U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:09 AM

5,528 posts, read 8,184,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
For 80s memories, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the removal of the Toll Booths from the Merritt Parkway. The first time we approached one of the now abandoned toll booths, we watched the woman in the car in front us slow down to pass through and air pump her fists in victory over not having to pay the toll. And we did the same as we drove through after her!

Of course what is unmentioned, is how many people had to die in car crashes at toll booth related highway back ups, before the state finally relented and removed the booths.
I remember the toll booths on I-95 and the Merritt. It's hard to remember where they were now, but I do remember the ones in Greenwich.

Do you remember the Mianus River Bridge collapse in 1983? And how the Yankee Doodle Bridge on I-95 in Norwalk was suddenly closed the following summer when inspectors found a defect with the bridge? Traffic from I-95 was dumped out onto Route 1 until the road was re-opened. I don't remember how long it was. What a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,882,321 times
maxi dough at the Danbury Fair and watching the Hurricane Hell riders.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,935,063 times
Grew up in Ridgefield, 1975-1991:

1. Danbury Fair...and then the Danbury Fair Mall
2. Toll booths
3. Small Local movie theatres, Ridgefield, Wilton, Westport...
4. Caldors and Bradlees
5. Cumberland Farms for milk

Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,046,935 times
Living in Bridgeport 1985 (when I was born) through 1989. From those first four years I remember:

1) Seeing my first in-theater movie, The Little Mermaid, in Trumbull at the mall. Tickets could be purchased at a tiny window outside. I remember looking waaaayyyy up at the seller while we were waiting in line in the rain.
2) Tomlinson's, before the renovations
3) Pathmark on Main Street (I hated going in there as a kid)
4) The big pumpkin patch mixed among bundles of hay at the Jones Tree Farm store
5) The Enchanted Forest in Fairfield. The princesses were pretty but they wore too much blush
6) Brick Oven Pizza - where we went out for dinner with my brother's Little League team
7) Driving by the Hi-Ho Motel on my way to my babysitter's house and always thinking that it was a "nice place" that I wanted to visit someday (I never have.)

Old 10-11-2010, 09:01 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,921,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

My parents took me out of school to go to the Danbury Fair on one of the very last days. I wonder how many have been to the Fair the mall is named after!
I grew up in Danbury and we would get a day off from school to visit the Danbury Fair, and I think we were given tickets to the fair. The last year of the fair, my parents decided to take us to the Big E instead and we still have the unused tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
For 80s memories, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the removal of the Toll Booths from the Merritt Parkway. The first time we approached one of the now abandoned toll booths, we watched the woman in the car in front us slow down to pass through and air pump her fists in victory over not having to pay the toll. And we did the same as we drove through after her!
I was too young to remember the car crashes, but I do remember the toll booths when my sister too me to Hammonassett State Park one summer.

I remember the Naugatuck Mall when my parents brought us there once, I thought it was so cool to have shopping inside like that.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,185,025 times
I was still very young in teh 80's but here are my memories.......

1. The "old style" Friendly's, where the waitresses wore those chechered type uniforms.
2. Center of Newington with the 99 cent movie theather.
3. The Berlin Turnpike had the 1-2-3 (I think) cinema and Roy Rogers (where Arby's is now). Roy Rogers was THE hangout for us.
3. Elmwood had a movie theater with the balcony.
4. I remember call boxes on highways too
5. The corner drugstore with it's penny and nickel candy.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:59 AM

2,102 posts, read 6,805,917 times
Although I never went, one of the first things I recall when moving to this state in April, 1987, was Jai Alai being advertized heavily on TV and radio.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:05 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Although I never went, one of the first things I recall when moving to this state in April, 1987, was Jai Alai being advertized heavily on TV and radio.

Rebote Carom!!!!

BTW Rich, you made a mistake in your post. You're slipping.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:19 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,805,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Rebote Carom!!!!

BTW Rich, you made a mistake in your post. You're slipping.
It's good to know that some of my co-workers have a dictionary at their desk! In the one that I referenced, it showed both ADVERTISE and ADVERTIZE (v.). Microsoft Word also showed both spellings for U.S. usage. Whew!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:22 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,882,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
OMG!! My grandfather lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut