Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 19,790 times

Advertisements

Hi - We are relocating to CT from San Diego in January and need advice as to where to live. My husband will be working in Wallingford & I am a stay at home mom of 2 (newborn & toddler). We will rent for the first year and I would like to live somewhere close to where the "action" is. I'm an active person who likes to get outside and meet people or just people watch. I have been looking at West Hartford but am concerned that my husband's commute will be too far or that we will not be able to find a house to rent. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on New Haven? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:01 AM

625 posts, read 2,049,834 times
You would definitely be able to find a house to rent in West Hartford, but I agree that the commute time to Wallingford would be less than desirable. New Haven would probably be a better option regarding commute time. Additionally, New Haven is filled with great artistic, educational, and entertainment options, so you'd have more than enough to keep you busy, and plenty of people to watch. Good luck with your move to the area!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 23,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigh View Post
Hi - We are relocating to CT from San Diego in January and need advice as to where to live. My husband will be working in Wallingford & I am a stay at home mom of 2 (newborn & toddler). We will rent for the first year and I would like to live somewhere close to where the "action" is. I'm an active person who likes to get outside and meet people or just people watch. I have been looking at West Hartford but am concerned that my husband's commute will be too far or that we will not be able to find a house to rent. Any suggestions? Any thoughts on New Haven? Thanks so much!

If you have young kids do NOT move to New Haven. There may be cheap apartments but the crime and violence are not worth it. Yes there is plenty to do, but I wouldnt risk living there.

I have lived in CT for 24 years and in 6 different towns. Look into Middletown (near Cromwell line), Cromwell, Southington, Cheshire, Hamden (near Cheshire), North Haven, Durham, Rocky Hill, or even look into Wallingford (there is alot to do around there). Sleeping Giant state park is there and from the middle of CT it is only a 2 hour drive to Boston or New York. The commute on 91 is not bad unless there is an accident which happens about once or twice a month.

Look on a map and just pick out towns around Wallingford and then look up places to rent from there. Most towns have apts or condos to rent and since the housing market is so bad right now you might even find someone who is willing to offer renting their house with an option to buy.

Good Luck and hope your kids like snow!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:56 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Wallingford is a typical Connecticut suburban town- as to its 'where the action is' NO. Pretty sedate. West Hartford has more of a West coast ambiance- with eastern flair and urbane sophistication.

New Haven which is close to Wallingford is funky, 'Old' and with a sparkling new world east coast subtlety.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:18 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
If you have young kids do NOT move to New Haven. There may be cheap apartments but the crime and violence are not worth it. Yes there is plenty to do, but I wouldnt risk living there.
I'm afraid I have to agree with this. New Haven is a fun place to visit, but to be honest I wouldn't want to live there with young children. There are too many dangerous areas in the city. Maybe you could look into somewhere close to New Haven, such as North Haven.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info - What would be a rough commuting time from West Hartford to Wallingford?

Old 09-05-2008, 12:35 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Shigh - To recommend anything we would need to know what you are looking for and price. There are many nice communities nearby. Please note that West Hartford is about 25 miles from Wallingford and would take about 35 minutes to travel. The commute would not be bad since your husband would be going against traffic.

Since your husband is going to work in Wallingford, I would suggest you rent there. It is a nice diverse town with decent schools and pretty much everything you would need including some apartments you might find nice. There is a nice small downtown area in wallingford that has some street activities. You should check it out.

You might also want to consider one of the shoreline communities like Milford, Guilford, Madison or Branford. All are excellent locations. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-05-2008, 12:43 PM

One of the reasons I am leaning towards West Hartford is that our families live in Shrewsbury, MA, but like I said, I don't want my husband to go crazy with his commute but at the same time, I will need to get out of the house frequently so I don't go crazy either. As far as housing, we are looking to rent a 3br with a maximum of $2000 a month. I really appreciate everyone's help, this will be a big change for me since I have not lived on the East Coast in more than 15 years!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM

271 posts, read 1,278,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
There are million $$ condos/lofts occupied by some of the most intelligent people in this country (yale profs). That speaks volumes about New Haven.

'nuff said.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:29 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,834 times
There are 10 houses for rent in WH right now that are $2,000 or less a month, so it is completely doable. Like Jay said, the commute from WH to Wallingford will be at least 35 minutes, depending on where you'd live in WH and where the job is located in Wallingford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut