U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-03-2015, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Middlesex
1,292 posts, read 2,086,059 times
Reputation: 1337

Advertisements

Old New London mall (Two Guys->Bradlees, Paperback Booksmith, Papa Gino's)
Michaels Dairy - NL (still there though now owned by Mitchell College)
Mr G's - NL (still there. loved their burgers.)
A&W Drive in - NL
Howard Johnsons restaurants - NL
The Steak Club - W Hartford
BT's - Hartford/W Hartford/??
The older, simpler TV shows like the A-Team, Knight Rider, etc (the movie/TV remakes have sucked).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 PM
 
1,134 posts, read 1,183,935 times
Reputation: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I remember DM Read's Department Store. Their main store was in downtown Bridgeport and I don't mean the newer one that was once Gimbel's. The original store had elevator operators that use to announce the floors and the items on it. It was so neat. Before they moved to Gimbels I went to the original store just to ride the elevator one last time. This is something my kids will never know. Reads had stores in Trumbull, Southbury and Danbury. Jay
Sorry, I guess it was Read's, not Reed's! Yep this was the Southbury one. We still have a brown box of theirs that we have christmas decorations in.

That location became a Jordan Marsh sometime in the early-mid 80s, then something else I think before it became K-Mart (which it still is)... maybe Filene's or G. FOX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 06:23 PM
 
268 posts, read 493,197 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Say it ain't so. It has been several months since I have been there but I always did like it. I did think it could use a remodel though. I wonder if this is why friends wanted to have lunch at a different restaurant recently. Jay
Does anyone under the age of 75 actually eat there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Orange Virginia
814 posts, read 652,842 times
Reputation: 605
1. Sunday mornings and motorcycles at Marcus Dairy.

2. Windwill Diner.

3. Roller Skating Rink in Danbury.

4. Sherwood Island, I think that's the name.

5. Hartford Whalers.

I believe the Whalers are now the Carolina Hurricanes.

Last edited by STEVEN 1; 02-03-2015 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,655 posts, read 40,232,731 times
Reputation: 6999
Quote:
Originally Posted by whome224 View Post
Does anyone under the age of 75 actually eat there?
Uh yeah. I am not even close to that age but again I have not been there in a long time. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 PM
 
93 posts, read 113,808 times
Reputation: 30
the 1980s in New Haven:

-New Haven Nighthawk games at the Coliseum; WWF Wrestling with Andre the Giant at the Coliseum
-Chapel Square Mall
-Mayor DiLieto proposing this development and that development.
-4 downtown record stores including Cutlers, Amperes, the 4 story Strawberries
-big Jazz Festival concerts on the Green
-the Liberty Belle boat at Long Wharf
-Saturday morning wrestling on Channel 20, 38, etc, etc
-Wilbur Cross High basketball teams making runs for the state title year after year
-Still trying to do the Rubiks Cube while watching the 1986 World Series on TV (Mets-Red Sox)... and I'm a Yankees fan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 AM
 
2,729 posts, read 2,489,906 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I remember DM Read's Department Store. Their main store was in downtown Bridgeport and I don't mean the newer one that was once Gimbel's. The original store had elevator operators that use to announce the floors and the items on it. It was so neat. Before they moved to Gimbels I went to the original store just to ride the elevator one last time. This is something my kids will never know. Reads had stores in Trumbull, Southbury and Danbury. Jay
And Derby. The Lowes in Derby used to be Read's. I remember shopping there as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 05:40 AM
 
2,729 posts, read 2,489,906 times
Reputation: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus View Post
the 1980s in New Haven:

-New Haven Nighthawk games at the Coliseum; WWF Wrestling with Andre the Giant at the Coliseum
-Chapel Square Mall
-Mayor DiLieto proposing this development and that development.
-4 downtown record stores including Cutlers, Amperes, the 4 story Strawberries
-big Jazz Festival concerts on the Green
-the Liberty Belle boat at Long Wharf
-Saturday morning wrestling on Channel 20, 38, etc, etc
-Wilbur Cross High basketball teams making runs for the state title year after year
-Still trying to do the Rubiks Cube while watching the 1986 World Series on TV (Mets-Red Sox)... and I'm a Yankees fan
I'll add a couple.

Yale Co-Op
Fitzwillys
Yankee Doodle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 10:13 AM
 
2,971 posts, read 2,033,261 times
Reputation: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I'll add a couple.

Yale Co-Op
Fitzwillys
Yankee Doodle
and Skidders!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,655 posts, read 40,232,731 times
Reputation: 6999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
And Derby. The Lowes in Derby used to be Read's. I remember shopping there as a kid.
I forgot they had a Derby store for a while. It was pretty nice too. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top