Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,430 times

Advertisements

I just landed a job in Rocky Hill CT, I wasn't sure if it was a good place for younger people to live or if I might try another town in the surrounding area. I was familiar with the surrounding towns but I haven't lived there in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:14 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,271 times
What's the maximum commute time you'd want?

Hartford has a good young professional base at this point and there are many rental opportunities Downtown, as they've built a lot of new apartment space. Dining and bar options are pretty good.

West Hartford also has a draw because of the Center and its walkability. You'll always see younger people out and about at the bars and restaurants.

Rocky Hill does have a good YP base too because a lot of the housing stock is condos and apartments. It's just more spread out than other areas.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
What's the maximum commute time you'd want?

Hartford has a good young professional base at this point and there are many rental opportunities Downtown, as they've built a lot of new apartment space. Dining and bar options are pretty good.

West Hartford also has a draw because of the Center and its walkability. You'll always see younger people out and about at the bars and restaurants.

Rocky Hill does have a good YP base too because a lot of the housing stock is condos and apartments. It's just more spread out than other areas.
Although I'll agree with you about West Hartford, I disagree about the young professional base in Hartford.

I've worked in real estate in the Hartford area for the past 11 years and I attend BOMA meetings and events frequently. Although Hartford has tried extremely hard to attract more young professionals, it's still significantly lacking.

Hartford is not a happening city - it's pretty much a 9-5 city. There's really not a lot going on anymore, not to mention the parking issues. Another issue Hartford has is not investing in their education and young professional base. The Metro Hartford Aliance has put together a program for young professions, but not many people take advantage of it.

Last edited by Leilani Vasquez; 09-10-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-10-2008, 10:13 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. Hartford is a more urban area with some nightlife (despite what Leilani Vasquez says). There are clubs, restaurants and bars downtown. What there is not is a lot of shopping that you would find in larger cities.

That said another option would be Middletown. It has a lot of apartments and young people. There is Wesleyan and a very nice small downtown with bars and restaurants. It is very convenient to Rocky Hill. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 7,430 times
I'd be willing to commute up to an hour a day if I had to. I never considered Middletown, it might be a good option.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:56 AM

The Cromwell/Middletown line is nice and has a large apartment community.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswip View Post
I'd be willing to commute up to an hour a day if I had to. I never considered Middletown, it might be a good option.
If you are considering Middletown...check out the Westlake Area. Lots of nice condo's and aparments and easy access to pretty much anywhere. Lots of young folks. Walking/Jogging/Blading trails etc etc.

Jay and myself have a little in common with that area and speak first hand.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 AM

A friend of mine has lived in that area since she landed her teaching job and she loves it...right off the highway and access to a lot of shopping too.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,271 times
Leilani- I disagree with your statements regarding Hartford and young professionals. I am a member of the young professional group through the Metro Hartford Alliance. It has over 1,500 members. That's a significant group. They have multiple activities every month, both educational and social, and all are well attended.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
Leilani- I disagree with your statements regarding Hartford and young professionals. I am a member of the young professional group through the Metro Hartford Alliance. It has over 1,500 members. That's a significant group. They have multiple activities every month, both educational and social, and all are well attended.
I didn't know it has that many members. I was going off of here-say from a colleague.

I used to go to the happy hours through the rising stars program in downtown hartford and there wasn't many people. There have also been many reports issued stating that Hartford is losing many of its young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut