U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 AM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hln917 View Post
Wow~ thanks for the memories MLASSOF. I also grew up in Fairfield County, first Bridgeport than Monroe. I also left after graduating high school but still visit my family there.

Fishing at the Pleasure Beach pier
Carnival at Seaside Beach
Tomlinson's Hot Dog in Bridgeport (is it still there?)
Danbury Fair
Saturdays at the Wonderland of Ice skating rink in Bridgeport
Movies at the Trumbull Mall
Rum cake from Luigi's in Trumbull
Ringling Bros Barnum Bailey Circus at the New Haven Coliseum
Tomlinson's is still there but they tore down the old shack and replaced it with a new fast-food looking place. I haven't been in a while but the last time the dogs were still pretty good. Jay
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 12:39 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Tomlinson's is still there but they tore down the old shack and replaced it with a new fast-food looking place. I haven't been in a while but the last time the dogs were still pretty good. Jay

The dogs are still o.k., as are the dogs at Rawley's in FF. But, since Roessler threw in the towel, it's just not the same. Life goes on.......

Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM

Sorry to hear that Jay

Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 AM

1,789 posts, read 3,958,532 times
The memories I remember going to Friendly's on Black Rock Turnpike with my dad to get a hot fudge sundae. Who can forget the Merritt Canteen on Main St in Bridgeport.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The memories I remember going to Friendly's on Black Rock Turnpike with my dad to get a hot fudge sundae. Who can forget the Merritt Canteen on Main St in Bridgeport.
The Merritt Canteen is still there but the Friendly's on Black Rock Turnpike is gone. To me Friendly's has gotten too fancy for what it is suppose to be, a basic ice cream and sandwich shop. I really hate the place. Most have very poor service and the food is mediocre at best. JMHO, Jay

Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 PM

1,789 posts, read 3,958,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The Merritt Canteen is still there but the Friendly's on Black Rock Turnpike is gone. To me Friendly's has gotten too fancy for what it is suppose to be, a basic ice cream and sandwich shop. I really hate the place. Most have very poor service and the food is mediocre at best. JMHO, Jay
I agree. When I went there as a kid it was very different back in the seventies. Boy how time goes by.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,810,600 times
I was chatting with some other Connecticut ex-pats the other day. We agreed Friendly's by far is on average the filthiest restaurant chain out there.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I was chatting with some other Connecticut ex-pats the other day. We agreed Friendly's by far is on average the filthiest restaurant chain out there.
I agree. Denny's is giving them a run for the title, though.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 PM

15,741 posts, read 21,986,671 times
I don't remember much about CT in the 80s so some things I mention might be from the early 90s. I was born in Fairfield, moved away, and moved back when I was 8. I remember going to Dip Top in Orange (the old one before the fire), when the Army visited the Trumbull Mall, I remember when George Bush came to Connecticut in Ansonia. I also remember the Ansonia Mall, going to see the Whalers, dollar movies at Edmond Town Hall in Newtown (I think they're still about 2 bucks), and John Crane from Action News 8. Oh yeah, that's when Fairfield was middle class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
We agreed Friendly's by far is on average the filthiest restaurant chain out there.
I worked at Friendly's about 8 years ago when I was a senior in high school. The ice cream was fine then, but the kitchen was nasty. This was in 1999-2000, and even then it was going downhill. I haven't been back since and don't even want to know how bad it is now. I'll stick with Gofers in Stamford!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,810,600 times
Default Edmond Town Hall Movies

I remember that! It was a little bit of a drive from Trumbull, but definitly saw some great movies there for a buck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut