U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 03:06 PM

3,547 posts, read 2,704,023 times

Advertisements

On the subject of BT's I remember they had a comedy club downstairs and I went in there with my girlfriend once when we were underage. No one seemed to care and we got loaded. Also, the executive chef from BT's left to become the executive chef at "The Great American Cafe" in Somerset Square Glastonbury. This was about 1988.

One of the best memories for me would have to be Plainville drive in and the roller skating rink next door. Currently this area is a big shopping plaza that includes a Kohl's.

In the 80's we would go to the rink to meet girls then go outside and sit in the grass and watch the movie at the drive in. We didn't pay for the movie, but at first no one seemed to care. After a while the police took notice and would shoo everyone away.

Going further back into the 70's the roller skating rink was once the site of a race track. I think it was called "Plainville Stadium" I saw some races and demolition derby's there with my father.

I also remember when the New Britain Red Sox were the Bristol Red Sox at Muzzy field. I think they moved around 1982.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 AM

24,635 posts, read 40,208,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
And Derby. The Lowes in Derby used to be Read's. I remember shopping there as a kid.
There was also a Read's in Yorktown, NY at the Jefferson Valley Mall. Just saw it when I googled the JV Mall for the other thread we have here. Jay

Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
On the subject of BT's I remember they had a comedy club downstairs and I went in there with my girlfriend once when we were underage. No one seemed to care and we got loaded. Also, the executive chef from BT's left to become the executive chef at "The Great American Cafe" in Somerset Square Glastonbury. This was about 1988.

One of the best memories for me would have to be Plainville drive in and the roller skating rink next door. Currently this area is a big shopping plaza that includes a Kohl's.

In the 80's we would go to the rink to meet girls then go outside and sit in the grass and watch the movie at the drive in. We didn't pay for the movie, but at first no one seemed to care. After a while the police took notice and would shoo everyone away.

Going further back into the 70's the roller skating rink was once the site of a race track. I think it was called "Plainville Stadium" I saw some races and demolition derby's there with my father.

I also remember when the New Britain Red Sox were the Bristol Red Sox at Muzzy field. I think they moved around 1982.
Citysteam still has a comedy club right where the BT's one was. Jay

Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM

3,556 posts, read 2,328,825 times
I'm trying to remember this "reads"... I'll have to look it up I guess.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I'm trying to remember this "reads"... I'll have to look it up I guess.
Reads was a local department store based in Bridgeport. It had a large store downtown and in Trumbull Shopping Park (now Westfield Trumbull). The Trumbull store was a big 3 level store and was where Target is now located. IT was originally privately owned but they sold out to Federated Department Stores a long time ago. Federated operated it under the Read's name and even expanded the number of stores under that name. Later they consolidated it to the Jordan Marsh name which was a big Boston store. I think the store also changed names to a New York store Federated owned at one point too. Federated eventually merged with the owner of Macy's so the stores all changed names or closed. Jay

Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,417,186 times
Remember the elevator operator ladies at Reids and Hollands?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Remember the elevator operator ladies at Reids and Hollands?
Yes I do. I think I posted about them earlier on this thread. Do you remember when Howlands was a big department store in downtown Bridgeport? It was larger than Read's. I was a little kid when they moved to Fairfield. I remember when that store was being built and everyone was so excited because Holland's was moving to Fairfield. The new store looked small but everyone thought that it was just an illusion until the day it opened. Boy were people disappointed in how small the new store was. I remember going on opening day and them handing out free samples. I think they gave away prizes too. Boy that brings back memories. Jay

Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,472,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarcus View Post
- WWF Wrestling with Andre the Giant at the Coliseum
When I worked on Summer St. in Stamford we were right next door to WWF HQ (they later moved to exit 9). We saw a lot of the guys and often got to chat them up at the convenience store next to the DQ.

And if you thought watching Andre the Giant wrestle was fun, being at Oliver's in White Plains on a night he was downing a case of Heine's was even more impressive

Old 02-05-2015, 12:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,417,186 times
How about the Fritz and Hawley on Main very near to Golds I think. They sold Unitron telescopes made in Mass. My dad bought me one in maybe 1967 for $238. That was weeks pay or more for him. I think my folks thought buying stuff like that would make me smarter but it didn't. I sold that scope when I got out of the Air Force in 1976 for $100. Today it would go for several 100s.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:32 PM

268 posts, read 492,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes I do. I think I posted about them earlier on this thread. Do you remember when Howlands was a big department store in downtown Bridgeport? It was larger than Read's. I was a little kid when they moved to Fairfield. I remember when that store was being built and everyone was so excited because Holland's was moving to Fairfield. The new store looked small but everyone thought that it was just an illusion until the day it opened. Boy were people disappointed in how small the new store was. I remember going on opening day and them handing out free samples. I think they gave away prizes too. Boy that brings back memories. Jay
Where was Holland's in Fairfield?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut