U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:39 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,455,225 times

Advertisements

How about Pete's Subs around East Main and Boston Ave. Open all night and getting robbed about once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 04:40 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,075,922 times
[.QUOTE=Stratford, Ct. Resident;38356787]The smell of "funny" smoke in the air at concerts inside of the Coliseum.[/quote]

The quintessential 80s CT memory right there. Some bands favorite venue to play as well, including VH.

Speaking of record stores, there was Crazy Eddies, with that guy hopped up on coke screaming in the tv commercials.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:58 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,510,993 times
G Fox in downtown hartford

War and Peace at West Hartford Center

The movie theater on the corner of New Britain Ave & Quaker Lane in West Hartford - who remembers this?

and the lack of an income tax although I wasn't working!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,916,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Speaking of record stores, there was Crazy Eddies, with that guy hopped up on coke screaming in the tv commercials.
Actually to be clear-- "he" was an actor named Jerry Caroll.

1984 - Crazy Eddie - YouTube

The owners of Crazy Eddie-- the Antar brothers-- DID go to prison, but not for Coke. They did time (rather famously) for securities fraud.

Still, was a great store. I remember the one in Norwalk off Connecticut Avenue.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 PM

5,579 posts, read 8,292,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Actually to be clear-- "he" was an actor named Jerry Caroll.

1984 - Crazy Eddie - YouTube

The owners of Crazy Eddie-- the Antar brothers-- DID go to prison, but not for Coke. They did time (rather famously) for securities fraud.

Still, was a great store. I remember the one in Norwalk off Connecticut Avenue.
Those stores always seem to have a short shelf life.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 3,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Dancing, Dancing was cool in the 80's

Cahoots
Ellery's - Ellery's gold cards for free drinks on your birthday
Captains Cove
There was some place in Hamden with cars under the tar in the parking lot
Dressing up on Friday and Saturday
Cocktail Dresses and heels with matching bags
even the guys had big hair
T-top roof cars in the summer
Hi, I went to Ellery`s a lot during the 80's, from 87 till 91, the I moved out of the state.
I have been looking through the web for Ellerys, to see if there are some pic`s about it or if the Disco Still standing. No been able to fing anything.
I don`t remember if Ellery`s belongs to Orange or to New haven, I still remeber the exit in Ct 95, was 29 or 30 right.
If you can gime some info about this beautifull disco from the 80`s I really appreciatte that.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 586 times
Went to the University of New Haven 1980-1982.

Anyone remember the name of the Led Zeppelin tribute band that played frequently at The Keg House during that time?

Also, anyone attend the Shooting Star concert at Toad's Place? Looking for the date.

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2018, 09:39 PM

16,921 posts, read 6,414,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTAFT View Post
Went to the University of New Haven 1980-1982.

Anyone remember the name of the Led Zeppelin tribute band that played frequently at The Keg House during that time?

Also, anyone attend the Shooting Star concert at Toad's Place? Looking for the date.

Thanks!

I went 1978-80, and if I recall correctly, the band at 80 year end outdoor party was a young group called Jackson Browne.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 3,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
G Fox in downtown hartford

War and Peace at West Hartford Center

The movie theater on the corner of New Britain Ave & Quaker Lane in West Hartford - who remembers this?

and the lack of an income tax although I wasn't working!

I remember that place, although I think it was called War and Pieces. They ended up going out all of a sudden, with little warning (that I remember at least!)

Reading this topic, I really wish I could move back. But looking at rents(unable to work) and someone is still there I'd rather avoid, doesn't look feasible at this time. Still miss home though...

Old 07-11-2018, 10:12 AM

435 posts, read 467,566 times
The quintessential 80s CT memory right there. Some bands favorite venue to play as well, including VH.

Speaking of record stores, there was Crazy Eddies, with that guy hopped up on coke screaming in the tv commercials.[/quote]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dated post, I know -- but I'm wondering if Crazy Eddie actually sold any records. I bought a lot of vinyl back in the day, and I don't recall ever going into a CE to look at their records.
The Wiz, for sure, had records/CDs, and videos/DVDs. To me they were the flip side of Crazy Eddies. CE's was like Newmark and Lewis, only more crooked.

And how about this for an old Connecticut store chain: Friendly Frost Appliances. I just remember their advertising from my childhood. Pretty cool name, no pun intended.

/update/ I just noticed I committed a thread violation. This thread is about the 80's. I don't think Friendly Frost survived into that decade! Mea culpa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut