Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 PM

14 posts, read 30,654 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I was wondering if anyone with pets is planning to travel or is relocating from SF or bay area to Connecticut anytime soon (within the next few months). How are you planning to go? My cats don't even like traveling in a car 10 minutes to the vet without throwing a fit! Nevermind traveling cross-country, making sure they eat, eliminate, and sleep properly. Many hotels on the way won't take pets, nevermind 2! I was hoping perhaps if anyone would be interested in chartering a private jet, if we can get enough people to make it affordable, so we can take our pets on the plane with us without all the stupid rules? But I just checked the prices and I had no idea of the costs, it's insanely expensive!! Like $25,000 a flight!! So forget that idea! I've heard so many horror stories about airlines losing pets, not to mention terribly long delays going on these days. I've heard that if the plane is stuck on the ground they don't get fresh air into the hold area for pets. I am planning the trip this summer so I'm a bit worried. I also don't know what happens when they change planes. They don't have any direct flights to Bradley International. That means I have to fly into Boston or NY, then have someone drive us over two hours to Connecticut. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:20 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,514,357 times
We drove from the bay area 4 years ago to Fl with three dogs and we did find in the AAA book good pet friendly motels. We have since moved to NC and the last three trips to get settled in our new home we instead of boarding them as we had been doing took them with us. Ten hour drive from FL to NC.
You have cats and in the late 70's we had two cats, two dogs and two birds and we moved from the east coast to the west coast in the car. I found in a pet store throw away litter boxes for the cats for when we got to the motel room and that was the first thing I would put down in the motel room. I then would let the cats out of their box and they would run to the litter box. This was the first time they ever traveled and they both did well.
It can be done and if you plan it right and reserve the pet friendly motels in advance it really helps.
Good Luck

Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,995,624 times
Pets: cats can be quirky creatures- my current cat will sit somewhat uneasily in the car seat and whine. I do not know if she would be very patient in a cross country trip.

I suggest giving the cats either Valium or Buspar (from the VET) in the appropriate dosage. It will relieve the cats anxiety and stress. And cause you less problems.

Also plan ahead for pet friendly places to stay- being unable to find lodging that accepts your pets can make your journey much more difficult.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:58 AM

366 posts, read 776,995 times
I agree with Sky -- ask your vet for a sedative to relax the cats and you will all be much happier.

Here are two books which list only places that allow pets:

Traveling With Your Pet, 9th Edition: The AAA Pet Book (Traveling With Your Pet) (Paperback)

Mobil Travel Guide On The Road With Your Pet (Mobil Travel Guide: On the Road with Your Pet) (Paperback)

Good luck with your trip.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 PM

41 posts, read 157,346 times
There is a direct flight from LAX to Bradley nonstop on Delta but I think its a red eye.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:47 PM

786 posts, read 3,917,848 times
Most airlines, except Southwest, will let 1 small pet (you would have to check on 2) travel in the cabin with you as your carry on. There is a fee and it varies from airline to airline. We are debating if we should drive from San Diego this summer to Hartford with our small dog or fly. The cost estimate for shipping our car out has doubled since February not to mention the increase in air fares, but we are also unsure how it would work with a dog in the car even if we find pet friendly hotels, it will be hot and we cannot leave our dog in the car while we eat at a restaurant. Good luck to you and the cats!

Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,995,624 times
I can fully understand your dilemma Criss. Traveling with pets in a car in the heat of summer is no easy task- be they cat or dog.

The costs for Jet fuel if you fly plus transporting your car-well the prices have gone into the stratosphere. If traveling from San Diego, the quickest route is going to be along the souther tier of states- However the route; I 40, to I 44, to I 70 from St. Louis east to PA- then in NJ I 95 North. This route may be less hot as a strictly west to east on I 40 or I 10. Good luck!

And yes leaving the dog in the car, is not an option while eating- take out looks like it is going to be your main choice.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:29 AM

170 posts, read 647,422 times
I actually drove from CT to New Mexico in January with my 2 cats and it went really well. Granted one of my cats is like a dog and absolutley LOVES the car, and my other cat I swear is hyperactive but for some reason the drive made him really sleepy and he slept most of the time in the car (and was active in the hotel rooms lol). I like you was paranoid about having my pets fly due to the horror stories I've heard. It is more expensive to drive though since gas prices are so high, especially during the summer but if you find a good route (I traveled I-40 most of the way) it shouldn't be too bad. I had my step-father plan the route for me in safe places to stop along the way with pet friendly hotels, and there are quite a bit out there. If you are keen on flying however make sure you call your airline in advance to let them know you are bringing a pet (have someone else go with you so your other cat can be their "carry on") and you have to arrive at the airport early.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:59 PM

220 posts, read 468,678 times
I drove from CT to San Francisco in '93 with my three cats. I think I took six days, and it was fine. I had sedatives from the vet, just in case, and ended up having to use them on two. Stan lost his mind in the van during the drive, but was fine once medicated. Gilly lost it (howling non-stop) once we were in the motel room, but again, drugs solved the problem! I stayed only at Motel 6. It's cheap, always convenient, and consistently clean and reliable. They also have maps in the lobby with mileages so you can plan your trip each day from one motel 6 to the next. And, they take pets. Of course, I usually said "cat" rather than "cats", but not a big deal. No one needs to know you have 2. Oh, a REALLY important point: I would get everything into the room and get completely settled before I let them out of the carriers, and once they were out the door wasn't opened again until the next day when we were ready to leave and they were in the carrier. It's just not worth taking any chances. Four years later I did the same thing in reverse, and agian it went very well, no issues. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:51 PM

199 posts, read 711,533 times
I too did this trip (OC to PA) with two kids (1 - 18 months old, 1 - 7 years old) two dogs, and a crazy siamese cat and 3 adults. We had two cars, and it was dead center in summer. We medicated the cat, did not the dogs (since the kids went with me, Grandma who had the air conditioner, in addition to the two dogs, could have used some meds for the kids LOL). The cat which usually howls at everything that is the least bit abnormal, did quite well. We planned on 5 days, it took 6 (due to a minor car repair). Let the cat out when we got into the room, used soda pop case bottoms for litter boxes with a liner. Most Super 8's will allow at least one pet (lie on the other one if necessary), also some nice LaQuinta's will take them (not all, so check), usually made our reservation for the following night when we stopped. The AAA book on traveling with pets is a god send. I needed a little nip of the old jug when we did stop at night, but I survived and most importantly, so did the kids!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut