Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:12 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

Im from NY but I attended U Of Bridgeport from '80-'82. never should have left but thats another story

my memories:

late night visits to the State Street Diner

late night visits to another diner, more elaborate than the State Street and more in the downtown area(forgot the name)

dinner at Famous Pizza on Park Avenue

horseback riding in an area maybe 10 miles north of UB along route 25

dinner at Beefsteak Charlies at exit 19 in Southport

Lafayette Plaza shopping Center

Trumbuil Mall

the Warnaco clothing store

Barnaby's Bar

Barnes & Noble

the Gazebo Ice Cream Parlor

The Clock Store

miniature golf in Stratford

the beach at Sherwood Island (long after I left UB)

Camp Ella Fohs in New Milford in 1972 when I was 10(quite different indeed than the Bridgeport area)

doing a research project for school in Derby (about 7 years after i left UB)

a YMCA Day Camp in Greenwich I attended as a kid in 1974
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 08:25 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Middletown lanes. Yes it was in Middletown. Also, across the street was Jerry's Pizza (where Price Chopper is now.) It was open late back then. Maybe until 3am on Friday and Saturday.

There was also a terrible dive bar on Main St in Middletown called "Mothers" It was on the corner of Main St and Washington St I think.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:32 AM

478 posts, read 774,067 times
Anyone remember a cool little record store in New Haven called Rhymes Records? It was on Broadway, on the second floor, on the same strip as Cutler's and the old Yale Co-Op. Great for punk, and imports.
One day I was in Grand Central Terminal, wearing a Rhymes Records T-Shirt, and a guy in one of the Metro-North ticket booths called out, "Hey! Rhymes Records! Rhymes Records!" and motioned me over. He told me his father (or some relative, I don't remember) owns the building housing Rhymes Records. Kind of a weird encounter. Almost thought his dad would charge me rent for my T-Shirt!

Old 02-08-2015, 12:43 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
I see many mentioning Reeds, but IMO Skydel's was a much nicer store. I used to shop for gifts there. West Haven had the same style independent store on the green, along with Silver's, an independent drug store. The name of the Skydel's style store escapes me. Any ideas, guys?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:39 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
Anyone remember a cool little record store in New Haven called Rhymes Records? It was on Broadway, on the second floor, on the same strip as Cutler's and the old Yale Co-Op. Great for punk, and imports.
One day I was in Grand Central Terminal, wearing a Rhymes Records T-Shirt, and a guy in one of the Metro-North ticket booths called out, "Hey! Rhymes Records! Rhymes Records!" and motioned me over. He told me his father (or some relative, I don't remember) owns the building housing Rhymes Records. Kind of a weird encounter. Almost thought his dad would charge me rent for my T-Shirt!
I loved rhymes! I used to go there to get all my punk and hardcore tapes. Much better selection for those genres than Cutlers.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:09 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
I guess i can throw out an obscure 80's memory.

East side of Bridgeport, at the corner of Orchard and Pearl. Up To Date Fish&Chips.

Today, i'd probably barf if i attempted to eat such greasy food. But back in the day, i absolutely loved that place.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:46 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I see many mentioning Reeds, but IMO Skydel's was a much nicer store. I used to shop for gifts there. West Haven had the same style independent store on the green, along with Silver's, an independent drug store. The name of the Skydel's style store escapes me. Any ideas, guys?
I remember Skydels on East Main Street. Nice small department store. There was also another similar store called Nyden's. I think that was on Madison Avenue. Reads was a much bigger store. Those were smaller clothing stores. Jay

Old 02-08-2015, 09:47 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
On the subject of Fish & Chips what happened to Arthurs Treachers ? I remember one on Silas Deane Hwy Wethersfield (currently a dunkin donuts I think) and one in West Farms Mall.

For independent record stores there was one on Silas Deane Hwy Wethersfield called "creative" it was adjoined by a music store. I don't think this place is open any more.

There was a record store in Rocky Hill called "The Platter Connection" The DJ "Litch" used to do commercials for them on WhCN or WCCC.

There was a record store on West Main St called "Warren's" in New Britain. Not there any more. They also sold those big "boom boxes" that were popular in the 80's and had them displayed in the window.

There was a store called something like "The Exchange" in Plainville across the street from the old Drive-in. I think the building is still there, but its empty. They sold books too, but I think their claim to fame was selling and trading Greatful Dead live recordings. I remember seeing all the cassettes in the case.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:38 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
The smell of "funny" smoke in the air at concerts inside of the Coliseum.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:28 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The smell of "funny" smoke in the air at concerts inside of the Coliseum.
I'm shocked, man. Speed limits aren't the only laws you'very broken??!!

Last edited by dazzleman; 02-08-2015 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut