Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Bay area years ago- and the climate does vary greatly. In July in San Francisco it can be 70, but north into the wine country it can be 20 to 30 degrees warmer.

The relative humidity is very low however, and over night the temperture can drop 30 degrees. Coastal California, has an extraordinarily temperate climate, with little seasonal variation -something like about 15 degrees between winter and summer.

The central Valley- Sacramento, Modesto and Fresno can become very hot- in the summer, and suffer from air pollution problems. Also the smell from agriculture can be stifling at times. Winters in the valley can bring dense fog.

Coastal California is certainly nice- but the high costs of housing makes it prohibitive for many people to own a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 03:06 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,834 times
Default I'll take dry heat over any humidity

My husband and I may possibly move to CT, and my biggest fear is the humidity. I was born and raised in the CA mountains, and I now live in Sacramento. Sure it can get over 100 degrees for a whole month, but there is no humidity out here. I've been in the humidity to visit the in-laws in Iowa, and wow, it is thick! My biggest concern about moving is the humidity. I've dealt with massive amounts of snow my whole life, and I love 4 real seasons. But that darn humidity. I just hope wherever we live has air conditioning.

I've got freakishly curly hair, and the humidity makes it stick out a foot more than it already does (a little exaggeration, but you get the point). How do you ladies and gents with curly hair deal with that thick moisture in the air?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post
My husband and I may possibly move to CT, and my biggest fear is the humidity. I was born and raised in the CA mountains, and I now live in Sacramento. Sure it can get over 100 degrees for a whole month, but there is no humidity out here. I've been in the humidity to visit the in-laws in Iowa, and wow, it is thick! My biggest concern about moving is the humidity. I've dealt with massive amounts of snow my whole life, and I love 4 real seasons. But that darn humidity. I just hope wherever we live has air conditioning.

I've got freakishly curly hair, and the humidity makes it stick out a foot more than it already does (a little exaggeration, but you get the point). How do you ladies and gents with curly hair deal with that thick moisture in the air?
Volleyballer

as a Californian, east coast humidity is going to take some getting used for you. Best bet- try and live near the shoreline in eastern CT- its usually 5-10 degrees cooler in the summer then Inland locations- and will be milder in the winter. Sea breezes make for some nice relief.

Connecticut, at least until climate change really kicks in- in years to come; does not currently suffer with as much heat and humidity lets say as they do south of New York City. Philly and Washington have longer spells of sultry humidity in the summer then here.

We will have cool fronts come down from Canada- that may stall just south of NYC- or we will have relief from a 'back door cool front' coming via- east from the Cool waters of the Gulf Of Maine.

Believe me-today here is very unpleasant.

Hot & humid weather conditions here will last 3-5 days, and we will have several days of relief . The worst weather here- starts usually in late June- and ends in mid August- Mid August till Thanksgiving is usually pleasant. The weather here today is considered 'early', for this type of heat. It will break at mid week, with much nicer weather in the 80s.

As for your hair- best bet- keep it short in the summer!

Old 06-09-2008, 03:45 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post

I have very curly hair in the humidity, it is a nightmare to deal with here! I look like a poodle half the time. If I had it short it wouldn't make a bit of difference, it would still curl up. I would have to shave myself bald to take care of the problem. Winter is the only time my hair is "normal". I buy products like "frizz-ease", I've got a closet full of similar products. Often I just pull it up in a comb or ponytail, or just let it do it's thing and leave it naturally curly.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:45 PM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
Yes it is a comfortable 75 degrees here in San Diego right now, but in a few weeks we'll be sweating it out in CT. Like wisteria, I also grew up in Western NY so the humidity is nothing new to me and we've only lived in CA for 3 years (of which we'd go back East every summer for about 1 month).

Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 PM

41 posts, read 157,560 times
Well there is an upside to the humidity it is great for your skin. In the winter my hands get so dry and I have to use lotion all the time but this time of year with the humidity I have no problems. Humidity may get bad here but its nothing like gulf humidity. Florida and the other gulf states are just unberable in the summer. Here I can deal with it even this early after we have had such a dry spring.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
For curly hair in humid weather my hairdresser recommended mousse. It seems to work. I used to dread the way my hair would frizz in the summer, now it looks okay.

I don't like the New England weather because of all its extremes but where else would I live? Where else would feel like home? I live by the ocean now and it is cooler with the ocean breeze but still the heat can practically knock you over. p.s. I don't know anyone who doesn't have a/c -- maybe years ago but not in the last few decades. I don't see how anyone can live without it.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
I must admit, yesterday was torrid. It felt like Cambodia out there.

I do realize that California summers are 70 F and low humidity most of the time. Although the more I talk to people who really like summer, hot weather, or go to the islands often (Bahamas, Caribbean, Florida),…..they seem to say it’s a bit too cool along most of the California coast in summer. It never really feels like summer. I do know, having surfed in CA – the Pacific is freezing (lol). In July - September, when the Atlantic is 74 F off Rhode Island, Long Island or New Jersey, it’s 58 F at the Pier in Santa Monica. Too cold for me. I guess it’s all perspective though.

In fact, personally - I think the long hot humid summers are the time when the Tri-State/East Coast region is most alive. You get up at 6:45 am and it’s already humid and 73 F…… it feels as if you’re in some humid lowland tropical country or a British port in the Caribbean. Connecticut’s lush forests look like the jungles of southeast Asia, the boats are out, everyone’s tan, the surfers are headed to Rhode Island or the Jersey shore with the surfboard on the roof, the grill never goes off, the open air markets, and sidewalk cafes in Manhattan a crowed with people from a hundred different countries, the sun pummels everything it its path,....I guess I love it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I have my doubts about Global Warming--------and, this year (2008) the temps has been below normal thus far here in the Phx area.

What bites for you folks in Ct, etc. is still having to deal with the foul winters though with 6" of snow hanging around for 1-2 weeks and the need for road salt to dissolve it----------which also rots rebar in concrete as well as cars/trucks.
As far as winter goes, although I live in far south/coastal CT, winters are rather mild here in most years. Compared to place from Boston northward, the Great Lakes, and up in the Midwest, we really don’t get all that much snow. Last year here on the coast of Connecticut and across on Long Island…most places got from 9 to 18 inches all winter. I used a push broom, not a shovel the whole winter. Having 6 inches of snow on the ground for 2 or 3 weeks is a bit uncommon, at lest across southern Connecticut. The West Coast media seems to hype snow and cold in the Tri-State area a bit. In fact, Skytracker and myself are able to grow hardy palm trees in a sheltered area.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I must admit, yesterday was torrid. It felt like Cambodia out there.

I do realize that California summers are 70 F and low humidity most of the time. Although the more I talk to people who really like summer, hot weather, or go to the islands often (Bahamas, Caribbean, Florida),…..they seem to say it’s a bit too cool along most of the California coast in summer. It never really feels like summer. I do know, having surfed in CA – the Pacific is freezing (lol). In July - September, when the Atlantic is 74 F off Rhode Island, Long Island or New Jersey, it’s 58 F at the Pier in Santa Monica. Too cold for me. I guess it’s all perspective though.

In fact, personally - I think the long hot humid summers are the time when the Tri-State/East Coast region is most alive. You get up at 6:45 am and it’s already humid and 73 F…… it feels as if you’re in some humid lowland tropical country or a British port in the Caribbean. Connecticut’s lush forests look like the jungles of southeast Asia, the boats are out, everyone’s tan, the surfers are headed to Rhode Island or the Jersey shore with the surfboard on the roof, the grill never goes off, the open air markets, and sidewalk cafes in Manhattan a crowed with people from a hundred different countries, the sun pummels everything it its path,....I guess I love it all.

As far as winter goes, although I live in far south/coastal CT, winters are rather mild here in most years. Compared to place from Boston northward, the Great Lakes, and up in the Midwest, we really don’t get all that much snow. Last year here on the coast of Connecticut and across on Long Island…most places got from 9 to 18 inches all winter. I used a push broom, not a shovel the whole winter. Having 6 inches of snow on the ground for 2 or 3 weeks is a bit uncommon, at lest across southern Connecticut. The West Coast media seems to hype snow and cold in the Tri-State area a bit. In fact, Skytracker and myself are able to grow hardy palm trees in a sheltered area.

Both palms are growing like crazy in this weather- one suffered 'spear pull' but has recovered totally. Happy to see my yucca- which I bought 4 years ago is finally going to flower for the first time.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM

67 posts, read 266,796 times
here you may need a/c but in socal you need irrigation to grow anything for example: grass. the beach is foggy and cool in the summer, and anywhere inland it gets too hot for my taste. I thought my skin would crack off the whole time we lived there. the humidity and rain here means it's green and not dry, brown and dusty. I'll deal with the seasons, spring and fall are beautiful here, summer's fine, just hang out in the a/c and get to the beach or a pool as much as possible, and the winter, well it's good if you can get to the mountains and play once and a while!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut