Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which does FF County feel like more?
New York City 22 56.41%
New England 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
If anyone here ever gets the chance to live in a place like Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont you will know what real New England is. It goes way beyond landscape.
Hi 68vette,

After seeing your name, I figured that I had to add to this. I was the editor for a local (Northeastern U.S.) car club newsletter for about 4 years. From time to time, we would gather at different members' houses with our cars. I can totally agree with you regarding New England. Driving up to Manchester, Vermont, and stopping at the Hemming's Service Station in Bennington is totally different from anything one can ever experience in Connecticut.

One member, formerly from Bethel, Conn., retired to Littleton, New Hampshire. He describes the laid-back atmosphere there versus the fast pace here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Hi 68vette,

After seeing your name, I figured that I had to add to this. I was the editor for a local (Northeastern U.S.) car club newsletter for about 4 years. From time to time, we would gather at different members' houses with our cars. I can totally agree with you regarding New England. Driving up to Manchester, Vermont, and stopping at the Hemming's Service Station in Bennington is totally different from anything one can ever experience in Connecticut.

One member, formerly from Bethel, Conn., retired to Littleton, New Hampshire. He describes the laid-back atmosphere there versus the fast pace here.
I agree, In an odd way it's almost like stepping back in time to the fifties or sixties. Don't get me wrong we have places that are not typical Vermont places like Burlington, but there is nothing wrong with that. I feel the same way about Fairfield County. Some things I don't miss like the rat race, but there are many, many things I look forward to when I visit family.
My 68 vette is my testosterone release.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I can totally agree with you regarding New England. Driving up to Manchester, Vermont, and stopping at the Hemming's Service Station in Bennington is totally different from anything one can ever experience in Connecticut.
I agree. Parts of northern Fairfield County look like New England, but the experience of being there is very different.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:40 PM

578 posts, read 2,097,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh3d View Post
Northern FFC is more like Connecticut/New England. Southern FFC has more NYC influence.
BUT does northern FFC have more influence from Boston in terms of sports...or do they still look and go for NY teams?
I find it HARD to believe that northern FFC RIGHT ON THE NY state line has many Red Sox fans.

I really HATE how the Red Sox and their fans want to claim CT as their own.
Even then NY is 10 times bigger, better, and nearer.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:14 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
As far as sports, I would say there is an imaginary line somewhere in the middle of the state. There will be a scattering of fans on each side, but the closer you get to each city the more fans there are.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 AM

59 posts, read 195,292 times
I think New Haven is the dividng line between Boston and NY fans! Everything south is NY and everything north is Boston!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:28 PM

94 posts, read 161,998 times
Hartford is much closer to being the dividing line than NH. New Haven is clearly inside the "NY sports arena", so to speak.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:37 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
FF is a yuppy/gentry enclave-just like any such place from coast to coast.
All these places and people in them made from the same cookie cutter.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:46 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
FF is a yuppy/gentry enclave-just like any such place from coast to coast.
All these places and people in them made from the same cookie cutter.
I disagree. FFC is not cookie-cutter in any way and the county is pretty diverse. You can't compare it to the cookie-cutter "wanna act rich" suburbanites in areas like Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix and California. The wealthy in FFC is largely old money (just like much of CT), down to earth, and less new money massive housing developments where everyone drives a brand new SUV just to one up the neighbors.

I have lived in southern FFC for most of my life and not once have I felt the pressure to keep up with the Joneses.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:25 PM

578 posts, read 2,097,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1lt View Post
I think New Haven is the dividng line between Boston and NY fans! Everything south is NY and everything north is Boston!
Makes ZERO sense since North Haven/Hamden are closer to NY and NY metro than Boston.
Why would they go for the further, smaller market?

Also...you never mentioned East/West divide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut