Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 AM

7 posts, read 35,676 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Amy. I'll call the police department and get statistics from them. We appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 20,096 times
I am interesting in hearing about activities and nightlife etc. Activities, mind you, will all be curtailing soon but a nice night out on the town with some pace is nice. I know that everything is relative but is there "enough" to do in the Hartford area? I would be coming from Cincinnati if I were to move. (My wife is from NYC originally. I know that can't be duplicated...trust me!)

Old 09-10-2008, 04:36 PM

438 posts, read 1,191,010 times
It really depends on what it is you like to do. Hartford's got plenty of restaurants, a fair number of bars, but it's often criticized as being fairly dead at nighttime, especially in terms of street activity -- people milling around, a sense of something "happening", etc. That's not present in Hartford the way it is in larger cities, like New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Providence, or even smaller places like Northampton, Burlington, Cape May, Provincetown.

Outside of the arts/classical music events, there's not a whole lot going on most nights; that's improving little by little, but it's still in the embryonic stages. In other words, dinner and a classical music concert -- or movie, or live theater -- is a viable option in Hartford, most nights; hopping from club to club, or hanging out and people-watching, not so much (and if you want to have a leisurely dinner at a sidewalk table, West Hartford center is, if anything, preferable). There's no real "scene", and the closest things are mostly isolated one-offs, like the events that Real Art Ways often hosts. Other than classical music (which is strong in Hartford) and big stadium shows, there's not a lot of good music happening -- lots of cover bands, not a lot of the "second-tier" and indie stuff that helps to enliven a community.

All of this is coming from a white, quasi-middle-class perspective, by the way. There's a lot of activity in Hartford's North End around Albany Ave., and rumor has it that there are a lot of terrific Jamaican cultural activities -- restaurants, nightclubs, concerts -- but I wouldn't feel comfortable going there, not so much because I'd stick out like a sore thumb but because it's a high-crime, high-violence area, especially at night. I have a modest amount of street smarts, and have been known to head into the quote-unquote "ghetto" in other cities for a good concert or whatever, but the North End of Hartford at night -- that's probably beyond my ability to safely manage risk.

Cincinnati doesn't exactly have a reputation as Fun Central, but I don't know Cincy so I can't directly compare the two.

Honestly, most of the nightlife activity in Connecticut seems to center around New Haven. Middletown has its charm, too, and often gets overlooked.

Last edited by goldenband; 09-10-2008 at 04:55 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 PM

6 posts, read 20,016 times
The north end of Hartford is one of the most dangerous places not only in Hartford but in the United States.If you think you are going to be able to enjoy the "Jamaican" culture and cuisine forget it.I would contact the Hartford Police Department and let them inform you of the crime stats in the Albany avenue area.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Uh, I'm perfectly aware of the crime rate in that area, and made it clear in my post.

Also, I don't know I'd agree that the North End is one of the most dangerous places in the U.S. -- that's probably a little excessive: just off the top of my head, the bad parts of Detroit, Baltimore, Oakland, Camden, Philly, and L.A. (Compton) all probably have it beat. I'm not saying it's hunky dory -- it's certainly one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in New England -- but it's not Mogadishu.

Anyway, much of Albany Ave. is dangerous at night, but during the day it's less so, especially the western half (as you cross into Hartford from WH). If someone wants Jamaican/West Indian food in Hartford, everyone says it's the place to go -- and if you visit during the day, it's not like you're going to get beset by fifty thugs the moment you step out of your car. A little common sense will go a long way, and it's only at night that it's really too dangerous to visit. Ergo, the club scene there is off-limits unless you're quite adventurous.

(For what it's worth, I've never had any problems in the North End, whereas I've had a couple mildly hairy encounters much further south, in Parkville and Frog Hollow, especially on the narrower side streets.)

Last edited by goldenband; 09-10-2008 at 07:40 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,146,509 times
Hartford has it's "First Friday" celebrations. The first friday of every month there's a lot to do in one night.

I agree with the other poster who said that Hartford is pretty dead compared to larger cities. My husband and I have a hard time finding a decent place to go out and enjoy ourselves within our age range. Hartford is also very culturally diverse.

We currently live in Hartford and going through the process of looking for a home or condo in one of the surrounding suburbs.

The things I enjoy doing in Hartford are taking a walk on the Riverfront Recapture. It's pretty safe and depending where you start off, you can do a good 4-5 mile walk. We take advantage of the free concerts that are offered. I absolutely LOVE the jazz festival - different types of jazz. Charter Oak cultural center has displays of some great local art work.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:23 PM

639 posts, read 2,700,290 times
Quote:
there's not a lot of good music happening -- lots of cover bands, not a lot of the "second-tier" and indie stuff that helps to enliven a community.
I disagree a bit. There is plenty of great live music at Black Eyed Sally's where you can get a great meal and then grab some drinks and watch some live music.

Kal David who is a great blues guitarist usually plays there 2-3 times a year, great times.

Also, City Steam has some great Comedy nights and is also a great place for drinks. Room 912 in the former G.Fox building is also a nice place if you are into the Miami/L.A. club scene. Plenty of pretty girls and great decor, more for the young professionals.

Spris in Constitution Plaza offers outdoor dinning and great food. There are also a few locations on Pratt street the offer this seasonally. I bet a lot of people don't know Spris is even there!

http://www.sprishartford.com/

A lot of times in Hartford you need to "know" the places to go. A lot of times these places don't stick out at you.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 PM

Black Eyed Sally's sounds like a good place for blues, but for the most part that's not the music that the young, hip, and white are looking for. To quote a recent article about the Houston music scene, "the music that matters most to a great many young, educated new entrants into the workforce is indie rock", and that scene is basically nonexistent in Hartford -- New Haven and Providence get those shows. Manic Productions had started to get some momentum over in New Britain, but they've shifted their efforts to Danbury and New Haven.

If Hartford wants to gentrify, that process typically starts out with attracting hipsters and bohos to live in areas that are considered "sketchy" (rightly or wrongly). Unlike many scenarios for Hartford's "comeback", I can imagine that that one might actually work -- it certainly has for other places. But without a solid music and art scene, they'll never come.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 PM

83 posts, read 225,648 times
Buckingham Street isn't bad, but then again you will be in pretty close proximity to some much more undesirable places. The corner of Park and Main, and Park and John, for instance, are locations where we routinely get calls for drunks and passed-out drug addicts. There is a larger homeless shelter on that first corner as well. At the cross of Buckingham and Main st is a methadone clinic, and Park street is only a block away.

Then again, to your north just a block is the Bushnell. Go another block and there is the park. Just west of you is the capital building, and that area of Main street (especially slightly north) isn't bad at all with the library, federal building, and a few nice restaurants.

I wouldn't say that area is particularly dangerous at night. We drive though there on the way to Hartford Hospital fairly often and it is usually extremely quiet with likely nobody walking around at all. The only caution I would raise is the close proximity to other more dangerous places, but then again it is all relative.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 20,016 times
Uh..per capita The North End is considered one of the most dangerous parts of Hartford.And , Hartford in general is considered for its size one of the most dangerous cities in the US.Now if you want to go there during daylight hours that is your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut