't recommend living in Milford. It's a great shoreline town, excellent schools, very safe, nice neighborhoods (none that I wouldn't consider living in). It's a middle to upper class suburban town - hardly a town people "don't recommend." It's now becoming a bedroom community of NYC.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,284,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not sure why you wouldn't recommend living in Milford. It's a great shoreline town, excellent schools, very safe, nice neighborhoods (none that I wouldn't consider living in). It's a middle to upper class suburban town - hardly a town people "don't recommend." It's now becoming a bedroom community of NYC.

Probably because it is not the least bit "eclectic". It's a nice community more suited for: Husband, Wife, 2.4 kids, dog, etc.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM

24,690 posts, read 40,281,431 times
I do not know what Chapel Hill is like but you might want to consider the Black rock section of Bridgeport. It is a diverse area with a lot of small shops and restaurants and has some nice affordable apartments. Jay

Old 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,627,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
To me much of it lacks charm and I think "excellent" referring to the schools is an exaggeration. The OP would IMO be very disappointed with Milford after living in CH/Carrboro plus the commute would be less than ideal.

ETA: This post was originally on the Raleigh forum, so I didn't mean to offend anyone--just giving my honest opinion. The OP probably wouldn't want to live in the town I live in (Cary, NC) either.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:47 PM

15 posts, read 21,765 times
Thanks for the advice, everybody. Are the areas surrounding downtown South Norwalk really sketchy? Would you feel uncomfortable walking around at night?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:51 PM

15,777 posts, read 22,061,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
To me much of it lacks charm and I think "excellent" referring to the schools is an exaggeration. The OP would IMO be very disappointed with Milford after living in CH/Carrboro plus the commute would be less than ideal.

ETA: This post was originally on the Raleigh forum, so I didn't mean to offend anyone--just giving my honest opinion. The OP probably wouldn't want to live in the town I live in (Cary, NC) either.
Milford, away from Route 1, has lots of charm. Downtown, along the beaches, etc.

Also when compared nationally, Milford schools are excellent. When comparing the district with CT, they are average.

I agree that the commute will be a headache going south along I-95 during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or