Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeYanxfan View Post
It's not that they do not have accents, it's that they are more along the lines of Standard American. There are some people with varying degrees of New England (MA/RI) accents in the far eastern parts of the state, as well as many with varying degrees of a New York accent to the west. I, for one, occasionally pronounce words like orange and forest, ahrange and fahrest. I also pronounce cot and caught, more like caht and cawt. In CT, you will find all different types of accents.
To friends in the far west -they say I have a 'New England accent' well for example I will say 'Yesterday afternoon' as 'yestaday aftanoon'

I was in Providence once- and lost, I asked the Gas station attendant how to get back to Hartford- he asked hi co worker- hey Mikey how to you get back to Haatfid-----ok they talk funny in Providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Skytrekker. That accent may have its origins in a particular region of England. I've heard English guests on radio and TV talk shows whose speech very closely resembles that accent.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM

94 posts, read 162,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
To friends in the far west -they say I have a 'New England accent' well for example I will say 'Yesterday afternoon' as 'yestaday aftanoon'

I was in Providence once- and lost, I asked the Gas station attendant how to get back to Hartford- he asked hi co worker- hey Mikey how to you get back to Haatfid-----ok they talk funny in Providence.
New Yorkers often do that too. It's not as pronounced as in Boston, but they do often drop the r's. Aftanoon is something you could def. hear in NY.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Thanks for the responses! Amy, Stratford is right, posting links to your own realtor websites isn't allowed so I have to delete them... AFTER I bookmark them of course.

Once again, thanks!
No, that "Stratford" poster was not correct. It was an imposter who somehow registered under my username.

Amy strikes me as being a conscientious broker. I don't believe she was seeking free advertising.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:18 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Originally Posted by A Troll
The reason prices have dropped in Hartford is exactly what Fresh was trying to point out.Crime rates are up.Taxes are sky high and the school systems are pathetic.Any realtor who tries to sell you property in Hartford isn't worth too much.

Quote:
I think your analysis is totally wrong- crime rates are below the national average outside of Hartford proper- schools are rated highly- top 10 nationally outside of Hartford- and while property taxes are high- as they are throughout all of New England the northeast- some towns are not that bad.

The reason prices are down- is that CT and the entire northeast, Florida, Arizona, California, Nevada and now the Pacific NW are seeing a housing bust.

Have read the news lately about banks failing- and a credit crunch? I guess not.
Damn, this troll sure must have been bored!

Old 08-08-2008, 03:31 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
From all of the helpful responses on this thread I can tell that a move to Connecticut would work out very well.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:08 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
From all of the helpful responses on this thread I can tell that a move to Connecticut would work out very well.
Make sure you get ready for the taxes!

Just saying...

Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Make sure you get ready for the taxes!

Just saying...

Which taxes Viello? The state tax? Texas has no state tax but the property taxes here make up for that, IMO.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:35 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
I know that property taxes in Texas are very high Synopsis.

We have about a 5% state income tax here- the sales tax is 6%- excluding groceries and prescriptions.
There are no or county taxes- the taxes you pay for your home and auto go directly to the town you reside.

I pay $2672 a year for my property taxes- for a 1992 built 1100 square foot townhouse in Vernon. Autos are taxed here- I pay $142 a year for a 2002 Mazda- to the town of Vernon.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I know that property taxes in Texas are very high Synopsis.

We have about a 5% state income tax here- the sales tax is 6%- excluding groceries and prescriptions.

I pay $2672 a year for my property taxes- for a 1992 built 1100 square foot townhouse in Vernon. Autos are taxed here- I pay $142 a year for a 2002 Mazda- to the town of Vernon.

Hope this helps.

It helps a great deal skytrekker, thanks. If you don't mind me asking, what is your home valued at? Our house is an average middle class home in the suburbs of Fort Worth and is valued at 147K (2000 square foot) and our property taxes are about 4K per year.

I've never heard of cars being taxed. Is it considered a luxury tax or something?

I have a 2003 tacoma and my wife has a 2000 Saturn; I wonder how much they would tax those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut