Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 07:41 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Actually, to check this claim, I used the same strategy with Facebook likes to see where that line is. Hartford is the line with Wethersfield being pro Yankees and Windsor being pro Sox. Oddly enough... it's West Hartford that's pro Sox and East Hartford that's pro Yankees (although Manchester is obviously pro Sox again and so is any town closer to Boston).

That actually happens more than you think - many of the more urban (and poorer) towns have more NY fans than their immediate surroundings due to more NY influx despite sometimes being further from NYC.

Perfect example:

Fairfield: Sox 3700 likes, Yanks 7600 likes (Yanks outnumber Sox 2.05 to 1)

BPT: Sox 4200 likes, Yanks 11000 likes (Yanks outnumber Sox 2.62 to 1)
One of the New York papers did a similar study years ago and they said the line was south of Hartford (Wethersfield is just south of Hartford). I remember it because we did our own survey in the office and it was surprisingly accurate. People that lived south of Hartford were all pretty much Yankee fans. Those north of it were Red Sox. Since I and a couple of those coworkers lived literally within a couple feet (one guy’s backyard is literally in East Hartford) to a couple hundred feet of East Hartford, it does not surprise me it’s a Yankee town. I don’t think we had anyone who actually lived in East Hartford when we did our survey but the Manchester and further north people were Red Sox fans. Strange. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 07:43 PM

11,972 posts, read 7,714,784 times
Simsbury, Farmington, and Avon are cumulatively 65-70% Red Sox fans.. which I find weird. Oddly high.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:52 PM

953 posts, read 581,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Simsbury, Farmington, and Avon are cumulatively 65-70% Red Sox fans.. which I find weird. Oddly high.
I'm not too sure about that. The three town region has 6400 Sox likes and 5500 Yanks likes (and 1900 Yanks likes).

So that's 46.3% Sox, 39.8% Yanks, and 13.7% Mets. They have a sizeable plurality, but not even a majority.

If anything this shows me how much better the Pats do in CT than any team with "Boston" in their name... marketing all of New England was a really smart choice for them!

Old 08-17-2021, 08:41 PM

6,582 posts, read 3,539,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The line between Red Sox and Yankee territory lies somewhere just south of Hartforc. By putting the Red Sox minor league team in Hartford, in theory, could push that line further south, likely all the way to Fairfield County.

Hartford did not have the money for Dunkin Donuts Park and yet that got built without state funds. The state refused to get involved because Hartford was building the stadium to steal the New Britain Rock Cats who were talking to Springfield. I’m sure the state would not have had a problem stealing the Paw Sox from a Rhode Island. The state created the Capital Region Development Authority for this very purpose. If Hartford hadn’t put it’s all into the Yardgoats p, I’m sure Connecticut would have been right there with a comparable offer. It’s the Red Sox lose IMHO. Jay
Mets and Yankee fans aren't converting if the Red Sox put an affiliated team in Hartford.

They just blew a 10 game lead in July over the Yankees in 20 days. Ouch!

Old 08-17-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
I'm not too sure about that. The three town region has 6400 Sox likes and 5500 Yanks likes (and 1900 Yanks likes).

So that's 46.3% Sox, 39.8% Yanks, and 13.7% Mets. They have a sizeable plurality, but not even a majority.

If anything this shows me how much better the Pats do in CT than any team with "Boston" in their name... marketing all of New England was a really smart choice for them!
Whats the NHL like?

Old 08-17-2021, 10:01 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Mets and Yankee fans aren't converting if the Red Sox put an affiliated team in Hartford.

They just blew a 10 game lead in July over the Yankees in 20 days. Ouch!
No but the kids could be persuaded and become Red Sox fans. I’ve seen it happen in a number of families.

I know the Yankees won. I was watching the game while I’m posting here.

Old 08-17-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No but the kids could be persuaded and become Red Sox fans. I’ve seen it happen in a number of families.

I know the Yankees won. I was watching the game while I’m posting here.
In CT, more kids (I say kid.. like Im not 25.... lol ) are more likely to be a Red Sox fan if they are surrounded by Red Sox fans. Whereas, in Upstate in NY where I went college the allegiance was 60-40 Yankees:Red Sox (Barely any Mets fans...), and the kids were more likely to be Yankees fans. Adding a AAA would just solidify that more. Or if the Yankees did. It would solidiy them.

I have a lot of mutual friends whose parents in NY are Red Sox fans, but they are Yankees fans. Whereas in CT, I know a lot of people throughout the state with Yankee parents and Red Sox kids... RI too which in the 1970s was almost 25% Yankees fans, that has slipped to a bit under 10% now because of a term I like to call 'fan consolidation'. The local teams win back share over time. We see that in St. Lawrence County NY which was almost 60% Red Sox fans in 1990. Now it's lets than 45% Red Sox fans.. with Yankees hitting about 40% now.

I dont know why I typed this and what point it served, but I felt like sharing it. C s a cool place to study this because there is no stronger allegiance or pull then the NY v Boston debate, especially when it comes to sports... like you really cant do this on Phillies vs Orioles or Cardinals v Cubs. No devotion like the NE region.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:52 AM

11,242 posts, read 18,717,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
In CT, more kids (I say kid.. like Im not 25.... lol ) are more likely to be a Red Sox fan if they are surrounded by Red Sox fans. Whereas, in Upstate in NY where I went college the allegiance was 60-40 Yankees:Red Sox (Barely any Mets fans...), and the kids were more likely to be Yankees fans. Adding a AAA would just solidify that more. Or if the Yankees did. It would solidiy them.

I have a lot of mutual friends whose parents in NY are Red Sox fans, but they are Yankees fans. Whereas in CT, I know a lot of people throughout the state with Yankee parents and Red Sox kids... RI too which in the 1970s was almost 25% Yankees fans, that has slipped to a bit under 10% now because of a term I like to call 'fan consolidation'. The local teams win back share over time. We see that in St. Lawrence County NY which was almost 60% Red Sox fans in 1990. Now it's lets than 45% Red Sox fans.. with Yankees hitting about 40% now.

I dont know why I typed this and what point it served, but I felt like sharing it. C s a cool place to study this because there is no stronger allegiance or pull then the NY v Boston debate, especially when it comes to sports... like you really cant do this on Phillies vs Orioles or Cardinals v Cubs. No devotion like the NE region.
Wow except maybe if they were ex-NYers I couldn't imagine Yankees fans in RI (maybe not even eastern 1/3 of CT for that matter).

Old 08-18-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Wow except maybe if they were ex-NYers I couldn't imagine Yankees fans in RI (maybe not even eastern 1/3 of CT for that matter).
New London area is and was more Red Sox than Yankees.

But RI in the 1950s was close to half Italian. Italians favored Yankees at that time because DiMaggio etc. RI had a huge Italian American population and I think in the MLB thread some links posted showed at some time 40%+ of RI Italians supported Yankees over Red Sox. In genesis in the 70s about a quarter of RI were Yankees fans. Now thats down to about 10%. But towns like Cranston and Johnston are almost 20% Yankees still to this day. Which also happen to be the most Italian cities. If you look East Greenwich, its less than >5% Yankees. So it really is a transcendent from the past! I also think Boston had a very small Italian American Yankee fanbase in the 1960s. A few hundred in Revere and Saugus.

I think back in the day it was lessNE=Red Sox and NYS=Yankees and it was more who was being aired in the area or what immigrant group/people supported a team.

Ie, Oswego NY aired Yankees and Pulaski aired Red Sox on Radio well into the 1980s which definitely impacted fandom. Its pretty cool. But Utica aired Yankees and Saratoga only had Red Sox. It created little bubbles everywhere and then when you got to RI and CT you had huge Italian American Yankee bubbles that formed.

Then you had Mets fans come when the Dodgers and Giants left NYC.

Also.. NY Giants fandom had over 5% of locals in East MA well into the 2000s. Id also say 10% of the Silent Generation in MA were Giants fans because that was the predominant fanbase there. That was the local team before Pats. But NFL/AFL didnt have much of a fanbase until the Boston Patriots in the area.

Tying back to CT, i think as the line gets more prevalent you might see more younger Yankee fans develop southwest of Hartford County. And from Hartford County and Northeast… you might see more younger Red Sox fans. Although NYC migration might have impacted that a bit.

So with that, I dont think Hartford would be able to support a NFL or MLB team.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:09 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,734,621 times
I don't work in the sports industry but I'd have to argue that there has to be some actual financial figure when they assume that there's fan loyalty. When someone says they're a fan of a team are we looking at simply watching the game, attending a game, buying season tickets etc TV ratings are obvious but there's also streaming. I've got Fire TV and can pick up baseball games without having to subscribe to cable or the Yes Network or nesn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut