U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,728 times

Advertisements

Who remembers the name of the bar (before Tumbleweeds) in Brookside Shopping Center??
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 PM

5,531 posts, read 8,188,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Cinzanos is still there too. Still pretty good. Jay
Does that have the same owners as Cinzano's in Fairfield?

Cinzano's in Fairfield is actually like taking a step back in time. When I go in there, it's 1986 all over again.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
The Merritt Canteen is still there but the Friendly's on Black Rock Turnpike is gone. To me Friendly's has gotten too fancy for what it is suppose to be, a basic ice cream and sandwich shop. I really hate the place. Most have very poor service and the food is mediocre at best. JMHO, Jay
I went into the Friendly's on Black Rock Turnpike when it was still open. Once I sat there for 15 minutes without anybody acknowledging my presence. And the place was empty. I walked out. It's no wonder they went out of business.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:23 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,814,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Does that have the same owners as Cinzano's in Fairfield?

Cinzano's in Fairfield is actually like taking a step back in time. When I go in there, it's 1986 all over again.
Yes, Cinzano's has the same owners. I went in there a few months ago and the owner recognized be from going there VERY frequently when I was in high school and home from college.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, Cinzano's has the same owners. I went in there a few months ago and the owner recognized be from going there VERY frequently when I was in high school and home from college.
How long ago was that? The owner must have a very good memory.

You also must have had a lot of money in high school and college. That place isn't exactly in the budget of the typical high schooler or college student to go there frequently.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 AM

24,586 posts, read 40,140,661 times
Quote:
I went into the Friendly's on Black Rock Turnpike when it was still open. Once I sat there for 15 minutes without anybody acknowledging my presence. And the place was empty. I walked out. It's no wonder they went out of business.
Yeap, poor service and crummy food will do any restaurant in. I think this is why so many friendly's closed. Their food got bad and management was not good. The one here in Glastonbury is awful. It amazes me people still go there. We don't and most of our friends don't either. Jay

Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Yeap, poor service and crummy food will do any restaurant in. I think this is why so many friendly's closed. Their food got bad and management was not good. The one here in Glastonbury is awful. It amazes me people still go there. We don't and most of our friends don't either. Jay
The only thing that saves Friendly's is that their ice cream is good. Even so, I'm surprised it has stayed in business this long. It's been in decline at least since the 1970s, with no apparent attempt being made to run the restaurants better.

They've changed their menu a lot, and I liked the old one better. It was better when it was a place for burgers and fries, ice cream and shakes. Better to do that well than to offer a wider menu and do it poorly.

It's a shame because I used to like their food. They had very good burgers at one time. But they're so poorly run and managed that it's nearly impossible to go there. There's still one in my town, down in Southport, but I've only been there once. I can buy their ice cream in the supermarket if I really want it.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:03 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,814,109 times
Quote:
How long ago was that? The owner must have a very good memory.

You also must have had a lot of money in high school and college. That place isn't exactly in the budget of the typical high schooler or college student to go there frequently.
It was one of my family's favorite restaurants. We were there weekly. But thanks for implying that I was making things up-- especially on something as unimportant and ridiculous as this.

As far as money goes, I'm not sure why you're concerned about my family's budget from 1988-1996, but, if it makes you feel better, my father paid for the food.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It was one of my family's favorite restaurants. We were there weekly. But thanks for implying that I was making things up-- especially on something as unimportant and ridiculous as this.

As far as money goes, I'm not sure why you're concerned about my family's budget from 1988-1996, but, if it makes you feel better, my father paid for the food.
Yikes, you're a little sensitive. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were making things up. I was picturing you going there with your friends, not your family. I probably chose my words poorly. I was just a little puzzled by what you wrote, but now that I know you went with your family, it makes sense. Still, the owner has a good memory after all these years. And I imagine you look different now than you did then.

Did you know that his sons own the "Bear and Grill" restaurant just a couple of blocks up from Cinzano's on Black Rock Turnpike?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 AM

3,861 posts, read 10,093,757 times
For 80s memories, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the removal of the Toll Booths from the Merritt Parkway. The first time we approached one of the now abandoned toll booths, we watched the woman in the car in front us slow down to pass through and air pump her fists in victory over not having to pay the toll. And we did the same as we drove through after her!

Of course what is unmentioned, is how many people had to die in car crashes at toll booth related highway back ups, before the state finally relented and removed the booths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut