Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:41 AM

113 posts, read 364,850 times

Advertisements

what do you make of this offer?

we put our house back on the market in april. had maybe 10 showings and a huge turnout for the realtor open house.

got an offer last week. our first ever. we listed at $329,000 then like 3 weeks ago reduced to $319.

the offer came in at $260. i felt a little insulted but our realtor said that their realtor said that they would go higher. we countered at $314, 000. 2 days later she came back with $270, we countered at $310 she came back again, 3 days later with $275,000. again, her realtor saying he knows she will pay more. 4 days ago we countered at $309,000 (after previously saying $310 would be the lowest we would go). my husband says we should just forget it, i like to play things out a bit more but this is getting tiring and i'm not sure if i should take this as a serious buyer.

i'm confused why her realtor keeps saying he knows she will come up and confused why she waits 2 - 3 days to counter offer. i'm concered if we did agree on a price she might be a 'trouble maker' and finds all sorts of things she wants fixing b4 a closing forcing us to reduce the price anyway.

thing is too, she bought a property a couple of streets over for $485,000 when the listed price was $499,000.

my realtor just keeps saying it's up to me. any insights appreciated. thanks

ps. haven't heard from the buyer since. could this mean she changed her mind? my realtor is out of town and i'm going nuts! oh and she also wanted to close on June 20th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Where is the property located?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:55 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times
Is the price the buyer is offering within the selling range recommended by your agent? Essentially, is your house fairly priced or overpriced?

If it's fairly priced and their offer is not within the range recommended by your agent (in which they should have used recent comps and analyzed your current "competition" on the market), the buyer is most likely fishing for a deal. They are messing with you. If your home is overpriced, based on the selling range recommended by your agent, you're not being messed with, you might just be unrealistic.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:18 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
It's a game of skill and/or a battle of wills. By you responding to the buyer's counter-offer, you are ultimately getting to their price.

I don't want to get involved in your negotiations. However, I caution my sellers with the following advice: 1) continue to look at comps each and every time you even think about responding to a counter-offer and 2) write down the absolute lowest price that you'd take and put it on your refrigerator. Why? Because if the property is still listed at $329,900 but counter-offers have it down to $299,900 with a 20,000 separation, why go to $289,900 (splitting the difference) if you have $299,900 as your lowest price. (For that matter, why not just lower it on the MLS to $310,000 to see what happens?)

Often, when responding to counter-offers from one buyer, the seller loses sight of the big picture.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:35 PM

the property is located in the Brooklawn section of Bridgeport

Old 05-31-2008, 12:43 PM

$310,000.00 was the lowest i was willing to go. i don't want to go any lower than the current $309.

i should add, we had listed last march at $379 and took it off at $340 as i was pregnant and didn't want to deal with showings. we had alot of repeat showings but no offers. so this year with the market being in decline we just started out at $329. our realtor said $319 was definately a great price. oddly when he did comps back in March it was actually higher than last year.

our realtor had said he told the other realtor we were not interested in anything unless it had a 3 in front of it, yet they keep coming back with these low offers.

when my realtor comes back in town i will ask him to do a more recent comp.

Thank You

Last edited by acebritty; 05-31-2008 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: wanted to add a Thank You

Old 05-31-2008, 05:41 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Ask your agent. After a quick search, I found your home on the MLS.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 PM

95 posts, read 447,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebritty View Post
what do you make of this offer?

we put our house back on the market in april. had maybe 10 showings and a huge turnout for the realtor open house.

got an offer last week. our first ever. we listed at $329,000 then like 3 weeks ago reduced to $319.

the offer came in at $260. i felt a little insulted but our realtor said that their realtor said that they would go higher. we countered at $314, 000. 2 days later she came back with $270, we countered at $310 she came back again, 3 days later with $275,000. again, her realtor saying he knows she will pay more. 4 days ago we countered at $309,000 (after previously saying $310 would be the lowest we would go). my husband says we should just forget it, i like to play things out a bit more but this is getting tiring and i'm not sure if i should take this as a serious buyer.

i'm confused why her realtor keeps saying he knows she will come up and confused why she waits 2 - 3 days to counter offer. i'm concered if we did agree on a price she might be a 'trouble maker' and finds all sorts of things she wants fixing b4 a closing forcing us to reduce the price anyway.

thing is too, she bought a property a couple of streets over for $485,000 when the listed price was $499,000.

my realtor just keeps saying it's up to me. any insights appreciated. thanks

ps. haven't heard from the buyer since. could this mean she changed her mind? my realtor is out of town and i'm going nuts! oh and she also wanted to close on June 20th
More troubling to me is the fact that the buyer's broker is telling your broker that his/her client is willing to pay more. This is a clear case of a broker neglecting his/her fiduciary responsibility to the client

Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwee View Post
More troubling to me is the fact that the buyer's broker is telling your broker that his/her client is willing to pay more. This is a clear case of a broker neglecting his/her fiduciary responsibility to the client
Shwee- I disagree with this statement. I've had cases where my buyer specifically tells me to tell the seller's agent that they are willing to pay more, just to keep the negotiations going. We don't tell them how much more (the buyer always has a ceiling too), but it does keep stringing the seller along in some cases. Not my favorite tactic, but it can work.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:21 PM

95 posts, read 447,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
Shwee- I disagree with this statement. I've had cases where my buyer specifically tells me to tell the seller's agent that they are willing to pay more, just to keep the negotiations going. We don't tell them how much more (the buyer always has a ceiling too), but it does keep stringing the seller along in some cases. Not my favorite tactic, but it can work.
If the buyer's broker has been instructed by his/her client to do so, then that's a different story, although I don't quite understand why the buyer would want to qualify his/her offer with that message. All it does is minimize the value of the offer (to a point of worthlessness) to begin with. What seller would accept any offer that has been placed on the table if he/she has been told that the buyer is willing to pay more? I have been a (commercial) broker for ten years and have never been in a negotiation where that tactic has been employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut