Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:08 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybunn View Post
Hmmm I was actually in CT last weekend and I almost died due to the humidity. Granted if I hadn't moved I would have probably been used to it but where I am now it rarely gets above 30% humidity and hardly ever goes over 100 degrees. One thing I can say about the humidity at least it's better for your skin, when I first moved out here my lips were SO chapped I had to use chapstick every few minutes, and always have to moisturize my arms and hands. I never had to in CT. I've also noticed that CT is a lot more buggy, I have no idea if it's related to the humidity or not, but out here we have to deal with scorpions and black widows =P. I guess both places are better than where most of my family lives, Palm Springs, CA where it can easily get up to 115-120 during the summer
Humidity is one component- how about quality of life, education resources, local culture, access to NYC and Boston----

New Mexico rates as having one of the lowest quality of life among all states, Connecticut ranks number 4----I want to be educated about New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 11:12 AM

170 posts, read 648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Humidity is one component- how about quality of life, education resources, local culture, access to NYC and Boston----

New Mexico rates as having one of the lowest quality of life among all states, Connecticut ranks number 4----I want to be educated about New Mexico.
You know you just posted that in your other thread and again, I was ONLY commenting on what the poster started the topic about, the WEATHER. I see how you're now singling me out because of my negative opinions about the state, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But see, this just goes to show what I've dealt with my entire life in CT, thanks for proving it

Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybunn View Post
You know you just posted that in your other thread and again, I was ONLY commenting on what the poster started the topic about, the WEATHER. I see how you're now singling me out because of my negative opinions about the state, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But see, this just goes to show what I've dealt with my entire life in CT, thanks for proving it
I feel you point out information that is biased- and lacking empirical information.

New Mexico rates fairly low on many quality of life issues. I am glad you are happy in your new home- lets move on. Am I on the NM forum trashing that state? Hardly- it says much about you, and what New Mexico is about.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:20 AM

663 posts, read 2,263,316 times
Quote:
Despite what you say- summers in Connecticut even with the elevated humidity at times are far easier to take then the prolonged heat of Texas from May till nearly November.

I would rather enjoy New England's lush green hills, with their soft light, then the harsh landscape of Texas. I would not want to live in Texas in years to come with climate change- which will only add to its hellish climate.

I couldn't have said this better myself!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:21 AM

170 posts, read 648,625 times
Quote:
I feel you point out information that is biased- and lacking empirical information.

New Mexico rates fairly low on many quality of life issues. I am glad you are happy in your new home- lets move on. Am I on the NM forum trashing that state? Hardly- it says much about you, and what New Mexico is about.
Sure it's biased but it's also based on personal experience, if it wasn't I wouldn't even say anything. I'm just posting my opinion and what I've experienced, it's allowed isn't it? I mean everything has it's ups and downs and I just wanted to make people aware of that before they jump in and think that CT has no faults whatsoever. And well I don't think you would have much to say on the NM forums since I assume you haven't even lived here whereas like I've said before I lived in CT for most of my life. Sorry if you don't like my comments since I can tell you are very fond of the state (and I never said the entire state as a whole is horrible, I even said before that it does have some good things, it just isn't for me), but I think I should be entitled to my opinion even if it's not what everyone wants to hear. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp without having to be shot down for every post I make?

Old 06-14-2008, 11:30 AM

I feel you have a definite bias

and a chip on your shoulder- lets move on- I wish you the best of luck in New Mexico.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:04 AM

32 posts, read 111,178 times
I am pretty new on here but I have noticed that there is a tendency for some posters to really jump on people for the things that they write. Granted, there is no reason to be blatantly disrespectful or post inappropriate, inflammatory messages, but this is an opinion-based site and differing opinions should be welcome even if they are contrary to your personal view. Yes, debate, but please don't decry others' comments simply because they are not in line with your own.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:54 AM

Opinion is fine- but actual facts and data trump opinion. Also misinformation that is biased and meant to distort because the poster has a mission to be inflammatory, or writes to incite can be reason for forum members to become defensive

Old 06-18-2008, 07:09 AM

34,929 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCowboy010 View Post
I am pretty new on here but I have noticed that there is a tendency for some posters to really jump on people for the things that they write. Granted, there is no reason to be blatantly disrespectful or post inappropriate, inflammatory messages, but this is an opinion-based site and differing opinions should be welcome even if they are contrary to your personal view. Yes, debate, but please don't decry others' comments simply because they are not in line with your own.
You should understand that there are certain people that post here that have nothing to say but negative things in mulitple posts whether they are warranted or not. These people will flame the thread to get reactions and will not offer any viable information relating to the topic. Because we have seen this in mulitple threads, we react with a strong reply. The people posting are usually looking for objective information and not opinion (unless it is asked for). It is our job as moderator to monitor the discussion and make sure it addresses what the OP is asking wihtin the rules of the Board. I think we do that very well, particularly from what I have seen on other threads. Jay

Old 07-06-2008, 04:29 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,408 times
Default We DO use AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
IWhen I first moved out west, I recalled thinking to myself: "HOW do people live back east with no air conditioning??"
What are you people talking about? We DO use air conditioning on the east coast, the only people who don't can't afford it which happens everywhere in the U.S. Having grown up in affluent East Coast suburbs and having endured many summers I can confirm that we do infact use AC out here to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut