Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:58 AM

37 posts, read 125,861 times

Advertisements

LOL, JVIELLO. well said.
I don't know what is going on with some peoples obsessions.

Skin resting on the sides of the tub?????? CTHere Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,732,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
Most of the buyers I've worked with that have seen houses that have hot tubs have this same reaction. If there is any interest in the house, it's usually "get that thing out of here!"
Mine, too. It's totally unsolicited on my part as we're not supposed to offer any opinion.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:10 AM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpetey01 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of a hot tub? I bought a house two years ago with a Caldera Spa and I don't use it. I've put it on Craig's list and advertised in the classified and called local dealers with no luck. It's in amazing condition but no one has even looked at it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I live in CT.
Have you offered to give it away? If you really want it removed, offer it for free. Jay

Old 04-02-2009, 09:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,845,295 times
Ewww, I wouldn't want to go in a used hot tub, no matter how "clean" it is. I can just imagine what the previous owners did in it. It would have to go. When we bought our house, we made the previous owners take away their above-ground pool, what a mess it left behind. I'd be afraid there would be marks/damage after a hot tub was removed, too. I agree with Jay, if the OP really wants to get rid of their hot tub, they should give it away. In addition to Craigslist, many newspapers will print listings for free items.

As for hotels and public pools, I am not really a fan of them, either. It is just a necessary evil. At least it is only temporary and I don't own them, though.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 AM

22 posts, read 83,577 times
It depends on how the hot tub was maintained. I have a tub and an above ground pool and I maintain mine thoroughly. The chemical balance is very important to keep it running efficiently, to keep the motor from burning out, and to keep the water healthy. However, I've seen how some people keep their tubs maintained and it can get pretty nasty if unkept. There are flushing products that can be used to clen out the pvc pipes plus you can sanatize the shell by wiping it down and rinsing. I do this a couple times a year anyway. If the new owner wishes to consider keeping the tub, these steps should be taken and then following the advice of filling with fresh water and bring a sample to a spa retailer who sells spa chemicals.

The water should be changed 4 times a year depending on useage and how clean the user is. Soaking filters in a soultion after every water change is essential as is filter rinsing when needed in between. I order my chemicals from spadepot online. A couple of tablespoons of di-chlor after each use and a couple tablespoons of shock every week or two is what I use ongoing. If the tub is maintained properly, it can last indefintely and provide a great way to relax and recover from stress.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Our opinion is that hot tubs are gross. We wouldn't want one and would have it removed. Lord only knows what the previous owners used it for. Yuck!
I agree. They're nasty. I'd say get rid of it.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:19 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,208,955 times
Ewwwww...I didn't even think of grossness. My hot tub was foreclosed and abandoned for some time. I was just going to go out and bail the 4 inches of swampwater-now I'm grossed out!

I went to a pool place this morning and the guy showed me a start up kit of chemicals, but said don't buy it till I fill it and see if it holds water and runs. He didn't mention special stuff to clean the pipes...the kit uses salts or something so you don't use much chlorine?

JViello, this stuff IS like rocket science LOL. Sun's coming out so I'm off to clean it and put the water in.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,208,955 times
Well...it holds water but isn't running or heating or anything. Nothing. Now what. Yeah, this thing is a liability! Grrrrr.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM

37 posts, read 125,861 times
Are you sure the electricity what is hooked up is on??? Check the inside breaker and also the outside breaker at the outside of the house.

If it then is still not running you can ask somebody from a spa place come to check it out, or search on the internet waht could be wrong.

But check first the electricity.
Alos heating up a Spa for the first time with fresh water takes up several hours.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:11 PM

83,331 posts, read 74,672,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH65 View Post
LOL, JVIELLO. well said.
I don't know what is going on with some peoples obsessions.

Skin resting on the sides of the tub?????? CTHere Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not to mention the crudy feet and snots stuck to the inner wall.

Yes, I'm one of those who uses sanitary wipes on shopping carts. Ugh. And people wonder why they are sick. Stop complaining about being sick! Change your habits. LOL Ok, I'm off topic now.

I actually feel bad for the author of this topic. She wanted a realtor to reply and here we all are giving our opinions. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut