U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 21,062 times

Advertisements

I am a soon to be college graduate and have been given an offer to work for a company in the Milford area. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any information about the area. Is this a good/fun place to live for young adults? Also, would this area be a good place to raise a family in the future? Are the schools good? Crime rate low? etc. Any information at all would be good. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 07:43 AM

42 posts, read 80,283 times
I can't beleive no one answered this!!
I live in Orange, go to Milford a lot. Milford is a good place to raise a family. There are lots of good neighborhood.
Elementry schools are good. I personely would not send my kids to public schools there beyond that but that's pretty much how I feel about every public schools, middle schools on...

There are a couple of places in Milford to go out and also New Haven is not far.

Steph

Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,626,409 times
One of my best friends lives in a lovely development in Milford with her husband and son. She raves about the schools there and loves her neighborhood. Like Steph3kids said, New Haven is extremely close.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:06 AM

14,605 posts, read 23,277,714 times
Milford is a very nice small city with a lot to offer. It has a wide variety of housing choices and a lot of nice neighborhoods and apartment/condo complexes. The schools are very good and there are a lot of family activities. Shopping is very good since Milford is the home of the regions major shopping mall and has a lot of stores and shops along Route 1. There are nice beaches and parks there and there is easy access to New York via the Metro-North Commuter rail. For singles, Milford may be a bit quite but it is near New Haven which has a lot going on. I hope this helps, Jay

Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 21,062 times
Thanks for the info.

How is the cost of living in Milford? Do the surrounding areas have cheaper housing costs?

Old 09-14-2008, 12:54 AM

578 posts, read 1,429,182 times
How does Milford compare to Stratford/Trumbull?

Do people in Milford go into Fairfield County or Fairfield much...or they venture more to New Haven?

Last edited by JayCT; 09-14-2008 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Off topic posting

Old 09-14-2008, 06:07 AM

2,822 posts, read 2,969,733 times
bluecountry,

Why do you constantly ask about the geographical sports/new england feel question? You've just about covered every city in Connecticut with this question.

Frankly, I could care less what sports team residents follow. It certainly wouldn't affect my decision as to where I chose to live.

The OP is looking for real information related to the desirability of living and possibly raising a family in Milford. Schools, crime, affordability, and convenience are the driving factors that most people use to make a decision on where to live not sports fans.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:17 PM

42 posts, read 95,244 times
You will be fine in Milford both as a young adult and as a parent.

Live close to downtown as a young adult, you can walk to the bars if you live next to Milford Center. The bars are always weekend packed, with other good restaurants in the area, as well.

As an adult, you have your pick of the litter, to live near the beach, or bucolic areas, or everyday residential areas. And all are family friendly.

If there is crime, you would never know it.

And the schools are real good.

Immediate surrounding areas: Stratford and West Haven - both are less desireable.
Stratford south of the center just feels really boxed in with the amount of houses and little property each have. North of the center if feels a little better. Taxes are comparable to Milford.

West Haven taxes are nuts as high as $7,000 for little to no property, the town is not zoned at all the farther you get from Milford. Schools I can not comment on, but definitely more crime.

I just think you will get a better retun on your investment living in Milford: family, young adult like, and property.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 15,779 times
ARE YOU KIDDING ME! MILFORD IS HORRIBLE!!! THEIR IS NOTHING TO DO..all the kids that grow up there end up doing drugs and drinking and getting arrested because their is nothing to do their..HOW DO I KNOW? I GREW UP THERE! Don't be fooled by downtown either..BORING..Milford is a horrible boring town with rude people..the schools are horrible and have the highest drop out rate in the State..yes you can look that up too..i moved out of here and thank god for that..

Old 09-21-2008, 01:30 PM

719 posts, read 1,281,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC252 View Post
ARE YOU KIDDING ME! MILFORD IS HORRIBLE!!! THEIR IS NOTHING TO DO..all the kids that grow up there end up doing drugs and drinking and getting arrested because their is nothing to do

These must be the kids that don't go to UCONN, lol, because there are a ton of people in UCONN that are from Milford. They all brag to me that their mall is much better than the one in Waterbury. So if there's a mall there, I'm sure there are other things to do for kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut