Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 AM

48 posts, read 99,094 times

Advertisements

hi i am a sbf 40 years old with a teenage son, looking to relocate to ct from virginia beach.. i am a certified paralegal, so i am not really worried about finding a job in my field. Right now am just focusing on finding a safe place for my son and I.. initially i will most likely rent looking for 2/3 bedrooms no more than 1500 a month, nice school district please help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,916,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmy View Post
hi i am a sbf 40 years old with a teenage son, looking to relocate to ct from virginia beach.. i am a certified paralegal, so i am not really worried about finding a job in my field. Right now am just focusing on finding a safe place for my son and I.. initially i will most likely rent looking for 2/3 bedrooms no more than 1500 a month, nice school district please help!!!!!
Your best bet would probably be the Hartford or New Haven areas. They are affordable for their location (between Boston and NYC). Are you looking for a place with good schools?

According to CNN's cost of living calculator, just about everything is a bit more expensive when comparing SE VA and the Hartford area. Housing and food costs are about 14% more, while utilities will be much higher than VA.

Of course CNN's calculator isn't 100% accurate but it can give you a general idea.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 PM

yes i am looking for a good school district, and even more importantly than that is safety. I've been reading the threads and I hear hartford has an extremely high crime rate. Eventually i want to buy a house but initially i will rent. I am relocating from Virginia Beach, which has a low crime rate per capita.. thank you so much kidyankee764 for the advice

Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 6,527,140 times
I would recommend either west hartford, glastonbury or newington. Rentals will be more plentiful in WH and newington, but you can probably find something in Glastonbury as well. Schools are fine in all 3 towns and the location of each will allow you easier access to jobs which will most likely be in Hartford. However, there are law firms in all three towns that I mentioned as well.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
I agree with UConn97. These are very nice towns outside of Hartford with good to excellent schools. Great places to raise a family. Jay

Old 09-09-2008, 03:31 PM

9,863 posts, read 14,191,241 times
Quote:
Try the suburbs of Hartford or the suburbs of New Haven--both very nice areas. New Haven city has some bad areas, but it is very lively with a lot to do cultural-wise, great restaurants, and has energy due to the many colleges/universities in town. Hartford has some good things going on downtown, but most of the city is rough and blighted. The suburbs in either city are probably your best bet. You *might* want to also check out Fairfield. Excellent schools and super safe. It's a suburb of Bridgeport.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:58 PM

103 posts, read 426,435 times
Around Hartford, I concur with the previous posts - W Hartford, Newington, Glastonbury. You might also try Farmington and Rocky Hill. Each town is different but have the following in common - close to highways and businesses, have a good supply of rental housing and have good schools.

One more idea - you might want to look at condos and single families for rent, in addition to more traditional apartments.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks guys, I will definitely look into W Hartford, Newington, Glastonbury, Farfiled and some of the other towns you all have listed. I really appreciate the information and I plan on going up there to CT pretty soon to get a feel of the state. Once again, thanks so much for the information.!!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:27 PM

hey can someone tell me the real deal about west hartford? I keep hearing conflicting things about the town some say its nice others say the area is blighted.. I am looking to relocate to CT very soon, next summer to be exact, so whats really going on in W Hartford? help please

Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times
Quote:
hey can someone tell me the real deal about west hartford? I keep hearing conflicting things about the town some say its nice others say the area is blighted.. I am looking to relocate to CT very soon, next summer to be exact, so whats really going on in W Hartford? help please
West Hartford blighted??? I don't think so. There are a couple of neighborhoods that are a bit older and less pristine but I would NOT call them blighted by any stretch of the imagination. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut