Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,409 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are one of the unlucky families trying to purchase a home in the current market, and have been trying for quite some time now. We are moving from out of state, though I grew up in Rocky Hill but haven’t been to CT for many years. It looks like we’ve finally found a house though it isn’t exactly where we wanted to land. We will be sending our son to school in west Hartford.

The home is in the northeast corner of Bristol, and I’m wondering if I can get some advice from folks living in the area or making this commute to see what it would realistically look like - any Waze trips I plan show me a 25 minute travel time one way. Is this what I should really expect? I see a lot of information in these forums about terrible traffic, but since I’m not going through Hartford proper, I’m hoping this will be manageable.

Any advice is so greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 11:25 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
You don’t say where in West Hartford you are going so I will assume it’s to West Hartford Center.

There is no direct route between Bristol and West Hartford so the commute involves mostly local roads which can be congested. Google gives me three routes to consider. All are about 20 minutes without traffic.

The shortest involves using Meadow Road to cut across Farmington to Main Street, then north to Route 4/Farmington Avenue which you’d follow to West Hartord Center.

The second would have you go out to Route 177 in Farmington, turning right to get down to Route 6, then east to I-84 east to the Trout Brook Road.

The third also takes Route 6, but instead of getting on I-84, you continue on Route 549 to South Road north to Farmington Avenue into West Hartford Center.

It is hard to say which of these would be best during rush hour traffic. Route 4 through Farmington Center is notorious for traffic so the first route could present problems. I-84 eastbound often has accidents that backs up traffic so that could mean on days you should avoid that. That leaves Route 549 to South Road as your most reliable route.

That said, I’d start an hour before you have to be there and check Waze for the best route. It has up to the minute traffic data and see which way it sends you. Good luck. Jay

Old 03-28-2022, 06:34 AM

512 posts, read 351,685 times
I would say a 30 minute commute is a fair estimate if conditions are "normal" (no snow, rain, accidents, etc.). Of course, this could go up depending on time of day. You will likely hit some school bus traffic on all of those secondary roads, which can increase your commute time. You don't say which part of WH you need to get to, but if you have to even think about touching Route 4 in Farmington, add more time onto your daily commute.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:29 AM

366 posts, read 780,471 times
Agree with the others, you're looking at 30 minutes best case, but realistically could be more like 45 minutes or more. Rte. 6 has a ton of traffic in the morning (and evening.) If you took Morea to Meadow to Rte. 10, you then have to deal with the insanity of the Rte. 10/Rte. 4 interchange, and there is probably lots of traffic right there because of Miss Porter's School. Then you have tod inch your way along Rte. 4 past the UConn Medical Center. Once you get to UConn, the stretch of Rte. 4 from UConn to WH Center is not too bad in the morning.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:24 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
I would plan on 40-50 minutes, since you mention traveling for school reasons and will be on the road when buses are running. The local roads between Bristol and West Hartford are sometimes only two lanes and often full of traffic lights. I have sat in more backups on route 4 than I care to count over the years.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,409 times
Thank you all so much for the informative responses. Sounds like we may need to look into some other school options. I really appreciate your candor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut