Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:47 AM

33 posts, read 159,882 times

Advertisements

Gay or straight it pretty much doesn't matter in Connecticut. The only thing you don't want to be in Connecticut is poor. For that the penalty is huge. This also applies in varying degrees to the other 49 also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 06:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarple View Post
Gay or straight it pretty much doesn't matter in Connecticut. The only thing you don't want to be in Connecticut is poor. For that the penalty is huge. This also applies in varying degrees to the other 49 also.
I would correct that to read working middle class instead of poor.

The poor have more social programs and "get started" programs and helps in CT than any other state while middle income families get taxed heavily with not a lot of relief and the rich trust fund baby crowd either don't care or find ways to get around it.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:20 PM

33 posts, read 159,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I would correct that to read working middle class instead of poor.

The poor have more social programs and "get started" programs and helps in CT than any other state while middle income families get taxed heavily with not a lot of relief and the rich trust fund baby crowd either don't care or find ways to get around it.
I agree with you J that the poor do have greater access to social programs than middle income families and there are those that earn too much for social programs but still find themselves struggling to make ends meet. However, if you look at who lives in the less than desireable neighborhoods it generally isn't middle income families. It's also difficult to determine just what is a middle income family. There are so many variables that just assigning a dollar amount per family is unrealistic. Oh well, nuff said, this is off the thread topic anyways.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 AM

7 posts, read 19,911 times
Default Unrecognized Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
As long as you stay in state. Unlike marriages, they're not recognized by other states.
I know this is off the original topic, but I was perusing and felt compelled to reply.

I did get "married" in Massachusetts, and the Federal Government and the State of Connecticut do not recognize my marriage. The only thing I can say is that the Feds did recognize my marriage certificate as a legitimate reason to change my name on my social security card. Other than that, no tax breaks, no other binding rights, simply the repeated statement "yeah...but it's not recognized here." I refuse to get a civil union because I hold my "marriage" in a special place, and since governor Rell decided to attach DOMA to the civil union bill, that ceremony would simply denounce my marriage. I would never do that. If CT passes the gay marriage law, they will likely accept my marriage, but CT marriage (if it is gay) will likely not be recognized in states other than Mass, for now.

One day...........

Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
My partner and I bought a house last year in Stamford. We live on a cul-de-sac and on a river. We are located 2 miles from the Metro North station and 2.5 miles from the Merritt Parkway. It is amazing. Our neighbors are absolutely the best. We had a housewarming party last summer and invited all neighbors within about 4 houses on each side of us, and most all came. We rarely hold hands outside and out and about town with each other, but if we wanted to, no one would really care. It's super accepting here. Check out Stamford--45 mins to Manhattan.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
You'd probably like the West End of Hartford. A lot of folks there are like yourselves. Many have restored the old Victorians to gorgeous conditions.
I mean, it's still Hartford...but it's actually kind of nice.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,999 times
Default Re: gay couple considering CT

From what I've experienced, New Haven is a very art-oriented town. You've got Yale University and the Shubert Theatre... There are a lot of great events downtown in the summer, music, art, parades, plays, and great food! I'm not sure what the houses/apartments are like though... If you're looking for an area that is more accepting of gay relationships than others, I'm not sure where in New Haven that would be, but from what I can tell, people, for the most part, seem to be rather accepting. Ofcourse, as with any place, you may run into the few who aren't as understanding, however, those people appear to be the minority. I have gay friends who like New Haven very much and haven't had any problems... I hope that helps.
Andy

Old 06-16-2007, 11:46 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
I would say New Haven and West Hartford would be good bets if you're looking for a large gay population and an artsy atmosphere. If you are looking to raise kids, however, New Haven public schools are pretty bottom-rung when it comes to CT. I'm not sure how West Hartford is. If you can afford it, Westport may be right up your alley-- it is very accepting, close to Manhattan, home to the county's only gay bar and seems more West Coast wealthy (bourgois bohemians) than East Coast wealthy (stodgy old dowagers).

Old 06-16-2007, 04:06 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I would say New Haven and West Hartford would be good bets if you're looking for a large gay population and an artsy atmosphere. If you are looking to raise kids, however, New Haven public schools are pretty bottom-rung when it comes to CT. I'm not sure how West Hartford is. If you can afford it, Westport may be right up your alley-- it is very accepting, close to Manhattan, home to the county's only gay bar and seems more West Coast wealthy (bourgois bohemians) than East Coast wealthy (stodgy old dowagers).
Triangles Café in Danbury is also in Fairfield County.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:10 PM

109 posts, read 398,240 times
I am very confused by this whole thread. And please do not take this that I am homophobic in anyway. Because I am absolutely not. But if everyone wants equal rights, why go through the hassle of finding "gay bars" or different cultures. Just blend in like everyone else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut