Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
sor sor started this thread

14 posts, read 63,100 times

Advertisements

what's the best communte by train or bus from seymour to wall street arrival time to work at 9am. should I drive to bridgeport or waterbury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,214 times
Default Map of the Waterbury line of the Metronorth RR attached

I've pasted a picture of the MetroNorth RR routes obtained from the MTA website. You can see the waterbury line. There are stations at each of the towns listed. If you go to the MTA's website and plug in start and end stations they will figure your commute time from each place.

[CENTER] [/CENTER]

Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 AM

271 posts, read 1,278,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
what's the best communte by train or bus from seymour to wall street arrival time to work at 9am. should I drive to bridgeport or waterbury?

You wouldn't drive to Waterbury because that train passes through Seymour en route to Bridgeport.

The train leaves Seymour at 6:18 and arrives in Grand Central at 8:18. From there you could take the 4/5 train down to Wall Street.

The problem would be the return trip. You don't say what time you typically get out of work. There is a train to Seymour that leaves Grand Central at 4:35 and the next one leaves at 7:05. I mentioned in my other post there are rumours that metro-north will add another train but that may or may not happen.

You would be better off driving to Bridgeport and taking the train from there since pretty much between 4:00pm and 8:00pm trains leave nyc every 15 minutes.

Maybe somebody else can tell you how long the drive from Seymour to Bport is during rush hour.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:58 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,903,161 times
According to the Metro North schedule, you would have to leave Seymour on the 6:18 AM train to get into Grand Central at 8:19 AM. That will give you a little over 1/2 hour to get downtown by 9:00 AM. Not sure about return trips. Jay

Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Forgot to add that it is a 37 minute train ride from Seymour to Bridgeport. It should not take you that long to drive it but keep in mind that sometimes traffic does get busy on the lower section of route 8 when you get near downtown and the train station. Jay

Old 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,687,214 times
Default IMO I'd plan 35-40minutes of drive time to get to Bridgeport during peak of the rush.

Starting soon the DOT will be revamping the interchange at Rt8 Derby. While we know that work is supposed to done on off peak hours, it can have a tendancy to spill over into the rushhour; traffic then would route around Rt8. That would potentially make getting around & down to Bridgeport via the roadways take longer. IMO I'd plan 35-40minutes of drive time to get to Bridgeport during peak of the rush. If your going to leave early it will be much better. My spouse drives to Stamford from Seymour very early (6:15am & usually gets there in an 1hr20mns).

Anyway, the daily back up and delays of Rt 8 at exits 3,2,&1 for downtown Bridgeport can wear on you. I used to sit in that log jam years ago when Warnaco was in downtown BPT. Personally, If I had to make the trip, I'd rather sit on a train the whole way vs. the grief of people passing on the right, driving on the shoulder, and cutting you off right at the exit.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It should not take you that long to drive it but keep in mind that sometimes traffic does get busy on the lower section of route 8 when you get near downtown and the train station. Jay
Traffic on Rt 8 South can become very heavy beginning in Ansonia and continuing through exit 13 in northern Shelton. Once you are past exit 13, you should be fine until Bridgeport. The ride without traffic is about 20 minutes, with traffic can be 35 to Bridgeport from downtown Seymour.

I know someone who commutes from Seymour to Wilton (a 27 mile drive) and it takes her 90 minutes due to the Merritt Parkway congestion. It's horrible, which is why I never recommend that anyone commuting to NYC take their car. People who claim CT's traffic is nothing compared to other areas of the country should try driving from the Valley to lower Fairfield County at 7am - they will surely change their opinion.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Starting soon the DOT will be revamping the interchange at Rt 8 Derby.
The sign is already warning travelers to "use alternate routes" starting 07/15/2008.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
The sign is already warning travelers to "use alternate routes" starting 07/15/2008.
It will be a huge mess. In downtown Derby, I often sit through a few rounds of changing lights before I move - the revamping will make this much worse. Hopefully it will be straightened out by the time I move back to CT since I have family in the Valley.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:09 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,795 times
I agree. I didn't know how bad the back-up was as a result of the Commodore-Hull Bridge until I started commuting to Shelton. As a result, I go 6 miles out of my way for a more predictable (and quicker) commute by taking Route 69 to Route 15 to Route 8 north.

It's unfortunate to add that much to my carbon footprint, but it beats sitting idle for up to 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut