U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-12-2008, 06:20 AM

13,323 posts, read 19,953,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You have to see the bigger picture here. In Ct., we are very accepting of different lifestyles, but, it's not a regular occurence to see 2 people of the same sex displaying affection in public. When "we" look over at "you", it's not necessarily because "we" disapprove of it, rather it's not as commonplace as it would be in NYC. As time goes by, and people see it more frequently, they acclimate to it and the shock value is diminished.
As far as Stratford is concerned, attitudes have seemed to change a bit over the years. It seems to be more understanding of other cultures and lifestyles, however we still have a sizeable number of elderly individuals whom are stuck in their ways.
Good point. It is not common here, so people will look at you strangely. They are not disapproving, just not use to seeing this. Jay
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-12-2008, 06:25 AM

13,323 posts, read 19,953,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Transvestite means "cross dresser." What does this have to do with being gay? If you are bothered by people wearing clothing of the opposite gender, take it up with them. While you're at it, you might want to target companies that make nun costumes for Hallowe'en.
I think JViello is just trying to make a point with an "absurdity". People here do not disapprove of the alternative lifestyle, they disapprove of "flamboyance" for lack of a better word. We generally are reserved in character and do not really like it when people are loud or wild or "in our face" with something. And this is true about everyone whether you are gay, straight, black, white, or whatever. Jay

Unread 06-12-2008, 06:41 AM

4,455 posts, read 1,942,651 times
Any kind of over the top flamboyance in Connecticut may garner looks. Be it Motorcycle groups exhibiting a tough appearance with tattoos, leather gear etc- or A women in a dyed frothy hairdo, with heavy makeup and provocative revealing clothes. Or perhaps a man in ultra western cowboy gear, exhibiting a macho swagger.

The state has a rather conservative outward appearance when it comes to dress and public behavior.
Los Angeles showy over consumption or San Francisco zaniness, no matter how innocent will in all likelihood gather looks of astonishment or raised eyebrows here. Nonetheless these folks will seldom be judged negatively for their rather 'eccentric' behavior and appearance.

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:12 AM

8,156 posts, read 11,722,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think JViello is just trying to make a point with an "absurdity". People here do not disapprove of the alternative lifestyle, they disapprove of "flamboyance" for lack of a better word. We generally are reserved in character and do not really like it when people are loud or wild or "in our face" with something. And this is true about everyone whether you are gay, straight, black, white, or whatever. Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Any kind of over the top flamboyance in Connecticut may garner looks. Be it Motorcycle groups exhibiting a tough appearance with tattoos, leather gear etc- or A women in a dyed frothy hairdo, with heavy makeup and provocative revealing clothes. Or perhaps a man in ultra western cowboy gear, exhibiting a macho swagger.

The state has a rather conservative outward appearance when it comes to dress and public behavior.
Los Angeles showy over consumption or San Francisco zaniness, no matter how innocent will in all likelihood gather looks of astonishment or raised eyebrows here. Nonetheless these folks will seldom be judged negatively for their rather 'eccentric' behavior and appearance.
Thank you gentleman, well said and saved me from having to type it all.

That about sums it up and really was my only point.

Extremists in just about any camp IMHO are self serving and self centered for the most part and something I personally do not wish to deal with.

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Thank you gentleman, well said and saved me from having to type it all.

That about sums it up and really was my only point.

Extremists in just about any camp IMHO are self serving and self centered for the most part and something I personally do not wish to deal with.
Extremists JV come from the far left- but also the far right- the most important attribute we can all use is objectivity; and the Scientific method, which says 'garbage in-garbage out' is the best path to follow.

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Extremists JV come from the far left- but also the far right- the most important attribute we can all use is objectivity; and the Scientific method, which says 'garbage in-garbage out' is the best path to follow.
Totally agreed.

That's why I used the term "extremists" as it covers the broad objective scope.

I'm as "intollerant" with the Westboro Baptist Church folks as I am with the sisters of indulgence folks.

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Totally agreed.

That's why I used the term "extremists" as it covers the broad objective scope.

I'm as "intollerant" with the Westboro Baptist Church folks as I am with the sisters of indulgence folks.
Well I used to be self indulgent- with clothes and cars

now I am self indulgent with good food, wine and booze- got over the 'keeping up appearances crap'.

Unread 06-12-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Well I used to be self indulgent- with clothes and cars

now I am self indulgent with good food, wine and booze- got over the 'keeping up appearances crap'.
LOL I hear you loud and clear.

I've gave up the booze thing about a year ago for health and personal reasons but always enjoy a well prepped and cooked meal for sure!

Carbs/Fat/Salt be damned...I'm eating well tonight! (And most nights. lol)

Unread 06-13-2008, 10:12 PM

438 posts, read 643,775 times
Quote:
Has it every occurred to you that perhaps, just maybe, it's not about bigotry?
I'm just now seeing your post, since I don't visit this forum regularly. I'm not really sure what your point was, since no one was attacking you as far as I could tell...?

But, for the record: if, as you say, you treat people with respect and welcome them as friends and neighbors regardless of their sexual orientation, then I can't imagine I'd have occasion to call you a bigot. What goes on in your own head is your business, and of no matter to me.

Alas, there are people everywhere who don't behave so nobly, and will treat LGBT folks with subtle disdain, open contempt, or worse. Some of them probably do it for religious reasons; some because they're afraid of their own leanings; some for both reasons (as epitomized by the esteemed Mr. Ted Haggard). Thankfully, compared to other places, Connecticut has relatively few of such people, and that was my point.

(The Bible, by the way, is anything but "black and white" on the issue, especially in the Old Testament, as any serious scholar of ancient and Biblical languages can tell you. But this is neither the time nor place for discussion of such things.)

Unread 06-14-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
I'm just now seeing your post, since I don't visit this forum regularly. I'm not really sure what your point was, since no one was attacking you as far as I could tell...?
The point is/was that it's not automatically "bigotry" that drives someone. So making a knee jerk blanket statement that everyone who can not/does not agree with homosexuality is a "bigot" is somewhat ignorant of reality. Understand?

Let me guess, next your going to tell me it's out of one's own sexual insecurity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
Some of them probably do it for religious reasons; some because they're afraid of their own leanings; some for both reasons
Yep, that's what I thought.

Perhaps, some just think it's "wrong" based on what comes naturally. I mean it's possible. Ever think of that? Some folks might look at a bolt and a nut and say "those go together" and some might look at two bolts and say "those are the same, and don't go together".

Those folks are not bigots, religous freaks, insecure etc. They are simply making a determination based on their own reasoning. What is wrong with that?

Quote:
(The Bible, by the way, is anything but "black and white" on the issue, especially in the Old Testament, as any serious scholar of ancient and Biblical languages can tell you. But this is neither the time nor place for discussion of such things.)
Well if it's not the place...why bring it up.

Black and white it is. Your talking to a "serious scholar". My alma mater is a Christian college where I did a double major in Theology and Sociology.

Here is a clear black and white reading:
1Cr 6:9 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
BUT that's where most stop and just gay bash with it. *I* on the other hand also read "sexually immoral", "idolaters", "Adulterers" and "male prostitutes" and don't just single out the gay portion.

It continues on:
1Cr 6:10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God
Okay so now we also have thieves, greedy, drunkards, slanderers and swindlers.

Dang I fit a lot of those categories at one point in my life and so does everyone else...who's left?

Well, the next verse is very telling and it's also the message that gets ignored and left out when "gay bashing" with the bible.
1Cr 6:11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1Cr 6:12 “Everything is permissible for me”–but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”–but I will not be mastered by anything.
So you see...forgiveness is for all. Gay people included. Wow. Go figure.

The sticky part is when it says "that is what some of you were". Key word. "Were." Lots of debate on THAT issue but no debate on the "wrong list"...that is pretty clear and "gay" is listed in there among other things.

It's about forgiveness and compassion and a changed life and/or mindset. It's about being set free in your soul and having a peace you can't comprehend unless you experience it.

It's all free. Free. A gift.

This is also where I part company with "gay bashers" who ignore the fact that a young couple in their church are living together outside of marriage but don't say or do much...but, that "gay thing" oh no. That is hypocritical.

So yes, it's pretty clear that "homosexuality" is in the "wrong list" but it's also very clear that many other things are too. But we have forgiveness in Christ with no strings attached.

So, yea - I'm a "serious scholar" and a thoughtful one as well who doesn't have knee jerk reactions made out of hate. Far from it.

THAT is my take regarding the bible. If someone doesn't believe, that's fine with me too as again, I treat all people with respect based on the content of their character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut