Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 07:49 AM

575 posts, read 3,124,005 times

Advertisements

Another piece of Connecticut history is slated for the wrecking ball. I find it terrible that towns across the state are under attack from developers targeting historic properties or architectual gems. Then again, it comes down to what prevails; property rights vs. historic preservation? Where is the balance and what can be improved. You can read the story in The Courant Another Historic Greenwich House To Be Demolished -- -- Courant.com

http://www.courant.com/media/photo/2008-05/39228129.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:15 AM

371 posts, read 1,563,003 times
That is a beautiful house! That just sucks.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:18 AM

95 posts, read 319,619 times
That is a nice house. Im usually for knocking them down, but in this case that one should stay

Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,972,037 times
I saw this on the news last evening- so sad. A state with so many treasures as this, a local municipality decides to demolish them like they are worthless. Seems like the local historical society has been ineffective- or local developers have too much power. I know here in Tolland county this kind of cultural rape would not happen.

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-25-2008 at 09:14 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 09:16 AM

575 posts, read 3,124,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I saw this on the news last evening- so sad. A state with so many treasures as this, a local municipality decides to demolish them like they are worthless. Seems like the local historical society has been ineffective- or local developers have too much power. I know here in Tolland county this kind of cultural rape would not happen.

Wasn't a Walgreens approved on Rt. 44 in Coventry, which also entailed that the 18th centry farm house and barns be demolished ? Coventry Gives Walgreens Narrow Approval -- -- Courant.com

Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,972,037 times
You know glxyman21

I do not know-perhaps you are right- if this happened, shame on Coventry. I do know here in Vernon we have a very nice historical district- where I live; downtown Rockville has some wonderful churches and homes. I do know that Vernon rejected a Home Depot and Super Walmart in the last few years At least we can slow this kind of mindless destruction of our history here.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:32 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,772,668 times
You have to bear in mind that many times(not always), these "historic" properties could be saved if the town(s) modified their zoning to permit a subdivision of the land that the home is sitting on. The downside of that allowance is increased density and an unfair(?) boost in the subdivided properties value. Which is the lesser evil?
It would be nice if properties like these could be relocated to a more depressed area of certain cities(i'm not picking on **********!) to be used as something of a catalyst to revive the area. I think properties like this would work well if modified for professional use or as condominiums.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:05 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,563,176 times
Are they OUT OF THEIR FREAKIN MIND?!?!

Looks to be a VERY well built home from the looks on the outside and to be replaced with garbage in comparison.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,931,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
Wasn't a Walgreens approved on Rt. 44 in Coventry, which also entailed that the 18th centry farm house and barns be demolished ? Coventry Gives Walgreens Narrow Approval -- -- Courant.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
You know glxyman21

I do not know-perhaps you are right- if this happened, shame on Coventry. I do know here in Vernon we have a very nice historical district- where I live; downtown Rockville has some wonderful churches and homes. I do know that Vernon rejected a Home Depot and Super Walmart in the last few years At least we can slow this kind of mindless destruction of our history here.
It's not as bad as the article makes it out to be.

The area they are building in is hardly a pristine historic district. It's the intersection of RT31S and Rt44 - the crossroads of Coventry. Across the street is a new plaza with Dunkin Donuts, a new bank and a new CVS. Across the street the other way is the Highland Park market plaza.

If ANYWHERE in Coventry something like that walgreens belongs, it's right there in the small retail shopping area.

Downtown Coventry with the Bidwell and such remains untouched.

But lets also get real here...there is a large dairy farm about 1/4 mile up the road from this walgreens, a very large well known antique barn about 200' up the road and it's all very rural.

http://www.ctchristians.com/personal02/forum/coventry-walg.jpg (broken link)

This place if anything will serve the needs of the people of Coventry and IMO has been put in the proper place for such an establishment. It's not like they are building on the Nathan Hale homestead.

I'm not for uncontrolled demolition of history and sprawl etc etc but at the same time I'm for making the lives of those in the area better served. Being able to run down the street to a "drug store" when your kid has a 102 fever instead of driving 30 minutes is a nice option to have.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:10 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,843,211 times
It is such a shame to see historic properties bulldozed in favor or "progress", or convenience. If people want convenience, they should have moved to another location from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut