Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,206 times

Advertisements

Just started new job in Danbury CT area in Nov-06.
Wife and daughter are excited about moving out in June.
Need advice on communities to live in!

Currently thinking about West Hartford/Farmington area.
Good schools, good libraries, sidewalks, dining options, reasonable housing prices, and within striking distance of NYC/Boston.
Major downside… I-84 commute for me – ugh!
Don’t’ think driving to Danbury will be significant problem as I get up ~5am, but coming back I’ve been told will not be fun.

Ridgefield and Newtown are too suburban for my wife.
We’ve been warned away from Danbury, although it’s not clear whether this is good advice.

Our hope is that we move to a real community as opposed to a set of strip malls surrounded by subdivisions.

My wife is a classical pianist, and a short story writer.
My daughter will be a sophomore in the ’07 school year, bright and motivated who needs an academically challenging (rather than challenged) environment, is a francophile, and into graphic arts.

I’m lucky to have a good science job and my passions outside of work are pickup basketball, singing, and outdoor stuff (running, biking, golf).

Any advice on communities, or the I-84 commute would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 01:04 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
Danbury is not as bad as people say it is. It is a large city with one of the largest high schools in the state, but they have a lot of programs that other schools might. I can not say what schools are the 'best' per ct licensing laws (I'm a realtor in the area). Danbury is not cheap, but is the most affordable town in northern Fairfield County. The library downtown is large and offers a full range of materials. There are some chain stores, but also a lot of local owned businesses. The city is mostly neighbhoods, with just a couple of subdisions (Toll Brothers). I am a runner too, and there are lots places to run and there are 2 golf courses in town.
The drive back to West Hartford/Farmington from Danbury would be challenging since if you have to share to roads with people coming from the eastern part of the county that commute to White Plains.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the area,
Jonathan Hall

Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 AM

16 posts, read 105,127 times
Check this out:
www.danbury.org

Lots of information.

You're thinking of living in West Hartford and commuting to Danbury? I'm telling you right now that's a terrible idea. Terrible. Friday afternoon trying to take I-84 to West Hartford will easily take 1 1/2 hours. EASILY. Traffic gets jammed up hard on I-84 from Danbury to Waterbury and it gets insane during the summer (tourists from NY & NJ clogging the highways).
Traffic in the morning going towards Danbury gets backed up regularly.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 AM

222 posts, read 854,738 times
Have you looked at Brookfield. It is suburban, but their is alot of business as well. I find it to be a nice mix of business and residential.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:51 AM

16 posts, read 105,127 times
If your daughter is interested in graphic arts you may find it of interest that the artist Michael Whelan is a Danbury resident and has a son who attends DHS. He has a gallery in town.

http://www.michaelwhelan.com/

Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 AM

93 posts, read 394,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallone View Post
Just started new job in Danbury CT area in Nov-06.
Wife and daughter are excited about moving out in June.
Need advice on communities to live in!

Currently thinking about West Hartford/Farmington area.
Good schools, good libraries, sidewalks, dining options, reasonable housing prices, and within striking distance of NYC/Boston.
Major downside… I-84 commute for me – ugh!
Don’t’ think driving to Danbury will be significant problem as I get up ~5am, but coming back I’ve been told will not be fun.

Ridgefield and Newtown are too suburban for my wife.
We’ve been warned away from Danbury, although it’s not clear whether this is good advice.

Our hope is that we move to a real community as opposed to a set of strip malls surrounded by subdivisions.

My wife is a classical pianist, and a short story writer.
My daughter will be a sophomore in the ’07 school year, bright and motivated who needs an academically challenging (rather than challenged) environment, is a francophile, and into graphic arts.

I’m lucky to have a good science job and my passions outside of work are pickup basketball, singing, and outdoor stuff (running, biking, golf).

Any advice on communities, or the I-84 commute would be greatly appreciated.

My best friend lives in Danbury, and my advice? STAY AWAY! There are close to 20,000 illegal immigrants living in Danbury and they put a huge burden on town services. You can see them all standing downtown as they wait for odd jobs. It's really unattractive.

Did you look at more rural towns such as Oxford or Woodbury? They are both within 20 minutes of Danbury and very nice communities. Woodbury is largely an agricultural community and Oxford is a town of about 12,000 that, through strict zoning regulations, has kept the rural character of the town. Very country.

Home prices? About the same in both towns. Cheaper than Ridgefield and Redding, but more pricey than the average town. Starting at about 400k and for a larger home (3000sf+) you'd be looking at over 700k.

Oxford is building a brand new high school, to be ready in Sept. 07. It's going to have a challenging curriculum, according to local media.

I'd highly recommend both Oxford and Woodbury. Downtown Southbury is right near 84 and has everything from upscale clothing stores to good restaurants. VERY LITTLE chain restaurants in this area. That's a plus I liked.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:58 AM

12 posts, read 70,116 times
Default Southbury or Newtown

As far as a good school system with a relatively easy commute, i would say middlebury, southbury, or newtown. All three of these towns have outstanding school systems. I can't really understand why you would want to commute from west hartford to danbury...even without traffic it has to be close to an hour drive.

Ridgefield would be good to but as far as home prices go, it's more expensive.

hope this helps..

Old 02-04-2007, 02:34 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
The drive from Suburban Hartford to Danbury will be maddening. Just getting past Waterbury will make you open a vein with another 30 minutes to go before getting to Dbury.

If you are working in Danbury, check out Bethel. Nice burb of danbury with it's own character. (Shops, restaurants etc on main street.)

http://www.bethelct.org

If you want more city feel Trumbull isn't too far away without paying the Gold Coast (Fairfield County) housing prices.

Or just find work in the Hartford area and then move to West Hartford/Farmington.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:38 PM

106 posts, read 371,341 times
Default ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomet View Post
Have you looked at Brookfield. It is suburban, but their is alot of business as well. I find it to be a nice mix of business and residential.
Brookfield would be worth a look, and Bethel is also an interesting town -- nice historic downtown with small town feel.

If you'd consider a more rural feel, head up Route 7 and check out New Milford. Most of the towns that surround Candlewood Lake are all pretty nice, including New Fairfield & Sherman.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:05 AM

22 posts, read 114,394 times
Default Wow! Lots of diverse feedback!

I have lived in Danbury since 1988. I love it but it is changing. The comment about the immigrants is absolutely true. The day Brazil won over Japan soccer, the city streets were crazy and most of us "original" folk didn't know what was going on!!! I still love the conveniences though.

Hmm... Brookfield is very quiet. Way quieter than Ridgefield. Newtown is growing but also quiet. I would recommend Wilton to you for community, because of your daughter needing a challenge and your wife's interests, however, the home prices are extravagant.

I think for the best commute and not so rural and not city, you are best off in either Brookfield or Ridgefield, although your search for community life in my opinion is limited - I am moving to NC soon to be in a community which I have not found here - the people are way too busy making a living to socialize much.

DO NOT move East of Southbury or your commute will be terrible!!!
IslandGirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut