Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:39 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,690 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to NF and I remember reading years ago about a family or couple murdered on Thanksgiving. ANnyone remember this? I am trying to google it but nothing comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:43 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
I just recently moved to NF and I remember reading years ago about a family or couple murdered on Thanksgiving. ANnyone remember this? I am trying to google it but nothing comes up.
I do. It rocked New Fairfield and the otherwise safe Danbury area (one of the safest areas in the nation). If it can happen in New Fairfield (or Cheshire...) it can happen anywhere.

Man Is Accused of Murder in Couple's Death - New York Times

Old 09-09-2008, 10:06 AM

92 posts, read 203,070 times
Yes, they were murdered Thanksgiving day maybe about 6 years ago. The murderer was the nephew of residents who live(d) on Weldon Woods Road, I think. He was visiting from down south somewhere(Tennesse maybe? I can't remember 100%) Anyway, Thanksgiving morning he went out for a walk (to town, I think is what the story was), but instead wound up entering the house of an elderly couple on Route 39. He beat the husband and wife to death with a blunt object (can't remember if it was a baseball bat, stick, whatever). After killing them, he stole their car and fled. It was later that morning that the elderly couple's children came to the house to find their parents dead. Police apprehended the guy on I-684. He was about 19-20 years old with a history of mental illness...in fact, I think one of his parents was a psychiatrist. Very sad story. Entirely random and senseless!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 AM

Here's a copy of a NY Times article (He was from Kentucky, not TN, sorry about that)

A Thanksgiving Day Double Killing Stuns a Rural Connecticut Town

By DAVID M. HERSZENHORN
Published: November 30, 2002
Many people in this affluent rural town are unaccustomed to locking their doors. But that began to change today, after two neighbors were found murdered in their home here on Thanksgiving morning in what the authorities said appeared to be a random attack.

[cut - copyrights]

Last edited by Administrator; 09-23-2008 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: [cut - copyrights]

Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 24,558 times
I'm glad I saw this, because we were thinking of relocating to the same area for work.
Yuk!

Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM

It has nothing to do with the area. It happened 6 years ago and was committed by someone from Kentucky who happened to be visiting relatives who lived in the area. Obviously a psychopath, who thankfully was locked up the same day he committed this horrible act. Read the first sentence of the NY Times article: "Many people in this affluent rural town are unaccustomed to locking their doors." I can tell you six years later, that's pretty much still the case. It's a quiet town where nothing really ever happens, except for Thanksgiving Day 2002. If it was the norm, it wouldn't have been news worthy and the NY times would ever have picked up the story.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:27 PM

467 posts, read 1,865,877 times
I never understood the not locking the doors thing, though. I grew up in Newton, Mass., which for several years was #1 on Morgan Quitno's safest cities in America list, and we ALWAYS locked the door, no matter what. I've never not been at home without a door locked. I've never left the house without locking the door behind me. Now I live in NYC, but when I move, it'll stay the same. Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me? It's also very popular in Canada.
Sad story, though. Has nothing to do with NFF as a town, absolutely.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 AM

403 posts, read 1,324,992 times
I would not view New Fairfield in a negative light because of this one horrific incident. New Fairfield is a very safe and quiet town. I too remember this story, how can one forget?

Old 09-12-2008, 05:32 PM

240 posts, read 1,371,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreastercat View Post
I'm glad I saw this, because we were thinking of relocating to the same area for work.
Yuk!
You would be a fool to pass up New Fairfield based on one random act of violence committed by a mentally disturbed human. I have worked in and around the area for many years, have MANY close friends who live there. NF is a terrific community made up of wonderful people.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom62 View Post
You would be a fool to pass up New Fairfield based on one random act of violence committed by a mentally disturbed human. I have worked in and around the area for many years, have MANY close friends who live there. NF is a terrific community made up of wonderful people.
Yeah really. If you limited yourself to moving to places where nothin has ever happened, I thinnk you would be living out in the middle of no where. Things happen everywhere, even in nice places. I would reconsider. New Fairfield is a very nice town. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut