Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 11:24 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Avon is one of the top suburbs of Hartford. It is among the most affluent as well with many newer large expensive homes. It’s hard to compare it to the long time super wealthy towns of Fairfield County. To me it is not comparable to Greenwich, Fairfield, Darien or Westport. Those are older more dense towns with old line walkable town centers. I also don’t think it’s similar to Brookfield Trumbull or Monroe which are more middle class.

While Newtown and Ridgefield may be a possible comparisons, to me I would think Wilton is the best comparable. While income is a lot higher in Wilton, the cost of housing kind of offsets the income difference meaning that higher income is needed to buy a similar home. Wilton is a largely low density town like Avon. Both lack a large walkable town center. Most of their commercial and retail development is car oriented and is found along major state routes (Routes 7 or 44). Though Wilton is more mature, the homes in both towns tend to be larger (over 3,000 square feet) and on larger parcels of land (acre or more). Just like Avon, Wilton has a few newer apartment complexes. And the schools and activities are similar. For all that I’d go with Wilton when making s comparison. Jay
Having lived near Wilton and having in-laws from Simsbury, formerly from Avon, I can’t say I agree that Wilton demographics are at all similar to Avon. It is two completely different types of people.

It’s important to remember a home is a one time purchase and income is continuous. For that, I don’t think the ratio of income to home price is proper when determining which towns are more similar. Wilton has a home price of about 800k, with Avon’s at 370k, making Avon within reach for the middle class. That’s not so in Wilton. It’s also important to note that Wilton has generational money, where many families who register low six figure incomes have many millions.

For the most part, there’s a demographic in Wilton that just doesn’t exist in Avon (super wealthy), and there’s a demographic in Avon that just doesn’t exist in Wilton (working middle class).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2021, 01:43 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Having lived near Wilton and having in-laws from Simsbury, formerly from Avon, I can’t say I agree that Wilton demographics are at all similar to Avon. It is two completely different types of people.

It’s important to remember a home is a one time purchase and income is continuous. For that, I don’t think the ratio of income to home price is proper when determining which towns are more similar. Wilton has a home price of about 800k, with Avon’s at 370k, making Avon within reach for the middle class. That’s not so in Wilton. It’s also important to note that Wilton has generational money, where many families who register low six figure incomes have many millions.

For the most part, there’s a demographic in Wilton that just doesn’t exist in Avon (super wealthy), and there’s a demographic in Avon that just doesn’t exist in Wilton (working middle class).
I have to disagree with you. Wilton has fewer super wealthy than towns like Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Westport and even Fairfield. You just don’t have as many of the big estates in Wilton that the super wealthy tend to live in. Wilton is mostly made up of high income families with school age children just like Avon. The residents of both towns are more highly educated as well so I think they are very similar.

I think you underestimate the affluence that exists in Avon. As I said the difference in home prices does compensate for the difference in income. Avon is where many Hartford area executives live as well as ESPN executives and well paid on-air personalities. There are many prominent business owners, doctors and lawyers living there as well. I believe you will find that Wilton is similar. For these reasons I believe the two towns are as similar as you are going to get. Jay

Old 05-15-2021, 03:11 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I agree. I do feel like the more affluent parts of Avon have some similarities to Wilton, but as a whole, Avon is more similar to a northern Fairfield town.

Old 05-15-2021, 06:29 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I think MichelleQunnipiac has good instincts. Avon is up there. Look at this list. It is right below Fairfield.
https://www.courant.com/news/connect...htmlstory.html

I have never been to Avon and the Hartford area only a few times so had to look it up. Now I am curious to go there.
Raw data won't describe a vibe, or character of a town. If you never visited Avon well .......it's like comparing 2 paintings.
Both same size, sold for similar money........ok what else

Old 05-15-2021, 08:47 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to disagree with you. Wilton has fewer super wealthy than towns like Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Westport and even Fairfield. You just don’t have as many of the big estates in Wilton that the super wealthy tend to live in. Wilton is mostly made up of high income families with school age children just like Avon. The residents of both towns are more highly educated as well so I think they are very similar.

I think you underestimate the affluence that exists in Avon. As I said the difference in home prices does compensate for the difference in income. Avon is where many Hartford area executives live as well as ESPN executives and well paid on-air personalities. There are many prominent business owners, doctors and lawyers living there as well. I believe you will find that Wilton is similar. For these reasons I believe the two towns are as similar as you are going to get. Jay
Wilton has a large assortment of estate sized homes that carry large price tags exceeding $Ms. These are a far cry from 370K. I'm issuing a mulligan here.
I would have to agree with KY and HV. Brookfield, Newtown, Monroe Trumbull sound about right.

Old 05-15-2021, 08:47 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Raw data won't describe a vibe, or character of a town. If you never visited Avon well .......it's like comparing 2 paintings.
Both same size, sold for similar money........ok what else
MichelleQunnipiac described it to us. I take her word for it. This is how she described it.
"I've driven to Avon with my boyfriend, and we had fallen in love with it! It is absolutely gorgeous. It is the number one spot to live in Connecticut"

She knows Fairfield County so I take her work for it. That is why I want to go see it. Here is another point. Avon has the highest income in the Hartford area. I kind of don't need to go there to figure out it's probably pretty awesome.

Look at these incomes. I have been to all the towns on this list and know all pretty well except Woodbridge. I was born and raised in Stamford and have friends in relatives in all the Fairfield county towns listed. They are all really nice towns. More money buys nicer things. I am going to take and educated guess between Avon's income and MichelleQunnipiac descriptions Avon is a really nice place. That is why I want to go see it.

Town Median Income
https://www.courant.com/news/connect...htmlstory.html
Weston............$219,868
Darien.............$208,848......Median House Sales Price: $1.6M*
Westport..........$181,360
Wilton..............$180,313
New Canaan.....$174,677
Ridgefield.........$151,399
Woodbridge.......$138,320
Greenwich.........$138,180
Easton...............$136,786
Redding.............$129,763
Fairfield.............$127,746
Avon..................$125,536.....Median House Sales Price: $692,000*

The people in Avon actually have more disposable income than the people living in Darien. I know I have relatives there. In relative terms they are the Darien of the Hartford area.

A picture is worth a thousand words. An average house in Avon and one in Darien.
Avon, Connecticut - Comparison-avon.jpg

*https://www.williampitt.com/communit.../market-report

Old 05-15-2021, 11:34 PM

Avon’s median home sale price is NOT 692k. Most data suggests it is just a tad more than half of that.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:52 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
Quick search on Realtor.com claims the median price is $412k. Not sure if accurate, but it's closer to the real number.
Avon is a nice town. OP was asking what it's similar too.
Wilton, Brookfield have a similar feel. Sure others do too.

Income, wealth. Two very different things.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:22 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Wilton has a large assortment of estate sized homes that carry large price tags exceeding $Ms. These are a far cry from 370K. I'm issuing a mulligan here.
I would have to agree with KY and HV. Brookfield, Newtown, Monroe Trumbull sound about right.
I don’t think you or others making this comment know Avon. Avon has large estates too.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...23858085_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...82595742_zpid/

Here are what the average $700,000 single family home is like.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...58127144_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...09739054_zpid/

When you look at these homes you certainly don’t think Brookfield, Monroe or Trumbull. Maybe Newtown. You don’t have estates in those first three towns. There may be some large homes but they aren’t the rule. There’s more of them in Avon. Also Avon is home to many of greater Hartford’s top executives. You can’t say that about Brookfield, Monroe or Trumbull. I still stand by Wilton. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 05-16-2021 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Added last paragraph

Old 05-16-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Income, wealth. Two very different things.
Exactly. I know both towns fairly well and Wilton has far more uber wealth than Avon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut