U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,390,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post

And the Lafayette Plaza Mall in Bridgeport? Not as nice, but I remember going to a record shop there. Can't be that bad if it has a record store! ---on 2nd thought, this might be a 70's memory, not sure.
Ugh. You just dredged up a bad memory from my youth. Brought to that mall so my mother and aunt could see some soap star making an appearance. That mall was just pandemonium that day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 AM

25,000 posts, read 40,687,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Loved the Fairfield Store... Although it's nice having the co-op bookstore and Starbucks in the middle of downtown.

Used to also shop at Henry's....
Henry's was the best. Not fancy or trendy, just a great basic clothing store. It had great service. One of the long time staff there, Leo was a family friend. Clothing was in his blood. He knew so much about the business. Sadly the store became a victim of changing tastes and shopping habits. I long for finding a place like that today. They just don't exist anymore. Also great was Gene's Boot Shop right next door. Bought all my shoes there for years. Jay

Old 02-06-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
Chapel Square Mall in New Haven. For a while they had a food court on the 2nd floor with seating overlooking the green. That was the coolest.

And the Lafayette Plaza Mall in Bridgeport? Not as nice, but I remember going to a record shop there. Can't be that bad if it has a record store! ---on 2nd thought, this might be a 70's memory, not sure.
I remember when Sears opened in Lafayette Plaza (actually the mall itself did not open at that point yet). They had sent every household a card with a code number on it and if you went to the store on opening day, a lot of the display merchandise had a ticket with a code number as well. If you could find your code number on one of the displays, you won the item. I remember going through the entire store with my sister to try and find an item with our number. Sadly we were unsuccessful but it was a great way to get people in and get to know the store.

I also kind of remember the event you are talking about. I did not go but it was well covered in the Post. Lafayette Plaza was a pretty good mall. It was bigger than Chapel Square and laid out better with the anchors on either end of the central mall. Gimbels was a good store back in its day, as was Sears and there were a lot of good smaller shops in between them. At Chapel Square you had the two anchors and then the smaller store on one end toward the green. I did not like that arrangement, nor was I impressed with any of the stores there. Jay

Old 02-06-2015, 09:16 AM

3,591 posts, read 2,775,478 times
Strawberries record store. There was one on Corbins Corner then it moved next to Burger King. I also went to one in Weathersfield and Bristol.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:48 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,455,225 times
How about that magazine store on Main and John? They had tons of mags. All kinds too. Speaking of records, Jay, remember HL Greens with those 100s of 45s?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:57 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,199,866 times
Speaking of Strawberries.. does anyone remember the record store in the Southbury Plaza called Record World? I remember being in there when it was still mostly vinyl records in the middle of the store, with big racks of cassettes on the walls.

Later it became Square Circle, then The Wall, then Strawberries, then Nye (?) - then disappeared entirely I think.

When I started getting an allowance, I used to buy a tape every week there. Was it (Record World) a chain?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
How about that magazine store on Main and John? They had tons of mags. All kinds too. Speaking of records, Jay, remember HL Greens with those 100s of 45s?
Gee I remember Greens but not their records. Do you remember Karl Grath Records? I don't remember where they were but I remember them advertising on WICCA. Jay

Old 02-07-2015, 01:41 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,455,225 times
Robert Hall was a popular men's store. Were they in Lafayette or the Trumbull mall?

Old 02-07-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Robert Hall was a popular men's store. Were they in Lafayette or the Trumbull mall?
I remember there was a Robert Hall on the circle in Fairfield. It was next to Dunkin Donuts. I don't remember there being one at either mall but I could be wrong. Jay.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:59 PM

I remember the original Caldor carting fine China and crystal. They would even wrap gifts there. Jay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut