Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:23 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

A number of years ago, Willimantic merged with the Town of Windham. Before that it may have been a borough which is kind of independent. Jay

Old 09-14-2008, 06:26 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
I hate to argue with you UCONN99, but Willimantic is truly backwards in every aspect. All I can remember is when we (Bacon Academy) would play Windham High in high school athletics.
I do have a question for you.

How long ago was that. Please just answer honestly.

Keep in mind Willi is a small city. Small cities in CT have their problems...and yes maybe a shelter or two. Avon is NOT a small city, nor is New Canaan. You can't compare two of the richest towns in CT to one of the poorer cities. You just can't. Please stop.

That Hartford Courant article is OLD...if I remember right it was from 2001! A lot has changed in 7 years. Yes there was a large influx of Puerto Rican's...but there was a large influx of poor French Canadians at one time too..."Frog City"? Hello? Perhaps those people are starting to assimilate and become productive citizens.

One project alone should get accolades. The revamped Mill into apartments for artists and such.

(Image used with permission)

The city is starting to get a bohemian crunchy earthy feel...and beleive me - I am FAR from the crunchy type but it's nice to see progress regardless.

Places like the Willimantic Brewing Company in the old post office are a good example of what's happening to main street.

The 3rd Thursday Street fest if a lot of fun too...I've traveled down myself to enjoy it.
From May to October, on the 3rd Thursday of each month, 5 blocks of Main St. are closed to vehicular traffic for the evening & filled with festival-goers.

Thousands of pedestrians browse merchandise within a background of musical, theatrical, visual & olfactory delights. There are clowns and bands and stilters to entertain you as you meander through the fest. Local & regional vendors set tables in the street showcasing the wealth of goods produced in CT.
Third Thursday Street Fest

YouTube - Jambalaya (on the Bayou)

Not many cities shut down their main street once a month for a celebration...it's pretty unique.

A video about Eastern and downtown:

YouTube - Downtown Willimantic

I'll stop now as I'm getting wordy. Perhaps I just see thing different than you. Rather than repeat stories of "tripping over needles" I'll go and see what's actually happening in a city and applaud the progress. I've found some jewels such as above because of it.

Willi has a way to go, but it's on a positive path. I hope it keeps on going.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:28 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
Willimantic is part of the town of Windham.

Is this true??? Willimantic isn't its own municipality??

Although I go to UCONN, I've only been to Willimantic once.
True: the city government of Willimantic was dissolved in 1983 and the area reverted to the town of Windham.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:03 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
I hate to argue with you UCONN99, but Willimantic is truly backwards in every aspect. All I can remember is when we (Bacon Academy) would play Windham High in high school athletics. One of my teammates was walking around with sandals, and a girl from Windham High came up to him and warned him about wearing an open-toed sandal around the campus, and to be weary of hypodermic needles. Perhaps that is saying something about the character of Willimantic?

Or how about when Willimantic was FEATURED on the Hartford Courant a while back as being a heroin capital in the general region, if not the United States. I've worked at a soup kitchen in Willimantic and have had first hand experienced with some of the homeless residents. I think the fact that Willimantic has a soup kitchen is great by all means, but perhaps that also says something about the character of the city. I don't think you will find a soup kitchen in Avon, New Canaan, etc.

My brother goes to Eastern, when I would visit him all of his friends would NEVER venture out into the city, fearing "Willirico" as they dubbed it. The Victorian homes you keep talking about are simply reminders of what Willimantic used to be, not what it has become. There have been no improvements in the city whatsoever, and it goes largely unnoticed by the state.

The original poster said straight out that they were avoiding Willimantic, therefore I don't think you need to convince him otherwise.
I'd have to agree. I'd rather live in Hartford, Bridgeport or New Haven (all cities with great and not so great sections, but with plenty of violent crime) than in Willimantic where generally violent crime is low.

The city is just trashy. No, I didn't just "pass through", I basically lived there for 8 months while I dated a girl from ECSU. There are a ton of drugs (BK parking lot after 11pm on a weekend, you'll find any drug you could ever want), and a few ex-friends entered ECSU sober and came out not so much. It's not that I'm blaming their personal drug use on Willi but it still doesn't give me positive thoughts on the city given they were able to routinely get all kinds of drugs from random, shady people off campus.

Anyone who says Willimantic is desirable and a decent place to live/raise a family probably hasn't ever lived there...

Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Avon is NOT a small city, nor is New Canaan. You can't compare two of the richest towns in CT to one of the poorer cities. You just can't. Please stop.
Also Avon is upper-middle class - far from what New Canaan, Greenwich and Darien are like. Sorry, just in a disagreeing mood today.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:19 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There are a ton of drugs (BK parking lot after 11pm on a weekend, you'll find any drug you could ever want), and a few ex-friends entered ECSU sober and came out not so much. It's not that I'm blaming their personal drug use on Willi but it still doesn't give me positive thoughts on the city given they were able to routinely get all kinds of drugs from random, shady people off campus.

Anyone who says Willimantic is desirable and a decent place to live/raise a family probably hasn't ever lived there...

I think I agree with JViello here. If you'd like to come to UCONN one day, I can introduce you to some "random, shady" people that would sell you drugs on or off campus. That has nothing to do with the way the people in Mansfield live their lives.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
I think I agree with JViello here. If you'd like to come to UCONN one day, I can introduce you to some "random, shady" people that would sell you drugs on or off campus. That has nothing to do with the way the people in Mansfield live their lives.
These random shady people you speak of...are they homeless, or jobless, or do they have needles in their arms, or carry a weapon (gun, knife, knuckles), or do they walk around cracked-out on the sidewalks looking to sell drugs, like they do somewhere else? My guess is no.

Sorry, I don't have anything against large cities and every city has crime. But when people try to paint Willimantic with beautiful colors, I can't help but think of my experience there.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:33 AM

722 posts, read 1,982,417 times
lol..they might share the "jobless" characteristic, that's why they sell drugs.

But I see what you mean though.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
lol..they might share the "jobless" characteristic, that's why they sell drugs.
True, didn't think of that.

I think the kids who sell drugs at the colleges are upper-middle class suburban kids who need beer money for the weekend.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:37 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,094 times
JViello- I am currently a sophomore in college, so to answer your question the incident occured a mere year and a half ago. Also, I was using Avon and New Canaan as extreme examples as those are both desirable towns to reside. Willimantic is not. I'm sorry but it just isn't and I could ramble on about the reasons why, but apparantly, I will get nowhere with you.

Also, the Hartford Courant article should not be thrown aside. Like the city has cleaned up COMPLETELY in seven years. Let's be real can we? Just accept the truth and get on with your life. JEEZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut