U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 PM

981 posts, read 969,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Getting back to the topic, we pay a bi-annual registration fee as well as yearly personal property taxes.
Is the bi-annual registration fee high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 PM

154 posts, read 467,757 times
when you say personal property taxes, can you tell me what you are referring to? How is this collected - through things like property taxes and registration fees or something else entirely?

thanks - sorry for the naivete - just not sure what personal property taxes means.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:14 PM

550 posts, read 1,209,267 times
Cars are the most common "personal property" that is taxed. It's driven by the mill rate in the specific town and the assessment of your vehicles. For example, I pay around $600 a year for my 2004 Volvo station wagon and I live in Hartford. (take with a grain of salt that Hartford's mill rate is outrageous, so a similar car in other towns would have a much lower tax)

If you had boats, RVs, etc. those would also be taxed.

Last edited by AmyBergquist; 09-17-2008 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: added my car example

Old 09-17-2008, 11:07 PM

1,817 posts, read 1,963,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
You have to keep in mind when the BEST selling vehicle in texas is a suburban, there is a problem.
I've lived in Texas. I understand the appeal of a Suburban. If you've spent your whole life in CT, I can understand why you do not comprehend why such a vehicle is attractive.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 PM

12,061 posts, read 12,896,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I've lived in Texas. I understand the appeal of a Suburban. If you've spent your whole life in CT, I can understand why you do not comprehend why such a vehicle is attractive.
I've heard from Texas natives that everyone there drives suburbans - what exactly is the appeal? Do they need 4wd? Or have big families? I don't get it...

Old 09-17-2008, 11:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 1,963,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I've heard from Texas natives that everyone there drives suburbans - what exactly is the appeal? Do they need 4wd? Or have big families? I don't get it...
Long, very long, distances between cities. Having lots of room for the long drives necessary to get from A to B. 4X4 is largely unneeded in Texas, but Suburbans also come in 2WD configuration.

If you've never driven in the southwestern US, you cannot really comprehend the distances people have to travel. Having said that, part of the appeal is also to city people who objectively probably don't need the vehicle, but consider it part of their cultural heritage. Keeping in touch with their roots, as it were.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Long, very long, distances between cities. Having lots of room for the long drives necessary to get from A to B. 4X4 is largely unneeded in Texas, but Suburbans also come in 2WD configuration.

If you've never driven in the southwestern US, you cannot really comprehend the distances people have to travel. Having said that, part of the appeal is also to city people who objectively probably don't need the vehicle, but consider it part of their cultural heritage. Keeping in touch with their roots, as it were.
Interesting...thanks.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 AM

8,496 posts, read 9,903,592 times
Quote:
You might be surprised at how many people own Suburbans in Connecticut. In high income places like New Canaan for example, the # of families that own one outnumber the Rovers/LX's/GL's handily.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
You might be surprised at how many people own Suburbans in Connecticut. In high income places like New Canaan for example, the # of families that own one outnumber the Rovers/LX's/GL's handily.
And it's funny, places like Newtown, Monroe, Seymour etc have quite a few Hummers and Rovers. I was driving on Great Hill Rd in Seymour a few days ago and couldn't believe how many high-end Mercedes and BMWs I saw. Recession? What recession? Unless it's people spending what they don't have...

Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 AM

981 posts, read 969,683 times
Quote:
Well, I live in Michigan and GM sells many of those here to. The point was that the car manufacturing powers that be said European cars will not sell in the states, for years they believed this to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut