Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:35 PM

15 posts, read 33,619 times

Advertisements

Do you hear it in Westport, new Canaan , Wilton or pound ridge? I saw online that several towns are sueing the FAA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Don't know about Westport or Pound Ridge, but I've flown over New Canaan and Wilton on commercial flights landing at the Westchester Airport. So yes, I think they can hear it since the airplane flies rather low at that point.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,166,528 times
No planes take off over Wilton/New Canaan from the NY airports including Westerchester or Bradley. There are routes that drop altitude prior to landing, but that is much less of a disturbance. Take off is exponential louder than cruising at 35k or landing approach. There were lawsuits threatened but the routes never materialized as Westchester is strongly resistant to further airport growth.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
There is already a thread on this so I am merging the two threads together. JayCT, Moderator

Old 05-22-2012, 09:53 AM

The threads are about different parts of CT?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM

In march there was a meeting to vote on the problem in congress.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmallie View Post
the planes I am talking about aren't going into Bradley,I see them also but they follow river up to Windsor, The ones I usually see are pretty high up so I am thinking out of JFK,LaGuardia,or Newark, and either on there way to Boston or beyond,they are flying if my direction is right- North East,
thanks for all the info and , when I saw all those planes and counted them, it was I think weekend evenings when they were flying one right after the other..Next time that happens I will check time and date
Now I'm really confused. You can't hear the planes at that altitude, especially from inside your home, if you were bed ridden, how did you see them? x-ray vision? Was your bed in the back yard? Do you have your own radar tower? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, it just isn't making sense to me.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:08 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Can somebody explain about the Blackhawk helicopters that fly in groups of three over the shoreline / lower CT River Valley.

Is that Sikorsky testing their copters or the Air National Guard out of Niantic?

They come in right over the trees- you hear them coming but because of the terrain can't see them, then all of a sudden there's the group of them over your head.
Could be either. I get air traffic from the military out of Bradley all the time. Keep in mind, the state is pretty small to air traffic so they could be out of many places.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbsearching View Post
The threads are about different parts of CT?
The original thread was about airplane noise in Connecticut not just one particular area. It is against the rules to have multiple threads going discussing the same topic. JayCT, Moderator

Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 AM

425 posts, read 1,104,750 times
Default JViello

All I can say is at night ,I can see them one green light on one wing,one red light on the other, and yes I can hear them once they get over the house. they are pretty far up ,but I see the red and green lights, during the day if I am outside and there are ones flying into Bradley they are flying low enough so that I can tell what airline it is, I live about 1/4 mile off the river and they follow that up, it is farmland across the street so it is open land..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut