U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 11:38 AM

13 posts, read 32,844 times

Advertisements

We might have to move to FairfieldCounty. I've been reading the messages for a couple of days now, but I still have some questions. I've never been to CT/East coast.

If we are going to buy a house, the price should be 400 K or less for at least 3 br/2b, living, dining, kitchen, family, den or finished basement, +1600 sq f.

Two kids: 5th and 7th graders.

I was thinking of: Redding, Trumbull, Fairfield town or Ridgefield(neighborhoods?), not too far from Wilton. Good Middle school/High school district is important. What about the commute, shops etc.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, tips and comments.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM

24,635 posts, read 40,220,293 times
You do not say where your job would be so it is difficult to comment on the commute. The towns indicated are all good but some may be more expensive than your budget. Your best bet would be Fairfield or Trumbull. Ridgefield and Redding are pretty pricey and you will not get much for $400k.

Both Fairfield and Trumbull have excellent schools and have a lot of great family activiites. You can not go wrong with either town. Note though that Trumbull is inland and does not have any public beaches. Trumbull residents though can use beaches in Fairfield for a slightly higher fee than Fairfield residents but it is a drive to get there. Also Trumbull does not have a commuter train like Fairfield, so you would have to go to Bridgeport if you wanted to commute by rail. Hope this helps. Jay

Old 07-25-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks for your reply JayCT. The job will be in Wilton. So we don't need to commute by rail. We live pretty remote right now (closest grocery store is 8 miles). It doesn't have to be a big town, remote is fine, but I like to have a grocery store a little closer than we have right now. We don't need to be close to the beach.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM

Oh, and how about Norwalk and Stamford. I know people who live in here, but they have little kids. Do you have info on schooldistrict/neighborhoods?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:26 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,293,587 times
Norwalk's middle and high schools are not among the best in the state, they rank rather low. Stamford's middle and high schools have some issues, too. Both Norwalk and Stamford are cities, larger than the other towns you are considering.

Here is a great site where you can compare schools from town to town:

Connecticut State Elementary Schools - CT School Rankings

Another town you might wish to consider is Monroe, which borders Trumbull. It is a great family-oriented town with excellent schools, parks, and recreational activities for children and families. The nice thing about Monroe is that most homes are on one acre or more lots, so you don't see the densely developed neighborhoods that are in many parts of Trumbull.

But be aware that in your price range of 400k you will be looking at older homes in need of updating, in any of the potential towns you have listed so far. And the closer you go to NYC, the higher the price range.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Thank you for the link. I will check it out later. Haven't heard about Monroe yet, but I'll check out this town too.

Does anybody know anything about mortgages? Do you need 20% down or are there any other possibilities?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:48 PM

Oh yes, another town you should consider is Bethel. It has good schools, it's a nice town, and you could find something in your price range. The commute wouldn't be too bad, either.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:59 PM

184 posts, read 746,776 times
There are some very nice areas in Danbury you could look into, but (just read other post) oooh, definitely check out Bethel. It has a lovely, walkable downtown area, and houses in your range, and access to back roads that will take you through Redding and into Wilton without hassling much with Route 7.

Fairfield will be tough for under $400K but not impossible. I'm seeing some amazing deals right now. With Trumbull and Monroe, the Merritt parkway becomes the most viable commuting route, and it can be very congested.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSam View Post
With Trumbull and Monroe, the Merritt parkway becomes the most viable commuting route, and it can be very congested.
Most people who live in Monroe and commute to lower Fairfield County during rush hour take the back roads instead of the Merritt Parkway. I imagine many who live in Trumbull do as well. But I agree, I think Bethel could be an easier commute, depending on where in Wilton the OP is working.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:40 PM

15,744 posts, read 22,030,672 times
I think your best bet is Monroe or Bethel. In the towns you're considering, you will not get much for your money - probably a small condo in Ridgefield and a starter home in Fairfield. Monroe and Bethel have great schools, and both towns have convenient grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or