Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 PM

24 posts, read 228,892 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Bridgeport, New Haven or Hartford From Yonkers NY. I was wondering how the crime level compares to a city like Yonkers or Mount Vernon and also how it compares to other cities in the northeast around the same size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 02:40 PM

34,921 posts, read 56,918,061 times
These are the three largest cities in the state, all of which have typical issues found in major urban areas throughout the country. The crime rate in these cities is a lot higher than the surrounding suburbs but are comparable to what you would find in other major cities. The best thing to do is be aware of where you are moving and be sure it is a safe section of that city. Jay

Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork2050 View Post
I am thinking about moving to Bridgeport, New Haven or Hartford From Yonkers NY. I was wondering how the crime level compares to a city like Yonkers or Mount Vernon and also how it compares to other cities in the northeast around the same size.
Well, out of the 3 you mentioned, I personally just feel safer in New Haven. There are tons of things to do in New Haven and it is much livelier than either Hartford or Bridgeport. Bridgeport on the whole is a city that had its heyday back in the 40s and 50s...unfortunately the resurgence hasn't been successful over the years and it is still waiting and waiting.
As for Hartford, the suburbs are amazingly nice. The city itself is very much "dead" and has some dangerous areas. There is little-to-no nightlife and the city has much work to do to make itself lively again.

Have you looked at Stamford? More expensive than the 3 cities mentioned, but in a different class really in terms of safety. It is one of the safest large cities in the US. It has a small town feeling with big city amenities. The proximity to NYC is excellent--44 mins by train.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:54 PM

639 posts, read 2,710,879 times
Little to no night life in Hartford? Sounds like you have never gone out in downtown during a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night.

There are plenty of clubs and bars to go on any given night.

How about some Jazz/blues at Black Eyed Sally's? Have you ever gone to City Steam for Comedy night?

Have you tried anyone of the numberous eating establishments downtown like Max, Trumbull Kitchen, or Mortons if you like chain steakhouses?

On top of that you have events at the Civic Center and the Bushnell, Wadsworth, and Hartford Stage for arts/entertainment.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 PM

24 posts, read 228,892 times
the reason i am asking is because i am from yonkers and we have some pretty bad parts around here and i checked the crime rate of new haven bridgeport and new haven and the crime rate is way worse than it is around here

Old 08-15-2008, 05:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
Quote:
the reason i am asking is because i am from yonkers and we have some pretty bad parts around here and i checked the crime rate of new haven bridgeport and new haven and the crime rate is way worse than it is around here
There are several alternatives to actually living in the cities you stated.

If you like New Haven you could live in West Haven or East Haven which are a stone's throw from downtown New Haven but are much safer.

If you like Hartford then you can live right over the line in Old Wethersfield or in West Hartford and still be close enough to get into downtown in less than 10 minutes. West Hartford has its own center which recreates the old downtown feel without the crime.

If you like Bridgeport than you can chose Milford, Stratford, Shelton or several other nearby communities that would get you into Bridgeport in short order.

All of these communities have dramatically lower crime rates as the central cities have considerably higher rates of poverty, racial and economic isolationism, and poor performing school systems.

If you look at some of the threads for Hartford in particular you can see that the city is battling a Wild West-style violent crime problem.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:02 AM

34,921 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:

You have to understand what the crime rate is and how it is calculated. It is the number of crimes verses the number of people living in that city. Connecticut cities are small in both population and area so the crime rate is higher per person because there are fewer people to "dilute" the rate. If you compare the metropolitain regions of these cities you would see that the area is a lot safer than most major metropolitan areas.

Also, I agree with UConn99 that things are not "dead" in downtown Hartford. There is a great nightlife there with many fine clubs, bars and restaurants. I agree that New Haven has more probably because of Yale but Hartford has a lot too. Jay

Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 AM

575 posts, read 3,131,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You have to understand what the crime rate is and how it is calculated. It is the number of crimes verses the number of people living in that city. Connecticut cities are small in both population and area so the crime rate is higher per person because there are fewer people to "dilute" the rate. If you compare the metropolitain regions of these cities you would see that the area is a lot safer than most major metropolitan areas.

That is not "diluting" the rate of crime by having a higher population. what it says is that you would be more likely to be involved in a crime, and because of the small land area crime won't be confined to one area, but rather most of the city. The poster didn't ask about metropolitan area or population, but rather the specific city they are looking to live in. I would say Hartford has a higher crime rate now due to gun violence than New Haven (but both cities are notorious for this) Bridgeport has been rather quiet lately but is very depressed compared to Hartford and New Haven.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:59 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Little to no night life in Hartford? Sounds like you have never gone out in downtown during a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night.

There are plenty of clubs and bars to go on any given night.

How about some Jazz/blues at Black Eyed Sally's? Have you ever gone to City Steam for Comedy night?

Have you tried anyone of the numberous eating establishments downtown like Max, Trumbull Kitchen, or Mortons if you like chain steakhouses?

On top of that you have events at the Civic Center and the Bushnell, Wadsworth, and Hartford Stage for arts/entertainment.
Well, you got me there. It sounds as if Hartford does have some decent places. I've been out once there and was let down--not much variety really for my taste.
Hartford has a bad image and most people don't look to Hartford for a ton of entertainment options. I think with work and gentrification, it can come back again stronger than ever. It should--it is our capital city.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:12 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,695 times
I'd have to say New Haven, to be honest. Hartford and Bridgeport have a load of crime for their populations. I think New Haven has a lot more to do. If you're into arts, theaters and such, you'll never be bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut