Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 AM

235 posts, read 783,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The House form and culture of the 6 New England states remains distinctive to this day- and it is what truly makes us unique and separates us from NY and the rest of the country.

Thankfully our leaders have maintained this idea- and have not allowed the region to become a hodgepodge of leap frogging urban sprawl, or allowed zoning patterns that have changed the unique settlement design that dates make from the early 17th century.

New England has maintained its architectural uniqueness, the design of its cities and towns, and its restrictive zoning to preserve its historical heritage. This tradition has not 'faded' in the late 20th and early 21st centuries- but fortunately has been even further enhanced, protected by intelligent leaders working together with land use planners that prohibits bad zoning and limiting the development and construction of undesirable 'house forms'-both residential and commercial that does not blend into the regional character. Many realize that one of the Main draws to New England is its 'New England Character'- which many people vacation here for or decide to take up permanent residency to live the special 'New England way of life'.
To underscore this... here's an excellent article from the NYT, on New England's "Yankee" charm...
134 Miles of Yankee Charm - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:41 PM

41 posts, read 124,706 times
As the original poster, let me say Wow. This went off in many different directions. I wish someone who currently lives there would offer some feedback.

I spoke with a professional who contrasted Middletown and Glastonbury (she lived in both). Her take was the poplulation of the former is more grounded while the residents of the later are more concerned with "keeping up with the Jones'." This is what prompted me to ask about W.H.

Thank all who posted for the feedback.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:06 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2ct View Post
I spoke with a professional who contrasted Middletown and Glastonbury (she lived in both). Her take was the poplulation of the former is more grounded while the residents of the later are more concerned with "keeping up with the Jones'." This is what prompted me to ask about W.H.

Thank all who posted for the feedback.
I can speak as someone who has lived in both of these towns and we have found this is true with a few here in Glastonbury but not all. for a while we had trouble finding people we liked but then found a number of nice families. I will say it helps that we live in the more modest part of town and our kids are exposed to some diversity and different economic groups. I believe that West Hartford is more diverse than Glastonbury so I would think you will find people you like there. Jay

Old 08-04-2008, 01:11 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
I don't live in WH, but i have lots of friends who do as do my parents etc so I know alot of people there and spend plenty of time there. While there are things I don't like about WH, I think its one of the few upscale areas in hartford county that offers diversity in its people, stores, and housing types. You can literally own a mansion in WH or own a 1000 square foot ranch home from the 50's making the town affordable for a wide range of people. Because WH was alreadly mostly built up when the McMansion craze hit in the early 90's you won't see a ton of these developments in town like you see in glastonbury, avon or farmington (and others) so the stuck upityness that you see in other towns won't be as prevelant here. I would classify a lot of WH as "old money" with the "nouveau riche" having made in roads in recent years. IMHO - a lot of the snobbiness comes from the newly rich and people who have lived in WH for several generations tend to be more reserved. I think you will be fine living there and wouldn't worry too much about the snobbiness aspect. Its really what you make of it and who you chose to socialize and become friends with.

Its funny that so many on these forums say "oh i could never live in that snobby town again", yet when someone comes asking for recommendations those are the towns that we mention first. Yeah, i know they tend to have the "better" schools, but IMHO they often come with their own set of problems...and i digress....

Old 08-04-2008, 01:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
As a non-uppity, non-obnoxious Jewish couple, welcome to West Hartford if you choose to live here.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
As a non-uppity, non-obnoxious Jewish couple, welcome to West Hartford if you choose to live here.

Thanks for your post

Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Thanks for your post
Our pleasure, Sky. Really.

My husband (J) is from South Florida. I (D) am from Montreal. Being new to CT ourselves, we know how hard it is to make new friends, especially in a state where people are known to be somewhat reserved.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:01 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
DandJ

I guess they can be standoffish here- I am friendlier then the natives- I however am not from New England but have lived here most of my life- there are nice people here- and like anywhere those who are out to prove something, while others can be honest and real.

There can be people here with a sense of entitlement, who may be trust funded and take what they have for granted, and look down their noses at others- I had a former friend from this kind of background who I decided to cut ties with for his obnoxious behavior toward me, and I knew him for 10 years.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Exactly, Sky.

There are nice people and not-so-nice people... in every town.

There are snobby people and down-to-earth people... in every town.

It's just a matter of finding the nice, down-to-earth people (those who you want to be your friends) in the town that you happen to live in.

We found some of those, and for that I'm grateful.

Strangers are a little surprised when I randomly start a conversation with them (being from a big city -- Montreal -- I'm used to talking to EVERYONE), but as soon as they recover from their shock, they're receptive.

It's all good.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:31 PM

170 posts, read 648,662 times
I have a friend that lives in West Hartford (her family is Jewish), and she grew up in WH. She and her sister have a good head on their shoulders so honestly I think it's what you make of it and what you teach your kids. Being closeby to Hartford and Bloomfield, your kids will definitely be in a more diverse area so I don't see a problem with what you are concerned with.

And..I can't believe I'm about to say this, I actually agree with Sky's post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut