Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,382 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about people from Connecticut in the news:

The latest crazy person to climb the New York Times building in Times Square is a guy from East Haven.

Quote:
A Connecticut man was arrested this morning after he scaled the New York Times building in New York City this morning.

The New York Daily News reported it received a call from the man who identified himself as 29-year old David Malone, a college dropout from Connecticut who studies Al Qaeda.

He told the paper he was looking some free publicity.
Alex Rodriguez from the NY Yankees is all over the news today because of his alleged affairs. One of the girls mentioned is Alicia Marie a fitness model who graduated *** Laude and with Honors and Distinction from the University of Connecticut with a degree in Neuroscience and Psychology. Beauty and brains...not bad.

CT native Marc Gonsalves was recently freed from his captors in the jungles of Colombia:
Quote:
Former hostage Marc Gonsalves described his captors in the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, as criminals deeply involved in drug dealing, extortion and kidnapping.

He said the group, which has waged a bitter, decades-long rebellion, is so cruel its fighters once withheld nourishment from a newborn child, and has become so hopeless some members have committed suicide
Not too long ago....The film The Forbidden Kingdom by Writer and Waterbury native John Fusco was released starring Jet Li and Jackie Chan. Fusco was also responsible for Young Guns. I'm also on the lookout for his book Paradise Salvage which is loosely based in Waterbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
Maybe not as high profile but it concerns MY news of some CT people - lol!

Last Wednesday (7-2-08) a New Haven Pizzeria worker heard it from me when they wanted to charge me an outrageous price of $8.00 for 2 SMALL (and I mean small) slices of plain pizza and a Snapple Ice Tea. I told them sternly that they can keep it.

With that kind of scalping - I was thinking no wonder some CT people are "mushy" in their facial expressions. I met two sweet women visiting NH (and at that pizzeria) who have relocated to Mystic originally from NYC both wanted to shake my hand agreeing with me.

I live in an affluent area of Northern NJ and even we don't pay that high a price for such and even will go onto saying that even in NYC I can have the same meal for less money but a better "product" in the end.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM

893 posts, read 790,621 times
What is surprizing when even the elected officials are crooks?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:14 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Maybe not as high profile but it concerns MY news of some CT people - lol!

Last Wednesday (7-2-08) a New Haven Pizzeria worker heard it from me when they wanted to charge me an outrageous price of $8.00 for 2 SMALL (and I mean small) slices of plain pizza and a Snapple Ice Tea. I told them sternly that they can keep it.

With that kind of scalping - I was thinking no wonder some CT people are "mushy" in their facial expressions. I met two sweet women visiting NH (and at that pizzeria) who have relocated to Mystic originally from NYC both wanted to shake my hand agreeing with me.

I live in an affluent area of Northern NJ and even we don't pay that high a price for such and even will go onto saying that even in NYC I can have the same meal for less money but a better "product" in the end.

njguy - The Snapple was probably $2 and the pizza slices $3 which is not entirely unreasonable anywhere. I have been to NJ (use to live there and have friends there) so I know that while there are places that are more reasonable, $8 is not entirely out of line. I can't comment on the size of the slices or the quality but I do not think it is that unreasonable. If you really want to see outragous prices go to Yankee Stadium or Disney World. $8 would seem like a bargain in comparison. JMHO Jay

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post

Time for a reality check (March 2008 NY Times):

Quote:
Visits to pizza parlors around Manhattan found similar increases, or plans for them, perhaps up to $3 a slice.

A few pizzeria owners and managers said they were holding out, waiting to adjust their prices until their rivals make a move
The price of everything has gone up! And for the record, there is still some great pizza to be found in NYC but you have to hunt for it. The great pizza ratio is much, much higher in CT!

www.nytimes.com/2008/03/07/nyregion/07room4.html

This is way off topic, I started this thread to discuss people from CT in the news.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
Time for a reality check (March 2008 NY Times):

The price of everything has gone up! And for the record, there is still some great pizza to be found in NYC but you have to hunt for it. The great pizza ratio is much, much higher in CT!

www.nytimes.com/2008/03/07/nyregion/07room4.html

This is way off topic, I started this thread to discuss people from CT in the news.
Well it is CT people. But maybe not from the media.

I know about things going up especially flour, plus I've been to pizzerias locally and about $2.00 slice is now the norm and about $1.50 for a snapple.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
njguy - The Snapple was probably $2 and the pizza slices $3 which is not entirely unreasonable anywhere. I have been to NJ (use to live there and have friends there) so I know that while there are places that are more reasonable, $8 is not entirely out of line. I can't comment on the size of the slices or the quality but I do not think it is that unreasonable. If you really want to see outragous prices go to Yankee Stadium or Disney World. $8 would seem like a bargain in comparison. JMHO Jay
I guess that these prices then are a CT norm?

Ohhhhh Yes - those sports stadium food vendors as well as main attractions would surely make $8.00 a bargain.

This thread title "kinda" hit a nerve with me as it was still fresh on my mind and it was hard to resist hence my first post.

I won't discuss about this after this response as the OP was kinda right about my story/post being a bit off his thread title subject - I apologize to both of you.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:16 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post

Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
lol, too funny...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,012 times
Not sure where you went, but New Haven is known for Pizza.

Some of the best places in the country, Modern Pizza, Pepes, Sally's, wooster st. ect....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut