U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2007, 01:26 PM

16 posts, read 56,263 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We are a family of three and my son is approaching four years old. I am preparing to move to a town with a good school system, and I don't have to think about moving for the next 10 to 15 years.

I heard alot of good things especially the school system in Cheshire. When I started looking last September, my realtor asked me on our second visit to the town if I know about the mine issues in Cheshire. I was shocked and disappointed to find out that Cheshire has issues with barite mines which caused one of the homes of a resident to have a big hole in his backyard. This is scary! I thought I finally found a town that I would call home, but this issue have put me to look at North Haven. But, North Haven does not look as good as Cheshire. I am in a dilemma. Is there anyone here that lives in Cheshire or have lived there before that has information on this issue? Please share your views on this. Thank you!

I can't find this news again on the internet, but I found this link about the barite mines: http://www.rep-am.com/story.php?id=5689 (broken link)

There also information about contaminated water in that town: http://yosemite.epa.gov/r1/npl_pad.n...3?OpenDocument
http://www.cancerincheshire.com/
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 09:25 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,805,917 times
I live in Cheshire. Actually, I'm in my second house since moving to Cheshire in November, 1991.

As a real estate agent in Cheshire, we've had a lot of discussion about the mines. As for the contaminated water, most of Cheshire has city water. I'm not sure what area of town would have the contaminated water. I've heard of a similar problem in our neighboring town of Southington. I'll ask around in tomorrow's sales meeting.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Which part of Cheshire is the most desirable?

Rich,

Thanks for replying. They did mentioned one of the reservoir that supplies the water was contaminated and they are trying to fix the problem.

Which part of Cheshire is the most desirable? Where are the mines located?

Old 01-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Most affordable: West
Most desirable: South (I'm not sure why; I live in the North close to hwys)
Mines: West Central

Old 01-20-2007, 09:53 AM

73 posts, read 359,289 times
Pasted from another Cheshire post:
You might also want to look into Prospect, Ct !!! It's tucked right in between Cheshire and Naugatuck. Check out their homepage Below for facts and figures:

http://www.town-usa.com/connecticut/.../prospect.html

Old 02-10-2007, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 31,820 times
Default Prospect is NOT Cheshire

Please do yourself a favor. Grab a house in Cheshire, mines or no mines. Prospect is way too close to the crime and grime of Waterbury and Naugatuck. The schools are nothing to write home about, and frankly it's a bit shabby. Cheshire is a lovely town. I bought a house in Prospect this year after living on the Connecticut Shoreline for over 12 years, and I'm a little heartbroken about the low standards of Prospect. If I could have afforded it, I would much rather have bought in Durham or Cheshire, someplace where the individual residents care about their property values and keep things up. Oh well, two years and I'm outta here.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumlin View Post
I would much rather have bought in Durham or Cheshire, someplace where the individual residents care about their property values and keep things up. Oh well, two years and I'm outta here.

This is very true. On several streets, clients have asked how I know that we've crossed into another town (if there's no sign), I tell them to look at the landscaping! Most people in Cheshire are obsessed with curb appeal.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Cheshire is still the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
This is very true. On several streets, clients have asked how I know that we've crossed into another town (if there's no sign), I tell them to look at the landscaping! Most people in Cheshire are obsessed with curb appeal.
Rich, no doubt Cheshire is still one of the best town around. As I have posted above about my concerns; I don't want to put my young family at risk. Has the town fix the water contamination problems? Do you think I should focus on South Cheshire? I know this is really hard for someone who live in the town and love it.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 20,037 times
I live in Cheshire the town is a very nice town and the schools are so good

Old 05-02-2007, 08:29 PM

7 posts, read 40,359 times
Default Education

As a teacher in Cheshire, I cannot say enough about the quality and level of resources available to the students. Rest assured your son's/daughter's will get a top notch education with many caring and warm educators. If you are willing to make the move into Cheshire, I would strongly urge you to do it. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut