Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 PM

10 posts, read 91,747 times

Advertisements

need some insight ..considering moving, but know little about the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 10:55 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,150,782 times
Probably the most important thing to learn is that Connecticut is a state, not a city.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 AM

527 posts, read 1,277,417 times
Haha, lol.

Well, the cons are just the prices of taxes and homes. A few people complain of bad drivers, and there are quite a few of them, depending on where you go.

And the pros? Well, you're close to both NYC and Boston, so the job opportunities are really good.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,384,365 times
PROS
beautiful state
LOVE the fall colors of leaves
Nice people .... in my experience
Located near NY, Boston, Cape Cod and Newport, RI (all pluses)
Can travel anywhere within the state within a few hours (unlike many states)
Driving distance to the ocean

CONS
Car Tax
High Property Taxes
Cost of housing/living
Traffic on 95!!!!
COLD snowy winters! (negative for me)
Hot humid summers (for the most part) .... I'm more partial to a tropical climate!!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 AM

34,633 posts, read 56,360,262 times
To add to the pros - the public schools here are excellent. They are considered to be among the best in the country. Also the economy is pretty stable with few boom and bust cycles that are a problem in other parts of the country. The state is very affluent which is good and bad. It is good because there are a lot of people with money even outside of Fairfield County (which is one of the wealthiest in the country). This is bad because there is a bit of a feeling of entitlement among residents. Also, people in Connecticut are a bit reserved. This is good because we tend to mind our own business and not interfere with others, but this also makes it hard to meet people when you move here. Compared to other coastal states, home prices are not too bad for the location. You will pay a LOT more to live in affluent Fairfield County near New York City, but outside of that, the state is pretty affordable given the location. Weather wise, Connecticut is protected from storms that form on the open ocean by Long Island. Rarely do we get really bad storms that do significant damage.

There are so many good points to Connecticut overall that I think it is an excellent place to live. Jay

Old 08-12-2008, 08:48 AM

202 posts, read 702,358 times
Pros: progressive thinking, health-conscious (percentage of smokers is low) people, located near NY, MA and NJ, beautiful autumn colors, generally nice place to live, no real worries about tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires (and the occasional blizzard and hurricane are manageable).

Cons: too expensive, winters too cold (but since that is subjective, it might not be a con for you)

Last edited by Aibutiej; 08-12-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,794,503 times
Cons: too many liberals, too many taxes, too many corrupt politicians

Pros: many correct thinking conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibutiej View Post
Pros: progressive thinking, health-conscious (percentage of smokers is low) people, located near NY, MA and NJ, beautiful autumn colors, generally nice place to live, no real worries about tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires (and the occasional blizzard and hurricane are manageable).

Cons: too expensive, winters too cold (but since that is subjective, it might not be a con for you)

Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 AM

722 posts, read 1,104,050 times
Cold winters won't bother me. 60 below with wind chill factor where I grew up Can you beat that?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 AM

9,861 posts, read 14,183,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
PROS

CONS
Car Tax
High Property Taxes
Cost of housing/living
Traffic on 95!!!!
COLD snowy winters! (negative for me)
Hot humid summers (for the most part) .... I'm more partial to a tropical climate!!

I agree with all of your "cons" except the COLD, snowy winter thing. I guess it's subjective and what you are used to--but I think the winters I've spent in CT (Stamford) have not been bad at all. It snows what, 4 or 5 times a season, maybe a few more but there hasn't been a full cover of snow for winter on the ground at all (which I did expect).
I suppose northern CT's are more brutal, but these winters are not bad at all, really, for what I was expecting.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:19 AM

27 posts, read 170,984 times
I am new to the state so feel free to voice your disagreements.

Pros for CT are an unmatched quality of life. I will say it's probably the best state to live in the country. I find the schools to be better, traffic moves unlike in California and the mass transportation is great if you live along one of the commuter lines. Being between Boston and NYC makes CT even better. (Do people from CT commute up to Boston on a daily basis? I have been wondering.)

Cons are cost of living (taxes...car tax?!?), beaches could be better even in Saybrook, and the gap btwn wealth and poverty is sad here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut