Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,991 times

Advertisements

Hi I am curious if anyone has any comments on Elmwood Avenue in Norwalk and perhaps the surrounding blocks? There seems to be lots of gorgeous old Victorians on Elmwood that either have been or are being rehabbed and from the history of property sales I've pulled from 2003-2008 there doesn't seem like much turnover.

A block or two off of Elmwood toward Taylor it can get to be somewhat sketchy but that immediate area seems fairly stable. Obviously the school issues for SONO go without saying but one isn't planning on children and is an experienced big city/urban dweller (Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh & DC) what do you think?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 AM

202 posts, read 702,579 times
Even though I live in Norwalk, I don't know Elmwood. But I will say that in general people who live in cities get a good sense of an area. I lived in Queens and Yonkers before moving to Norwalk so my comfort level and expectations were different than, say, someone who has lived in New Canaan all his life. I'd recommend that you explore Elmwood at night (by car) and see how it feels to you. You've obviously done some research; now you should get a first-hand impression of the street and the area. This a subjective matter. My elderly parents, still in Queens, live in a so-so area where anything left on the front lawn will get stolen, houses get burglarized, and there is crime. Yet, they feel fine there. Everyone is different.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,991 times
Aibutiej, thanks so much for your perspective. All common sense and the same approach I’ve used in the past when I moved into neighborhoods in Philly, Brooklyn, Pittsburgh and DC. I’ve grown up in inner city Philly and am very much aware of my surrounding…except for my brief mental lapse on the NY subway years ago which resulted in $20 being relinquished at gun point! DOH!!

I’ll likely reach out to the street/homeowner association president to discuss the area a bit more in-depth and also their plans at preservation and revitalization. As an aside, SONO isn’t new grounds for me either as I’ve been living for near two years on Flax Hill.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 498 times
Elmwood Avenue does not look the same anymore , many Historic affluent people had resided there Now Not anymore , I would buy a Home there so much History going on google Elmwood Ave 1905 and behold its beauty indeed, Overlooking the long Island Sound is wonderful indeed , a friend of mine lives in the largest mansion he lovingly restored to it"s awesome stately reminder The Lockwood House a huge Queen Ann Structure with Turret avid gardens and a Mystrious Passage underground that led to the merchant sailing Ships that anchored on the sound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut