Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 12:45 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLookingToo View Post
Glad to see this 6 year old thread is still going! Just to clarify my previous "memory" vote for B.T.'s = Brown Thompson, like other. what a fun place down town. Anyone one know when it closed or what it's become?
Brown Thompson is now Citysteam. Very similar if not the same only now they brew beer there. Not sure when they changed its name but I did love BT back in the day. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
it's Dish now i believe (or was). in fact the 'emblem' in the wall reading B&T is still there. but there were 2 others i think - one in W Hartford across from the mall and the second i don't remember where it was.
No, Dish is in the old Sage Allen Department Store building. BT's was next door where Citysteam is today. The restaurant was named Brown Thompson because it was located in the old Brown-Thompson Department Store building which now has multiple retailers and the Marriott Residence Inn. I do remember the BT's across from Westfarms. Not sure where else they had one. Jay

Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Jay, do you remember if you made a phone call (from home) if you got a busy signal you could speak in between the signals to someone else who also was calling someone and had a busy signal? FYI they built a MacDonalds after Golds left.
Gold was where McDonalds is on Main Street? I thought it was on Middle Street but I could be wrong.

I do remember being able to do that with the telephone but also remember there being a number you could dial and talk to multiple people at one time. You would go on and give out your phone number and people would call you back. You weren't suppose to do that and my cousins got caught and in trouble when she shouted out her number. The phone company was monitoring the number that night. Different world. Jay

Old 02-03-2015, 01:04 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times
Some of my memories:

-- Going into NYC was rare and something feared by parents, as it was much more dangerous during that time..

-- Rollermagic in Waterbury (still there it seems.. but roller skating was way bigger back then!)

-- Going to the Taft School to take SATs in junior high for a gifted program and being amazed that it was really a high school.. (it was something like Hogwarts!)

-- Thinking the Naugatuck Valley Mall was disgusting even in its heyday

-- When going to see movies at 'Hoyts' meant the ghetto one behind NVM and not the big one in the brass mill mall now

-- Picking pumpkins at the pumpkin patch in Southbury (which is now the Southbury Green)

-- Seeing a play at the red barn Southbury Playhouse (which is now another shopping center.. seeing a pattern?)

-- When IBM moved into town and real estate values doubled/tripled almost overnight

-- Being taken by my parents to Reed's department store to buy clothes for special occasions

-- $1 movies at Edmond Town Hall were usually the first thing you did with a girlfriend/boyfriend (sad to hear they're $2 now!)

-- Being dropped off by your parents with friends at the Danbury Fair Mall felt like the first step toward independence

-- ... and Time Out arcade in the mall

-- KC101 in its heyday, when they did the late night dedications while playing 'Two Occasions'.. this sticks in my head so much!!

-- Knowing about the snow days faster than my friends because my mom was a teacher and they had a chain-phone-call through the faculty as soon as the superintendent decided..

-- Field trips to Sturbridge Village in MA felt like they took forever to drive to..

-- Quassy before it got really run-down.. and hearing rumors from older kids about someone died on the Monster..

-- Seymour being WAY more seedy than it is now

-- Singing for the old sick folks at River Glen..

-- All the old women who were still alive descended from the founding families of the surrounding towns.. I don't think there's much of that anymore..

-- Watching my dad play handball at an athletic club in Danbury.. remember handball??

... i'm sure there will be more..

Old 02-03-2015, 01:19 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,690,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
No, Dish is in the old Sage Allen Department Store building. BT's was next door where Citysteam is today. The restaurant was named Brown Thompson because it was located in the old Brown-Thompson Department Store building which now has multiple retailers and the Marriott Residence Inn. I do remember the BT's across from Westfarms. Not sure where else they had one. Jay
yeah, i corrected mine when i read the article. so that 'emblem' on the outside wall was for the Dept store not the restaurant?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:43 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
5) Thinking that the best LInguini in Red Clam Sauce in the world was found at Cinzano's in Fairfield
Did that place go downhill? Reviews are not so kind now.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:54 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Cinzano's, while still a sentimental favorite, has been going downhill. I get very much an IDC vibe when I go in there.

I had my 9th or 10th birthday party at Edmond Town Hall-- we took a bunch of friends to see "The Neverending Story" followed by pizza at Country Pizza.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I had my 9th or 10th birthday party at Edmond Town Hall-- we took a bunch of friends to see "The Neverending Story" followed by pizza at Country Pizza.
I saw it there as well, probably around the same time!

Didn't it have an old-fashioned intermission in the middle?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Some of my memories:

-- Going into NYC was rare and something feared by parents, as it was much more dangerous during that time..

-- Rollermagic in Waterbury (still there it seems.. but roller skating was way bigger back then!)

-- Going to the Taft School to take SATs in junior high for a gifted program and being amazed that it was really a high school.. (it was something like Hogwarts!)

-- Thinking the Naugatuck Valley Mall was disgusting even in its heyday

-- When going to see movies at 'Hoyts' meant the ghetto one behind NVM and not the big one in the brass mill mall now

-- Picking pumpkins at the pumpkin patch in Southbury (which is now the Southbury Green)

-- Seeing a play at the red barn Southbury Playhouse (which is now another shopping center.. seeing a pattern?)

-- When IBM moved into town and real estate values doubled/tripled almost overnight

-- Being taken by my parents to Reed's department store to buy clothes for special occasions

-- $1 movies at Edmond Town Hall were usually the first thing you did with a girlfriend/boyfriend (sad to hear they're $2 now!)

-- Being dropped off by your parents with friends at the Danbury Fair Mall felt like the first step toward independence

-- ... and Time Out arcade in the mall

-- KC101 in its heyday, when they did the late night dedications while playing 'Two Occasions'.. this sticks in my head so much!!

-- Knowing about the snow days faster than my friends because my mom was a teacher and they had a chain-phone-call through the faculty as soon as the superintendent decided..

-- Field trips to Sturbridge Village in MA felt like they took forever to drive to..

-- Quassy before it got really run-down.. and hearing rumors from older kids about someone died on the Monster..

-- Seymour being WAY more seedy than it is now

-- Singing for the old sick folks at River Glen..

-- All the old women who were still alive descended from the founding families of the surrounding towns.. I don't think there's much of that anymore..

-- Watching my dad play handball at an athletic club in Danbury.. remember handball??

... i'm sure there will be more..
I remember DM Read's Department Store. Their main store was in downtown Bridgeport and I don't mean the newer one that was once Gimbel's. The original store had elevator operators that use to announce the floors and the items on it. It was so neat. Before they moved to Gimbels I went to the original store just to ride the elevator one last time. This is something my kids will never know. Reads had stores in Trumbull, Southbury and Danbury. Jay

Old 02-03-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Say it ain't so. It has been several months since I have been there but I always did like it. I did think it could use a remodel though. I wonder if this is why friends wanted to have lunch at a different restaurant recently. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut