U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 07:15 PM

1,826 posts, read 648,059 times

Advertisements

Port Chester is unlike its neighbors.
http:////www.city-data.com/city/Port...-New-York.html
Attached Thumbnails
Greenwich Vs Darien: Easiest commute to Grand central-races-port-chester-ny.png  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 07:41 PM

74 posts, read 30,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramre View Post
So we spoke with a Greenwich realtor and she suggested homes in Glenville based on our budget/sq. footage needs.

Any idea why the Western side of the town is priced significantly lower than the Eastern parts like Cos Cob/Riverside/Old Greenwich? Western Middle school appears a bit more diverse socio-economically, which is fine with us. My concern is more about any possible structural reasons: Is it in a flood-zone or in the noise path of planes going to/from Westchester county airport etc? Or is the commute to the city a hassle from Glenville?

Apparently Glenville area is closer to the Port Chester train station than the main Greenwich station. Would love to hear if anyone has experience driving/parking at Port Chester and taking the Metro North trains from there.
Last I read (this was 3 years ago though so do your own research) getting a parking pass at the station was very difficult/I don’t know it’s it’s possible for non-residents of the town. You might have to park further and walk or something. Now that’s also true of many other stations, so it’s something to look into.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:41 PM

18,745 posts, read 25,543,801 times
Quote:
So we spoke with a Greenwich realtor and she suggested homes in Glenville based on our budget/sq. footage needs.

Any idea why the Western side of the town is priced significantly lower than the Eastern parts like Cos Cob/Riverside/Old Greenwich? Western Middle school appears a bit more diverse socio-economically, which is fine with us. My concern is more about any possible structural reasons: Is it in a flood-zone or in the noise path of planes going to/from Westchester county airport etc? Or is the commute to the city a hassle from Glenville?

Apparently Glenville area is closer to the Port Chester train station than the main Greenwich station. Would love to hear if anyone has experience driving/parking at Port Chester and taking the Metro North trains from there.
Unless you live right on the Byram River, I can’t imagine anywhere in Glenville/Pemberwick is much of a flood zone. Re: airport, the majority of landing flights at HPN seem to approach from the north. Departing I believe depart west, but I’d double check. The real reason is homes in Glenville tend to be older, closer together and on smaller lots, but not as tightly packed as Byram.

It’s a solid area with good schools. I personally know a Greenwich police officer who lives there and speaks highly of it.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:05 AM

29,677 posts, read 46,716,346 times
Quote:

Every town has its More and less desirable neighborhoods. It has to do with a lot of small things like ease of commute, socio-economic make up of its residents, housing type, etc.

The western side of Greenwich has always been less desirable than other sections of town but that does not mean it is bad. It tends to be more working class if there still is that in Greenwich. That said, in reality, it is still a great place to live. Grenville has a nice small village area and the schools are very good, though they perform lower on standardized tests. I do not believe that matters unless you get caught up in the whole social status frenzy.

Parking at or near the train station in Port Chester is limited and has a waitlist but according to the link below parking does become available. You do not have to be a resident to get a permit. Jay

https://suburbs101.com/metro-north-t...g-westchester/

Old 02-01-2021, 05:46 AM

597 posts, read 1,819,522 times
"Wife loves towns that have the New England look and feel"...which is funny since this part of Fairfield County is New England in geography only (it's NY....Fairfield County is a fashion statement). I lived and commuted to NYC from Greenwich years ago...very easy commute to Grand Central. There is a price difference between Darien and Greenwich though for housing. I grew up in the Farmington Valley which is not cheap but it's all relative (Farmington Valley is New England...there is no real connection to NYC there).

Old 02-01-2021, 12:30 PM

18,745 posts, read 25,543,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
"Wife loves towns that have the New England look and feel"...which is funny since this part of Fairfield County is New England in geography only (it's NY....Fairfield County is a fashion statement). I lived and commuted to NYC from Greenwich years ago...very easy commute to Grand Central. There is a price difference between Darien and Greenwich though for housing. I grew up in the Farmington Valley which is not cheap but it's all relative (Farmington Valley is New England...there is no real connection to NYC there).
Greenwich is New England too, right down to Byram. Aesthetically, not culturally.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:44 PM

55 posts, read 28,317 times
Update:

We're still looking in Greenwich/Darien, waiting for inventory to come online. Hopefully more folks get the vaccine & start selling!

This house is a good example of the location I'm trying to get. 5 minute walk to Cos Cob train and access to playground/town etc. Too bad the house needs a lot of work. We're ok with updating baths, finishing basement etc, but not structural changes like adding a bedroom/bathroom. Just don't have the stomach for living amid construction even though we can afford it financially.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...57312184_zpid/

Old 02-01-2021, 03:56 PM

29,677 posts, read 46,716,346 times
Quote:
Update:

We're still looking in Greenwich/Darien, waiting for inventory to come online. Hopefully more folks get the vaccine & start selling!

This house is a good example of the location I'm trying to get. 5 minute walk to Cos Cob train and access to playground/town etc. Too bad the house needs a lot of work. We're ok with updating baths, finishing basement etc, but not structural changes like adding a bedroom/bathroom. Just don't have the stomach for living amid construction even though we can afford it financially.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...57312184_zpid/
The three most important things in real estate are location, location and location. This house looks to have that in spades but I will admit it is a bizarre house. Who puts a bathroom off the kitchen away from the three secondary bedrooms. You’d have to reconfigure that whole area (bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen). Somebody could make a killing here if the price is right. Given they had a price drop almost two months ago and it still hasn’t sold tells me they have no choice. Jay

Old 02-01-2021, 06:48 PM

1,826 posts, read 648,059 times
I suppose that the unusual floor plan is the result of an addition or two being added to the original house.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:42 PM

55 posts, read 28,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I suppose that the unusual floor plan is the result of an addition or two being added to the original house.
Most of the house has Central cooling, but the Master bedroom has a Window AC. That part must have been an addition. Little things like that aren’t consistent and made us sour on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut