Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 05:06 AM

4,478 posts, read 6,731,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Glastonbury is a beautiful town. It has excellent schools, a great downtown with many nice stores and restaurants, beautiful parks, a great library and two cute branch libraries and lots of things for families to do. A lot of Glastonbury has public water and sewers. But a lot of the town is in well and septic as well so be cautious in your search. MYou should however be able to get a nice home for your budget there.

The problem with commuting to The Hartford from Glastonbury is traffic on Route 2 and I-84 between Glastonbury and Hartford is heavy. It moves slow through East Hartford and then there is about a one mile backup of traffic on the flyover ramp to I-84 westbound to cross the Connecticut River. Once on I-84 westbound, traffic generally moves well but be warned this section of highway is among the busiest and most accident prone in the state. That said, depending where in Glastonbury you live you are talking between a 30 and 45 minute commute. Some days it might take an hour or more.

As I said, Glastonbury is great but there are equally great towns that would give you a shorter, less difficult commute. West Hartford would give you that and much more of it has public water and sewer. I would sugg3st visiting these towns to compare them. Jay
It has been my experience that accessing Asylum Ave/The Hartford from much of Glastonbury is far easier than from Canton, parts of Simsbury, most of Avon, Granby, parts of Farmington, and Burlington. RT 44 is very congested. RT 4 is very congested. RT 84 into Hartford is REALLY congested. I lived in Granby. The commute is long and has its own tie ups in Granby Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 05:59 AM

276 posts, read 278,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal2020 View Post
I will be transferring to The Hartford in the next six months from out-of-state and working out of the headquarters office on Asylum Avenue in the Hartford Plaza. I am looking to purchase a home in a surrounding town. I don't know much about the area but have been doing online research which seems to suggest that it is beneficial to live in an area that does not involve commuting through downtown Hartford. I am not sure which part of the city where The Hartford is located. Would it be an "easier" commute from places like Avon & Simsbury, or Glastonbury, or a place like South Windsor which I believe is even further out? I realize that traffic is tough anywhere around Hartford. Schools are an important consideration. Anyone have any suggestions for surrounding towns with a better commute to The Hartford? Thanks in advance!
Avon or Simsbury. I prefer Avon over Simsbury, in my opinion, more convenient to stores and better accessibility to Route 84, both school districts are excellent. Glastonbury is also very nice, good schools but much larger school district. If a larger school district doesn't matter to you, then Glastonbury might be a better choice for summer living. This is much better if you would enjoy going to the Rhode Island beaches. We spent time at the RI beaches, but far from Avon.
Schools were very important to us when we transferred there and lived there for 10 years. We were extremely satisfied with Avon School System. In my opinion, Avon, Simsbury, or Glastonbury are the best districts for schools and a decent commute to downtown. We enjoyed our time in the Farmington Valley.
Very safe area. Good Luck!

Old 11-25-2020, 01:58 PM

34,648 posts, read 56,419,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
It has been my experience that accessing Asylum Ave/The Hartford from much of Glastonbury is far easier than from Canton, parts of Simsbury, most of Avon, Granby, parts of Farmington, and Burlington. RT 44 is very congested. RT 4 is very congested. RT 84 into Hartford is REALLY congested. I lived in Granby. The commute is long and has its own tie ups in Granby Center.
You are right that it could take as long or maybe even longer from some of the outer parts of the Farmington River Valley. I thought I had said or implied that but I guess it was not clear. Thanks for noting that.

I will say that I have a friend that commutes from Burlington to East Hartford and he does it in under 45 minutes. The Hartford is a lot closer to Burlington than East Hartford.

Also a family member used to commute from West Simsbury to The Hartford and it was under 45 minutes. They did not use Route 4, Route 44 or I-84. They used Route 185.

Right or wrong, there is a stigma with crossing the Connecticut River. There are not a lot of options to cross it if one of the bridges or highways have an accident that slows or stops traffic and there always seems to be an accident on I-84 that does that when commuting from Glastonbury. That is why I am being so cautious in my recommendations. Jay

Old 11-25-2020, 02:14 PM

508 posts, read 340,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
THIS. Due to the congestion on Rt 4 (even on weekends!!!!), I would not across the board say a west of the River commute is shorter or easier. The answer is “it depends.” I would 100% rather commute to The Hartford from Glastonbury versus Burlington, for example. I say this as someone who has commuted into Hartford from that area. I would avoid a Rt 4 to 84 commute if at all possible. The bulk of your commute will be spent sitting on Rt 4 barely moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut