Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,799 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Norwalk, Ct, and I was wondering if I can get someone to advice me on the High Schools in Norwalk for my 14 years old.

Thanks.

Mara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:39 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,380,560 times
Theyre both fine if your kids got his head screwed on straight. But this is a city & theres plenty of wrong things if he/she wants them. I went to Norwalk high & my sons will in a few years. I have friends from Brien McMahon that turned out fine. But theres tragedies from both too.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 PM

202 posts, read 702,657 times
While it is often said on this board that Norwalk schools are not good (and compared to the schools of the neighboring more expensive towns, it is true they are not as good) I do want to reassure you that I know many kids who went to the Norwalk high schools, did well in school (in honor tracks), and got accepted to good colleges. Some parents, who are not comparing the high schools with other high school, but are just speaking from experience, will even tell you that the schools are good because their particular kids had good experiences. I don't really know of differences between the two schools other than that Brien McMahon is smaller. Sorry I can't give you more specific useful information but I think outsiders reading through the threads might think that one should never ever send their kids to Norwalk public schools, yet many, many parents do. Look at greatschools.net for some actual reviews of both schools.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,838,925 times
When we lived in Norwalk, many families who had lived in Norwalk all their lives recommended Norwalk High School over Brien McMahon. Among my children's classmates though, I don't know anyone who actually remained in Norwalk long enough to send their kids to either high school. We did not have pleasant experiences with the Norwalk School system which prompted us to move, but obviously others do not mind the school system. I think if you stay involved in your child's education you should be fine. Welcome to Connecticut!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 7,799 times
Thanks!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,262,302 times
I grew up in the area, and from what I heard from Norwalk kids, Norwalk HS was the safer/better school to go to. In Stamford, Stamford HS is the one to choose.

This may have changed since I've been there, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut