Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 11:11 AM

31 posts, read 19,059 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in Old Greenwich, CT and have been looking at purchasing a second home outside of Fairfield County to serve as our summer retreat away from the city.

We are looking for a home 5K+ sqft with a pool and land that is surrounded by a scenic landscape (a nice view would be ideal) with good thruway access.

Budget: 750K-$1.25M

What towns in New Haven and Litchfield Counties would you recommend we look at that could satisfy our needs?

All recommendations are welcomed! Thank you!

Last edited by MR09; 06-13-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 11:26 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,916,542 times
You don’t mention a price range but you’ll probably want to start in Roxbury, Bridgewater, Washington, Litchfield itself, Goshen, Warren, etc.

They are all beautiful towns. I say look for a house you like over a specific community.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:51 AM

1,294 posts, read 2,599,782 times
Your answer may depend most on what you want for "scenic landscape" -- is that water(front) views, rolling green hills, a hilltop vista? In New Haven+Middlesex Counties, you could look along the Metacomet Ridge for properties with some elevation and a vista, the shoreline from Branford through Old Saybrook for water (Sound) views, towns north of I-95/Route 80 from Bethany through Killingworth for rural landscapes, Haddam through Old Saybrook/Old Lyme for CT River views. For a summer place, my personal choice would be Branford or Madison.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Your answer may depend most on what you want for "scenic landscape" -- is that water(front) views, rolling green hills, a hilltop vista? In New Haven+Middlesex Counties, you could look along the Metacomet Ridge for properties with some elevation and a vista, the shoreline from Branford through Old Saybrook for water (Sound) views, towns north of I-95/Route 80 from Bethany through Killingworth for rural landscapes, Haddam through Old Saybrook/Old Lyme for CT River views. For a summer place, my personal choice would be Branford or Madison.
Ideally a hilltop vista or rolling green hills. Nothing too rural but some farm land is fine. We first looked at Wallingford near the vineyards (many estates overlook the landscape and its quite breathtaking), however, those properties are not for sale. I live on the water in Old Greenwich, so we are looking for an alternate scenic view.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You don’t mention a price range but you’ll probably want to start in Roxbury, Bridgewater, Washington, Litchfield itself, Goshen, Warren, etc.

They are all beautiful towns. I say look for a house you like over a specific community.
Thanks! Actively looking at Bridgewater.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:44 PM

21,487 posts, read 27,723,916 times
All the towns kidyankee mentioned.

Plus Woodbury, Southbury, Oxford, Woodbridge, Bethany.

On the other side of New Haven around lower CT River valley is stunning too—Killingworth, north Guilford/Madison, Durham, Chester, Deep River, Essex, Lyme, Haddam, East Haddam, Salem, etc.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:46 PM

413 posts, read 593,299 times
New Milford has some great landscapes and is in your budget. Middlebury (tranquility drive around lake Quassy) is gorgeous as well, although I think some of those homes go into the 2-3M+ range. The popular southern Litchfield county towns might be out of your budget (unless you're willing to compromise on square footage).

Lower CT river valley as Stylo mentioned is very scenic as well. Nice mix of hills, rural landscapes, and waterfront.

Farmington valley also has some great scenery and is in your budget with amenities you'd probably appreciate.

Last edited by RiskReturn; 06-13-2021 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-13-2021, 12:52 PM

13,962 posts, read 13,726,329 times
You would love Madison, Guilford, Old Saybrook, East Lyme, Old Lyme, Deep River and short trips to New London, Mystic and Newport RI to explore.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:19 PM

1,924 posts, read 2,015,909 times
Add Bethlehem and Morris to the list - there are occasionally some lovely properties in both towns at that price point. The inventory in the 750-1.5M range is a little slim across the area right now, though. There are a few houses in Woodbury and Middlebury of that size that may be worth checking out. Look near Lake Quassapaug in Middlebury or off of Flanders Road or route 132 in Woodbury

Last edited by hvexpatinct; 06-13-2021 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-13-2021, 05:42 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,948,053 times
Roxbury, Washington, and Warren are good places to start your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut