U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 PM

420 posts, read 1,087,691 times

Advertisements

Route 11 has been in the news quite a bit lately. So i felt this thread would be interesting to see what every other Connecticuter is feeling in regards to the plans for the long-debated extension. (For anyone that doesn't know, Route 11 is a highway that was supposed to connect Route 2 in Colchester to I-395/I-95 in Waterford, but stopped short at Route 82 in Salem due to a lack of funding about thirty years ago).

Many debate the necessity of the highway, in the age of transportation when mass-transit options are more likely to be considered. However, many in Southeastern Connecticut argue that the highway is vital to the regions future. A huge influx in traffic to the region has brought the highway to the forefront. Southeastern Connecticut is now the most visited tourist destination in the state (Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun, Mystic), and traffic has increased rapidly.

Here are some recent news articles:

Route 11 Plan Gets A $5 Million Push -- Courant.com

Our View: Any news on Route 11 is good news - Norwich, CT - Norwich Bulletin

Route 11 Expressway Extension

So what does everyone think? A necessity? Or a simple convenience project?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 PM

4,459 posts, read 7,047,741 times
I feel the route 11 freeway should be finished to connect Greater Hartford east of the river via route 2 to I 95 to complete the limited access accessibility in this part of the state.

Growth in south eastern CT has been at a sustainable pace- completion of the road will ease some of the traffic problems- but not cause out of control growth and sprawl.

The completion of a limited access Freeway from Hartford (I 384) to Providence also should be completed. 2 lanes in each direction-

Old 07-28-2008, 02:54 PM

639 posts, read 2,549,739 times
I think Route I-384 should be completed to Windham before Rt. 11. The Windham region has been in need of a true link to Hartford for over 30 years, its about time that is finished. Rt. 6 is no more safe than it was before the improvements, if anything people drive faster now.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:45 PM

I also think the completion of I-384 has been overlooked. Route 6 is not a fun road to drive.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 PM

21 posts, read 81,295 times
My vote: FINISH ROUTE 11 ASAP.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:03 AM

30,759 posts, read 48,323,589 times
I agree that it would be great to finish Route 11 to I-95 in order to connect Hartford to the shore and complete the state's expressway system but the road is going to be awefully expensive and will serve only a limited number of vehicles. It is hard to justify the costs when you think of the many other projects, roadway and mass-transit, that are needed. So basically, I am torn.

As for Route 6, I agree it should be completed, but the problem is you have the Army Corp's not agreeing with the route the new expressway should take and the town's not wanting the route that the Army Corps wants. Why an agency that basically rapes the environment elsewhere in the country is so concerned about this section of eastern Connecticut is beyond me. They really should realize that the locals know their area better than they do.

You will not see I-384 ever extended to Providence though. Rhode Island made that decision a long time ago to halt that highway (it was suppose to be I-84). The highway passes through the watershed for the Providence reservoirs and RI is concerned about maintaining the quality of the watershed. Jay

Old 08-01-2008, 01:43 AM

I cannot agree more with you Jay. However, I'm a little confused to as while a 7-mile stretch of road will cost upwards of $1.2 billion dollars to complete! Does anybody know why the cost is so great? It just doesn't make any sense...

Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 AM

30,759 posts, read 48,323,589 times
There is a major interchange with I-95 and I-395 which is the bulk of that cost. Also the project will buy a lot of land, not just the strip needed for the highway. Jay

Old 08-01-2008, 03:20 PM

639 posts, read 2,549,739 times
Road construction is not cheap. Without the interchange it would still be millions of dollars.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:41 PM

120 posts, read 455,966 times
Route 11 is of no value right now unless you live in Salem. So I don't think it's a bad idea to extend it. It would mean a much more direct route from Hartford to Southeast Connecticut...right now, one has to deal with Route 2, and 395, which make two legs of a right triangle. Route 11 would make a nice hypotenuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut