Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 AM

3,027 posts, read 7,885,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
I can tell you here in Vernon (north central eastern CT) I pay 2672.00 per year for a 1991 built 1100 square foot townhouse. Taxes have increased for these reasons; At the last assessment in 2001 - the market value of this townhouse was about 98K- from 2001-2006- the date of the last reevaluation the value of the unit climbed from 98K to 175K.

Actually taxes declined from 2001-2005 from $2100 a year to under $1900- in all fairness the increased value of the real estate- should see my taxes increase. Considering the value is over 80% higher, and my taxes are only 25% higher- I should not complain too loudly. I am still ahead economically.
I guess my question is why the difference in taxes on 702 sq ft finished area 1060 assessed at $173,000 taxes $3680 on 1981 home which we purchased as foreclosure which will be appealed.This home never had a value of $135000 in Rockville section and area has comps of $120000-$140000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:00 AM

588 posts, read 1,864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
And it's one of the reasons I can seem to find no alternative but to start looking to get out of this state in 5 years max. It kills me. I fought hard to get back here from NC when I was younger and more ignorant to what mattered to me in "life".

Now that I'm married, have children etc things have changed.

More than 25% of my mortage on a modest home with modest vehicles going to taxation is simply ludicrous. Add in all the other taxation and "fee" driven government, the insane insurance rates compared to other places nationally and/or New England and over all cost of living...it's just not very friendly to a family who may wish to have a stay at home mom and not work 75 hours a week myself to make up the difference. (I'm pretty close to that now.)

Seems if you don't have a money windfall of some sort, (enheritance or "old money") you need about 130K per year household to live in a decent area, with a decent school system with "lower" crime in a decent home (Talking 1500-2000sf regular house here...not a McMansion) and not be counting pennies at the end of the month. To make that kind of coin just isn't in my interest and/or reality. I'd like to see my children more than Saturday's and/or not have them raised by someone else. I see too many guys in this state working two and three jobs and small business owners killing themselves 6-7 days a week. No thanks.

My kids will never remember how much I made, but they will never forget who I was. Rich or poor.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I ran budget after budget to try to get that # down, but with the cost of housing and everything else, even paring ourselves to a "fun" budget of next to nothing, we came up with almost that same # (we found $135k salary). Just under 25% of what we pay to the bank each month is for taxes...outrageous! We were lucky enough to save a ton of $$ before buying a home and put 20% down, and got ours at a pretty decent price considering we bought in early 2007, but even with all that taxes are killing us. Why Fairfield feels the need to have a borderline SWAT team and police helicoptor(s) for ocean rescue are beyond me. Why they aren't cutting costs by sharing resources with neighboring towns is also baffling. Cutting the county into sections and forcing shared services would be so much more cost-effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut