U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:20 PM

9 posts, read 55,427 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Connecticut. We are still quite open on where to live.

We understand there are many good public and private schools. May I know which is the best public and private elementary school in Connecticut?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 AM

2,549 posts, read 5,281,968 times
There are many good public and private schools in CT. You would have to narrow down what area you are looking in, as they are all quite different. Are you looking to live in Fairfield County, the shoreline, around Hartford, the northeast "Quiet Corner," the Litchfield Hills...all are very different but there are great schools to be found in all areas.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:38 AM

thanks Mel. let's narrow down to fairfield county. Which schools would you think best?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:46 AM

Fairfield County has plenty of towns with good schools. Westport, Darien, New Canaan, Greenwich, Redding, Wilton...that is just off the top of my head. You will find more often than not that good public schools will prevail in Fairfield County. If you were looking to move there I would first find the towns you are interested in then look at those schools in comparison to one another. If it is the suburbs, chances are the school system will be excellent. The only places that likely won't be on par are the more urban areas, Bridgeport, Stamford, Norwalk...not that all schools in those cities are bad, but you would have to examine what school district you are in more carefully. Same goes for Stratford, their school system isn't on par with the rest of the suburbs even though it is a suburb and not a city. In Stratford the Bunnell school district is the one you would want to be in.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 AM

Thanks Mels. Ok, let's try this first. It's likely we will be working in NYC so let's try the closest town - Greenwich. Let's take away the high cost of living for a moment. Would you think this town has good public/private school?

The other thing is, we really don't mind the location as Connecticut, after all, is not a big state. We will live wherever that has the best school for our kids.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:07 PM

84 posts, read 428,568 times
Courtbas,
We are in a similiar situation as yours...relocating to Conn., hubbie working in NYC. I've done alot of research and here's what I've found...almost all the schools are excellant in Fairfield County. You pretty much can't go wrong....however, I'd suggest two things. Go to yahoo, put in Connecticut magazine and towns and reviews.....they review the towns and rate them on a variety of things, including schools. This will give you a great overview....then some of the real estate agencies online have info on the schools, including stats. I've found these very helpful.....Fairfield rates high among cities its size, as does Wilton, Westport, Redding, Easton, and Ridgefield.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 PM

203 posts, read 554,862 times
If money wasn't the issue, I would choose Ridgefield. Ridgefield has outstanding schools and has a couple of Metro North stations to commute to NYC. The town is highly rated for many reasons, schools being one of them. Their main street is a true New England treat.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:14 PM

150 posts, read 576,716 times
If money were not an issue (hah!) I would choose Greenwich. Excellent, excellent schools, a public library to die for and nice beaches. The train schedules into NYC are abundant and it has the shortest ride 'in' of all the towns.

A close second would be Wilton (we lived there for seven years and liked it very much). New Canaan and Darien have great schools but maybe the kids are a little too rich. Greenwich has that issue but there are enough 'normal' people there to offset that overall vibe.

Enjoy.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtbas View Post
The other thing is, we really don't mind the location as Connecticut, after all, is not a big state. We will live wherever that has the best school for our kids.
Keep in mind Ffld. County has the most congested stretch of highway (I-95 from Bridgeport to the NY state line, the Merritt Pkwy. isn't exactly a picnic either) in the state. I assume you would be taking Metro-North into Grand Central. With that in mind, I always found it easiest by doing the Stamford to Grand Central leg because they run the most express trains on the New Haven line. If you leave out of Stamford, I would pick towns within an easy commute to there, like Darien and Greenwich (Greenwich runs a few express trains, not as many as Stamford).

Ridgefield is a great choice, nice town with solid schools. The train is a good bet to get into the city for anywhere in the area. It all depends what kind of commute you want to look at. Many people are fine doing an hour on the train plus commute time when you get to the city (depending where your office is located), others want to keep the door to door time to under an hour. If I were you I would look at the Metro North train schedule and see what kind of commute you would ideally like to have, like less than an hour or less than 90 minutes. From there I would work out what towns will fall into that timeline.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 AM

I've zero in Greenwich for a moment. What do you think of International school at Dundee? The school is offering the Primary years IB program.

How does it compare with Julian Curtiss and Hamilton Avenue? And also how does it compare with the private schools such as Greenwich Academy, Whitby School, Greenwich Country Day school?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut