U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 AM

181 posts, read 12,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
kd

pay attention to economics - a recession may be looming
how will NC and CT fair in a recession?- look below the surface-
sky - pay attention to my life (as well as many others at this age) - I wait tables for a living - I rent and never plan to own or have kids - I've never had structure in my life - My parents are poor and uneducated alcoholic druggies - I have SAD to the fullest - I have no health insurance and the only friends I have are too conservative for me- I own nothing except a car, a computer, and a few disposable items - I dont invest my money besides savings b/c I dont care if I have money when I'm on my deathbed and wont retire until I know I'm close enough to dying - Depression has overtaken my entire being so who seriously has time or extra money for museums, special delis, arts, or anything BUT working 65 hours a week? - now explain to me how the economy and where I live matters to me or the hundreds of thousdands of people my age that are just as ****ed as I am? Not everything revolves around the middle aged mans needs. Plenty does, but at least I'm willing to admit that...are you willing to sway from your own thoughts? probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 11:31 AM

4,455 posts, read 2,159,841 times
Rich

I know what you said and what you implied- all Connecticut cities suffer from the same Geographic problem- a Metro area core-like Hartford- which has 'problems' and which has a small 'footprint' both area and population wise that is used as a 'barometer' of an entire region. I believe awhile back you asked the question about metro Hartford having 'what culture' and I had to inform those here that Metro Hartford ranks near the top in North America in culture- as a Realtor is being so uninformed cool?-

Old 03-07-2007, 11:34 AM

2,102 posts, read 5,008,817 times
Quote:
Rich

I know what you said and what you implied- all Connecticut cities suffer from the same Geographic problem- a Metro area core-like Hartford- which has 'problems' and which has a small 'footprint' both area and population wise that is used as a 'barometer' of an entire region. I believe awhile back you asked the question about metro Hartford having 'what culture' and I had to inform those here that Metro Hartford ranks near the top in North America in culture- as a Realtor is being so uninformed cool?-

Insults are such a bully tactic. Hartford doesn't have 1.3 million people. If you believe that, then I'll never be able to change your mind.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:35 AM

KD I truly feel for you.

As I said before- good luck- Health care is one of the most pressing issues of our society- on the positive side here in CT Health care reform is coming- and the Governor and legislature are looking to provide affordable health care based on income- which means you only pay what you can afford. I pay far too much myself- so I truly understand.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Rich

Metro Hartford has 1.3 million people- if you include the standardized metro area- which includes parts of Tolland, Middlesex and Litchfield counties-

I did not intend to bully you- just wanted to point out an assertion you made awhile back that there where 'no arts or culture' in metro Hartford.

I apologize if it came across as condescending.

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_o...opolitan_areas Hartford ranks 42nd with 1.3 million

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-07-2007 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 AM

2,102 posts, read 5,008,817 times
Quote:
Rich

Metro Hartford has 1.2 million people- if you include the standardized metro area- which includes parts of Tolland, Middlesex and Litchfield counties-

I did not intend to bully you- just wanted to point out an assertion you made awhile back that there where no arts or culture in metro Hartford.

I apologize if it came across as condescending.
You've mentioned my error so many times already. Apparently, not knowing the status of Hartford's cultural arts makes me "uniformed" by your standards. I hope that this has added to your day.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:44 AM

Rich

do check out the Wikipedia links- Metro Hartford does have 1.3 million

and please accept my faux paux- sorry I mentioned that again- people make mistakes- as I did.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,515 times
Exclamation Look

I obviously brushed a nerve with my last post. I'm not at all suggesting that Hartford is not an urban place or that it isn't a city. I do not dispute that there are 1.3 million people within the metropolitan Hartford area. My only claim is that as a young person it really doesn't offer as much as probably 4 or 5 dozen other cities I can think of off the top of my head. In fact, the only reason I even posted is because I now live in Seattle and even though I am a Connecticut native I actually felt it was a bit misleading to suggest Hartford has a more vibrant cultural scene than Seattle. Maybe the magazine you are reading ranks Hartford higher in terms of arts, but it is somewhat skewed. Keep in mind that according to a study at Central Connecticut State University we are the most literate city in the country, as well as the city with the highest percentage of college graduates. There are no nationally prominent universities in Hartford, unless we are considering everything within a two hour drive metropolitan Hartford, in which case that would give Hartford three Ivy League universities and prominent suburbs such as New York City, Providence and Boston!

Yes, I only lived in Connecticut until 2005 and it has been oh so long since I have last been here (a week and a half this past October) so I must really be out of touch!! I wouldn't even dispute that there aren't projects that have made a prominent impact on the city since even that recently. I lived a half hour outside of the city for four years. I have been in just about every 170 odd municpalities in the state and have traversed the entire area, from Stonington to North Canaan and Union to Greenwich. I've eaten hot dogs at Blackies on the Waterbury/Cheshire town line, ridden the wooden coaster at Lake Compounce, been in the whale in West Hartford and searched for the bleeding apples in Griswold. POINT IS, I know a thing or two about Connecticut. While Hartford may be just dandy for some people in here, I think with 100% certainty I am sure it wasn't for me. It's just not a terribly interesting or fun place in my opinion. Litchfield County is my favorite because it is among the least densely populated areas and nothing beats a drive over the Housatonic on the covered bridge or Memorial Day races at Lime Rock. Nuff Said!

Finally, how would you consider Springfield a suburb of Hartford when Springfield itself is actually a bigger city by nearly 30,000 people?

Last edited by b3nster; 03-08-2007 at 02:39 AM..

Old 03-08-2007, 04:19 AM

Actually Hartford and Springfield are called 'sister cities'- both however still considered 'two separate metro' areas. Both cities/metro areas are something known as the 'Learning corridor'- being near each other on the Connecticut river according to; geographers, urban planners etc. Springfield proper has more people then Hartford- but Hartford is far larger Metro population wise.

Also it was not a magazine that rated Hartford on the arts/culture- but the Book 'Places rated Almanac' which rates all other metro regions in the same way it ranks greater Hartford. For instance Bridgeport is rated highly because of its proximity to greater New York. While Santa Rosa California is rated high because of its 50 mile distance to San Francisco. The methodology of all 355 plus metro areas are the same used for judging Hartford, not different. A city like Olympia Washington- would benefit by the nearby assets of Seattle. Greater Providence is not a part of Greater Hartford- it is separated by the rural areas of eastern Connecticut- however Boston and Providence are very close, and the 'cross pollination' of the two cities and metro areas is very close- therefore Providence does benefit from the great cultural amenities of Boston. As far as saying that the information regarding Hartford culture scene is 'misleading' well the said book rated New York as number 1, and DC number two- would one consider those ratings as misleading or skewed? Hardly.
Those metro areas rated by the way; Best metro areas for the Arts
out of 355 in the US and Canada
1.NYC
2. Washington DC/MD/ VA
3.LA/Long Beach
4.Chicago
5.Toronto
6.Boston
7.Philly
8.Baltimore
9.Long Island NY
10. San Francisco
11.Cleveland/Lorain
12. Montreal
13.Minneapolis/St Paul
14.Newark
15. Oakland
16. Seattle-/Bellevue/ Everett
17. Detroit
18. St. Louis
19.Atlanta
20.San Jose
21. Hartford
22.Orange county CA

Obviously for Hartford to be rated with such larger metro areas must say something. Considering it is not that close to New York or Boston- Not so shabby really- and something to be proud of.

44. Stamford/Norwalk CT
52. New Haven
82. Bridgeport
83. Providence
93. Worcester
96. Springfield MA

Connecticut is a tiny state- New Haven and Hartford are a mere 35 miles apart- and yes Hartford can only benefit by having Yale so close- as does the reputation of most of the state. Geographers are 'objective' and use data and statistical information based on empirical information such as local demographics, transportation, urban settlement patterns, house form and culture etc. And the areas above like Orange county,Baltimore and Long Island also rate highly because of their 'geographic proximity' to a world class city. Hartford does not rely on another city for its reputation in the arts- it stands on its own- which is clearly states its high cultural standing.

As for education- Hartford ranks 60th out of those same 355 metro areas.

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-08-2007 at 05:29 AM..

Old 03-08-2007, 02:01 PM

639 posts, read 1,833,047 times
Default re

Hartford has 1.3 million people in the CSA metro area. Just go look at census.gov, you can't dispute hard facts.

Hartford ranks as the 25th largest media market.

Below are some numbers, take a look. Hartford-Springfield-New Haven should be one metro area. Why is Dallas-Ft.Worth one metro area? Springfield is closer to Hartford than Ft. Worth.

2,988,892- Hartford//New Haven/Springfield/New London

2,722,271- I-91 corridor

2,301,625- Hartford/New Haven/Norwich/New London

1,454,859- Hartford/Norwich/New London

Hartford-West Hartford-Willimantic CSA- 1,304,067
Hartford MSA- 1,188,241
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk MSA- 902,775
New Haven MSA- 846,766
Springfield MSA- 687,264
Norwich-New London MSA 266,618
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut